Fringe = Lost?

“Lost” producer J.J. Abrams is behind the new science fiction drama, “Fringe,” about an airplane flight whose passengers meet untimely ends.

Got this from some CNN article just now.

Sounds an awful lot like Lost. Glad the guy had exactly the same idea twice. :P

And I object to that being labeled as Science Fiction. Lame.

[EDIT]

Please see later posts where I pronounce this awesome. We can definitely conclude that CNN sucks though.

Lost is about survivors of a plane crash. Fringe is about a scenario where everyone dies.

But, seriously, Fringe is supposed to be more like the X-Files. It’s about FBI agents investigating seemingly impossible occurrences. There’s a theoretical physicist in a loony bin as one of the primary characters, too.

Also, to be fair, JJ developed, produced and directed the Lost pilot, but it wasn’t really his idea. I don’t think Fringe is actually his idea either.

Yup. Lost is a show about a plane.
The Deer Hunter is a movie about a wedding.

And I object to that being labeled as Science Fiction.
Why?

Airplane + inexplicable happenings = Lost = Fringe.

It’s the same show.

And even X Files barely qualifies as science fiction. Really only because it has aliens.

Science Fiction - A literary or cinematic genre in which fantasy, typically based on speculative scientific discoveries or developments, environmental changes, space travel, or life on other planets, forms part of the plot or background.

There’s no way you can put Lost next to Star Trek or BSG and claim that Lost is science fiction. If Lost is Science Fiction then so are those shitty soap operas where people come back from the dead and have evil twins.

Actually, by your rules, you can’t even make that judgment about the show yet.

Like Lost, the writers of those shitty soap operas make up things as they go along.

=Soul Plane?

You should probably know that the term ‘science fiction’ is a bit more broad than “Space story with awesome space aliens and nukular lazer beams in space oh and by the way it’s the future or perhaps a long long time ago”. But hey, feel free to define it on your own terms then bitch about a 12-word premise to a show, that you can easily not watch, on the internet. That’s what it’s here for.

If you want to get all Arthur C Clarke about it none of them are science fiction, so why split hairs? What makes warp drive more science fiction than the smoke monster? Why is the teleporter more sci-fi than time travel?

Actually, when I read the synopsis for Fringe I thought it was actually just a ripoff of a single episode of Miracles, the short lived ABC series. That was a cool show… Time to rewatch the DVDs!

I’ll stick to books for my science fiction. TV shows and movies always fuck it up. Except Event Horizon, which was cool as hell.

Event Horizon is your yardstick for sci-fi movie coolness?

Wow.

I don’t think it’s fair to say they “fuck it up”. It’s just that they’re different genres. Sci-Fi books are about ideas, sci-fi movies are about visuals and events.

Well, don’t get me wrong. It isn’t, by far, the best sci-fi movie ever made, but it’s definitely gunning for the most fucked up award.

Errrr…isn’t the whole plane thing just the first episode anyway? This being Abrams, there WILL be an overarching mythology, but I wasn’t under the impression that the show would be a pure serial.

Either way, The Futon Critic liked it well enough, so I guess it’s worth recording.

The whole idea is dumb.

Do you think Fox is looking for a copy of the other show? No. They want the “Abram’s magic”, but they don’t want Lost. And I guarantee that everyone is well aware that they can’t make a copy.

I see your point and have to agree.

The DVD Screener for this new Fox show has leaked to the Torrent sites. Gotta say, it’s particularly good.

There are some Lost vibes about it, but I really think the X-Files comparison is more accurate.

Yea I watched it this morning before work and its got a strong X-Files vibe. Which is fine with me. Pretty strong pilot and I’m looking forward to it this fall.

I give it one thumb up. Possibly two, because it’s not Lost.

I’ll give it a nod. I was expecting something completely different, and was pleasantly surprised that it wasn’t. Oh god though, I definitely wasn’t expecting that douchey guy from Dawson’s Creek to end up being on the show, and a recurring main character no less. The crazy doctor was awesome, and the promise of seeing more crazy technology like the cyborg arm the PR lady was sporting is sweet. The building design at that company (what was it called? Massive Dynamics or something?) was fucking nuts though. The entire time spent in that building I felt I was watching scenes out of Equilibrium or The Island.