Fringe = Lost?

Yeah, Fringe is absolutely worth it for John Noble alone. And Sleepy Hollow annoyed me for wasting his talent. He also had a brief (and hilarious) turn on Legends of tomorrow

All this talk about Fringe , and no mention of the lovely Anna Torv , who apparently has been working the last 7 years, but in nothing I’ve seen.

I didn’t find any forum threads for Secret City but I did for Mindhunter !

And especially her lovely red-headed doppleganger…

The alternate universe needed its own show.

So much this. Fringe gives you the impression the writers knew the story they wanted to tell, and told it from the beginning, where the writers of Lost seemed to be winging it, usually under the influence of hallucinogens.

That said, ignore the final season. Fringe ended with S4(?) as far as I’m concerned.

Secret City was fun even if not great. It’s definitely a good source for your Torv fix.

Yet another mini-necro, sorry, but giving a sad face to this. I thought S5 was a lot of fun, considering it was a 1-season “oh crap we need a new story even though we just ended the story we meant to tell”. Maybe my enjoyment was because I knew this going in - not sure.

While Walter/Olivia are absolutely the reason the watch, another thing that should leave anyone gobsmacked is that you’ll end up liking Pacey (from Felicity). This made me a little nauseated at first.

Yeah I also really enjoyed the end of Fringe, but I haven’t seen it since it aired. Might put a few episodes on as background while I’m working on my quarantine mini painting project.

I’ve just started this - having fun 8 episodes in - but I wonder how many people feel this is an accurate depiction of scientific effort. Seems to line up with some of the comments I’ve been reading on Covid articles…

I loved the first season, but thought it was ruined over and over by how stupid and predictable the series became each of the following ones. I’d suggest watching only the first one and imagining the awesome sci-fi it could have been if it hadn’t been tamed.

Huh. I found the first season very tame in comparison to the later ones.

Well each to their own. I didnt see the later seasons as predictable, in fact they would often hit you with a tie in from an earlier season that was only predictable if you’re one of those people who gather 100 possible outcome and then when one of them hits, says “I knew it!”. Regardless the show is worth watching for John Noble alone. He was fantastic in this entire show. The fact that he never got an Emmy for his work on Fringe is criminal.

Please admire how the poster below you managed to say you could be more respectful while implying I was a self-delusional idiot for having my own opinion at the same time.

Artful gap!

The first season is definitely very different from the rest of the series, so I can see how the later seasons would be a disappointment if you were really into season one. I definitely have mixed feelings as I do enjoy a monster of the week type show but also enjoyed the more serial plot of later seasons. Really, every season of Fringe changes things up quite a bit, I think the change from season one is just the most jarring.

I think what makes the later seasons better (for me) is they stopped being an X-files monster of the week (they did still do this from time to time, which was fun) and more about a larger sci-fi tale being told, and one that I was super into from start to finish. That last season is VERY different (and with good reason) and ties back to so many things from the first season - it’s a super cool show, imo.

As I’ve posted elsewhere (probably even upthread), for the the big difference between the two is that the Fringe writers knew exactly what story they wanted to tell and where the series was headed (up through S4, anyway) while Lost always felt like the writers were just making shit up on the spur of the moment.

This is a great show. I am agog.

I recently finished a curated re-watch of the series focusing on the “Red” plotline and it was really very good. John Noble is fantastic, Anna Torv started slow but eventually displayed some strong qualities, and I also feel like Jasika Nicole is greatly under-rated as Astrid. She’s the straightwoman who ties things together, and the one Astrid-focused episode is one of my favorites. The rest of the cast is pretty strong too.

Also, in hindsight I feel like the show laid the groundwork for the breakout of multi-character portrayal in Orphan Black. Both Anna Torv and John Noble did that thing that I so admired from Tatiana Maslany: you could tell which character they were playing, regardless of costume, without them even speaking, just based on body language and affect. And Fringe did that years earlier than Orphan Black.

a) Hell yes, Fringe is great, everyone should watch it.

b) Yeah, Torv and noble crushed the whole multi-character thing.

c) Oh man, Orphan Black is fantastic too.

d) IDK that I’m convinced that Fringe necessarily broke any ground or laid any foundations in that specific regard.

Fair point - perhaps Fringe didn’t break the ground but I do feel it contributed to preparing the field.