Frosthaven, aka Gloomhaven 2.0

It’s official, it’s huuuuuge and it looks BAD ASS.

Anyone going to Pax U come to Mothman Theater 10AM Saturday!

OMG, that’s awesome! I had no idea that was coming, though in hindsight it would be strange for him to just stop making games, and even stranger for him to abandon his monster hit rather than making it a franchise. I’m all in, to the point where I’m planning on getting on the ground floor this time (in March, looks like, a Kickstarter campaign will begin).

Dang it, the year I decide to skip Pax Unplugged.

He’s been talking about a big box ecpansion on his blog for a while. I’m looking forward to this, and i hope he picked up some legacy mechanic ideas from Rob Davieau.

This is an expansion? I guess I assumed an all new stand alone core game.

I’m interested. I’d like him to experiment with how some of the campaign structure works though. Instead of a big map with just branching story missions, it would be cool if they could make that part of the game more about exploring the map and finding missions, clues for other locations, etc… I wouldn’t mind some type of roguelike mode where you keep fighting battles and see how far you can go with your party, while leveling them up, finding loot, etc…

From the Cephalofair newsletter. Here’s announcement text:

It’s time for a newsletter! So, listen. I thought about starting this off telling you about my recent Pokemon adventures, but there is some serious news that is far more pressing. You know that big Gloomhaven expansion I’ve been talking about and alluding to for the last three years ?

Yeah, I know. Three whole years of teasing and withholding information like a jerk . Well, it’s finally time! Are you ready?

FROSTHAVEN!!!

That’s right, my friend! Frosthaven is coming!

I know, I know, we just announced Jaws of the Lion , and now there’s this, too! So much new Gloomhaven ! Or, err, I mean Frosthaven .

While Jaws of the Lion is geared towards bringing in new players to the Gloomhaven world, Frosthaven is my chance to tell another epic story on the scale of the original game, with the same complexity and grandeur. This is Gloomhaven 2.0, with 16 new characters, over 25 new enemies, over 100 new items, somewhere around 100 new scenarios, and so much more.

So why Frosthaven ? Well, that is the name of a small outpost far to the north of the capital city of White Oak. There, a group of mercenaries at the end of their rope will help bring back this settlement from the edge of destruction. Not only will they have to deal with the harsh elements, but there are other, far more dangerous threats out in the unforgiving cold as well.

There are Algox, the bigger, more yeti-like cousins of the Inox, attacking from the mountains, Lurkers flooding in from the northern sea, and there are even rumors of machines that wander the frozen wastes of their own free will. The party of mercenaries must face all of these perils, and perhaps in doing so, make peace with these new races so they can work together against even more sinister forces.

I could probably rant for a good while about everything that is going to be in this game, but I don’t want to throw out any potential spoilers, and also I am going to be doing a lot of ranting already on Saturday at PAX Unplugged. On Saturday at 10am in the Mothman Theatre, I’ll be doing a live Q&A with Tom Vasel about all things Frosthaven . I’ll answer his questions, and questions from the audience, and it will be a grand old time.

Also you should come by the booth! It will be right under the giant Frosthaven sign, and it will have all sorts of cool stuff. Like, really cool stuff. If you will be at PAX Unplugged, I would absolutely love if you could come and hang out with me. And if you won’t be at the show, that is okay, too! It will be live-streamed by PAX here, so please tune in Saturday 10am EST to get all the Frosthaven infos!

Possibly the scope has changed; but he previously mentioned using maps and such from the base game in the Big Box-expansion.

I think it would be sort of a whiff if they require the base game to play Frosthaven. It shoudl be, at the least, a stand alone expansion that you can use original characters unlocked from the main game if you choose, optionally.

I agree, a standalone expansion would be super cool.

Hopefully it’s more difficult. Winning almost all scenarios on one try is just too forgiving…even if there are dozens of them.

It was driving me crazy that I couldn’t glean what this thread is about from reading the posts contained in it. But I finally gave up and looked it up.

For everyone not in the know, like me, Frosthaven is an event for DOTA 2. (Don’t ask me what that means, exactly, since I’ve never played DOTA 2).

This may just be a “whoosh” post to a joke but just in case… Frosthaven is the sequel to the board game Gloomhaven, as mentioned in the title of the post.

I think he’s kidding, but I honestly can’t tell. It seems like Frosthaven is some sort of DOTA 2 event, after all, but Gloomhaven is right there in the title so now I’m … totally not sure at all.

I guess I should have googled what Gloomhaven was instead of what Frosthaven was to find out what the thread was about.

I got it now. It’s a board game! Nothing to do with DOTA 2.

Heh. Yeah, if I’d known what a Gloomhaven was, there would be no mystery.

That explains that! :)

OP should probably have some additional detail in there, now you mention it.

Holy shit.

It’s a video game, duh.

Wait, does this mean Gloomhaven is so well known, I should have heard of it like I’ve heard of Monopoly, Risk and Settlers of Catan?

No, it means you should have googled “Gloomhaven” instead of being terrible.