Fuck you, ATI! (starring Combat Flight Sim 3)

Just got Combat Flight Simulator 3 this morning. So, I get home, and I’m all excited to play my new game. I install it on my PC, fire it up, see the loading/menu screen and… my screen goes black. Hmm. I reset, log in, and fire up the game again. Same problem, but this time the game just freezes at the menu. I reboot.

After rebooting, I get a nice dialog in the middle of my desktop displaying the following:

Computer restarted after an unexpected shutdown. Microsoft Windows detected a possible device failure.

The driver for this display device was unable to complete a drawing operation. Please check with the device manufacturer for a driver update.

The display driver for RADEON 9700/9500 SERIES seems to be responsible for the system instability.

Fuck. You. ATI. And also a big fuck you to whoever was questioning my post about how I always have to wonder whether new games are going to work or not with the ATI card. Also, fuck star wars.

yawn

Really wumpy, don’t you have any consideration for the young bucks that might read this forum from time to time? Do you really have to curse like you do? You don’t want me to rinse your mouth out with soap do you wumpy? You have such a potty mouth.

hahahah wump(ass)!

yawn

:shock:

Some help for you :

So basically if you have a 9700 you must turn off anti-aliasing and advanced filtering. Also in your BIOS if you have your AGP aperture set to 128 then change that to 64 if the above doesn’t fix the 9700 problem.

And from Microsoft Games Insider :

Known Issues with Graphics in CFS3

Graphic Corruption When Using High Resolutions and/or Color Depths
It is possible to choose resolution and/or color depth settings for your video card that require more memory than you have on your card, which can cause corruption. For example, you may see graphic corruption when running in 1600x1200x32 on an NVidia chipset-based video card. Or, you may see notice that terrain objects lose their color when you bail out of an aircraft. Other symptoms of graphic corruption include mixed, strange, or missing graphics on your aircraft or on the ground. To fix this issue, reduce the resolution and/or reduce the color depth settings on your video card.

Graphic and Sound Corruption When Using High Image Quality Levels
It is also possible to choose an image quality level that may be too detailed for your video card. If you do so, you may experience audio and/or video corruption along with low frame rates. To fix this issue, set a lower Image Quality level in the Display Options dialog box.

General Problems

Shifted Text After Changing Resolution

When you switch resolutions within the game, some parts of the user interface may not display properly (text may shift). To fix this issue, close and reopen the dialog boxes affected by this display problem.

Improving Performance by Turning Off In-Game Animations
If you experience performance problems when using the game interface, quit the game and disable pre-flight animations. Note that this will disable your ability to preview aircraft before you fly.

To disable pre-flight animations:

1.  Open Notepad (click Start on the Windows taskbar, click Programs, click
    Accessories, and then click Notepad).

2. On the File menu, click Open.

3. In the Open dialog box, navigate to game.xml and open the file. Note: The
     location of this file depends on where you've installed CFS3. The default location
     is C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\CFS3\game.xml.

4. In game.xml, change "ShowUIWorld=true" to "ShowUIWorld=false".

5. Save game.xml, and then run CFS3.

HUD Gauges
Some video cards (such as the S3 ProSavage) require textures that have square dimensions. The HUD gauge textures are not necessarily square, so you may see some graphic corruption in HUD gauges.

Flickering Clouds or and Other Graphic Anomalies
On some video cards, you may experience clouds that “flicker in and out.” Alternatively, some objects may appear showing in front of others when they should appear behind them. One possible solution is to enable “High Resolution ZBuffers” and disable “Dual-Pass Rendering.” The instructions for doing so are below.

Note: To perform these steps, you will need to use the CFS configuration application. CFS3’s configuration presets are designed for maximum compatibility with video cards. Changing individual settings within the configuration is not supported and may cause lock-ups or other problems. If you experience these problems, you can use the “Default Settings” menu item to restore your configuration to its original state.

1. Open up the CFS3 Configuration application. An icon is located in your Start menu.

2. Click the File menu.

3. Click the Custom Settings option.

4. Select the Window menu.

5. Select Overrides.

6. Uncheck the "Dual Pass Render" option if it is checked.

7. Check the "High Resolution Z-Buffer" checkbox.

8. Click OK, and then exit the CFS3 Configuration application.

You may experience other graphic anomalies with these options enabled. If this is the case, you can cancel these changes by opening up the CFS3 Configuration application and selecting “Default Settings.”

In-Game Animations
Certain animations, such as propeller spin, may not work when you are in a gunner position and use the external view.

Windows 2000 Drivers
Many video drivers that run on Windows 2000 (especially those that also are designed to work with Windows NT® 4.0) were not designed to run with DirectX 8.0 and, therefore, will not run with CFS3. To fix this problem, download the newest Windows 2000-compatible drivers for your video card.

3DFX Voodoo 3 Series Video Cards
Rain and snow effects will not display on 3DFX Voodoo 3-based video cards. Also, you may experience “square” smoke.

3DFX Voodoo 4 4500 Video Cards
When running CFS3 with this video card, you may experience low frame rates. To improve the frame rate, set the Cloud Detail level to 1.

You may also experience odd patterns (e.g., expanded, striped concrete) on airbases when you fly low. A workaround for this is to disable composite textures using the CFS3Config application, though this will degrade overall appearance of the terrain.

3DFX Voodoo 5 5500 Video Cards
CFS3 may display discontinuous “bands” when used with a Voodoo 5 5500 video card on Windows 2000 computers. To work around this issue, use the 3DFx control panel to disable the second chip.

In addition, you may experience graphic corruption when you change your settings to use millions of colors [32-bit color]. Try using either a lower resolution or thousands of colors [16-bit color].

ATI All-In-Wonder 128
CFS3 may display small triangles when used with an ATI All-in-Wonder 128 Pro.

ATI Rage Fury Maxx
When running CFS3 on a Windows 98SE computer with this video card, some ground objects may flash as you fly over them.

ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
CFS3 may hang shortly after startup using the current version of older drivers for the ATI Radeon 9700-series video cards.

Download the newest drivers from ATI (Catalyst 0.23) to resolve this problem.

Matrox G400, G450 and G550
Under Windows 2000 and Windows XP, there are display problems using a Matrox G450 card. Aircraft, buildings, and terrain lose their coloring and are drawn in white. You can mitigate this problem by setting the Image Quality settings to 1 in the Display Options dialog box.

In addition, if you change the color quality or display resolution within the game, you may experience strange color problems during gameplay. Exiting and restarting CFS3 will fix this problem.

Nvidia NForce Motherboards
CFS3 may crash when used with NVidia NForce-based motherboards. A workaround is to upgrade to the latest Nvidia NForce motherboard drivers.

On some NVidia NForce motherboards where your computer has a video card in addition to on-board video, you may experience hang-ups or lock-ups. The workaround for this is to use the NForce BIOS to disable the on-board video.

Nvidia Vanta TNT Cards
If you are using a Vanta TNT video card with current reference drivers, the target cone may not change color.

Nvidia GeForce 4 TI4600 Cards
You may experience display problems when running in Safe Mode on GeForce 4 TI4600 cards. To fix this problem, raise the Image Quality setting in the Display Options dialog box.

PowerVR Kyro-Based Cards
Computers using PowerVR Kyro series-based video cards cannot display high-detail (composite) terrain. If you are using this card, enabling this feature will corrupt the graphics.

S3 Savage 4 Chipset Video Cards
CFS3 will only run in safe mode (with reduced graphics) on the S3 Savage 4 card under Windows 98, Windows ME, or Windows XP. CFS3 does not run with S3 Savage 4-based chipsets on Windows 2000.

S3 ProSavage Chipset Video Cards
With this card you may have problems seeing smoke through the propeller blades.

Retail (in-the-box) Drivers And Video Cards
The retail drivers that come with the following video cards exhibit display issues when running CFS3. You can solve these problems by updating to the latest reference drivers available from the chipset manufacturer.

Well at least this game isn’t too picky. It has problems with just about everything…

“And also a big fuck you to whoever was questioning my post about how I always have to wonder whether new games are going to work or not with the ATI card.”

No, dork, I was laughing at how you rushed out and bought a 9700 Pro a week after responing to my posted intent to buy a 9700 Pro with a screed about how you had been “once burned, twice shy, baby” and wouldn’t touch a “piece of crap” ATI.

You are the perfect consumer robot.

Actually, I was referring to ciparis in the video card thread. But thanks for thinking of me.

Welp, I’m at a loss.

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?s=0b6092f90332cd031d1b5df8e99f56e9&threadid=33643873

• I have the latest drivers… 6193
  • set AGP aperture to 64mb (this was a problem with Op: Flashpoint Resistance as well)
  • set Direct3D modes to “application preference”

No change whatsoever. ATI’s driver team makes me its collective bitch yet again.

I placed the game in safe mode with the little “CFS3 configuration” tool, and it runs now. But dear god, the hideous graphics. Who can play that way? I’ve seen S3 Virge 3D cards produce better looking screens.

I’m seriously considering reinstalling the Ti 4600 at this point. Like I was saying to ciparis in the other thread

http://www.quartertothree.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1089

additional speed is worthless when your games don’t run, and you have to waste your time troubleshooting crap like this instead of playing the game. Honestly, I haven’t worked this hard to get a video card working since the days of the Voodoo1 and glide patches for DOS games.

Wumpus, thanks but I’ll take a pass :p I don’t do big hairy… things. And if you’re talking about your post sharing your experience… why on earth would someone argue with someone elses experience? :p That’s like arguing with your last name. You had a bad experience, I had a good one. Providing my contrasting experience isn’t a knock :? and I never said people didn’t have real issues. It sucks that you’re having a rotten time, but don’t take it out on me, please :)

Whatever. I even tried reverting to the 6178 drivers with no change in the problem. This is the last straw. Well, actually, reading Bruce Geryk’s review of the game on GameSpot in which he name-drops nVidia was technically the last straw.

9700 Pro, welcome to eBay country!

And anyone recommending ATI cards to unsuspecting Joe Sixpack consumers: shame on you, sir. Shame on you.

When did that game come out?

It came out on the 25th.
As for the 9700 PRO, I haven’t had any issues running the game.

ah four hundred dollars to wait for drivers! Gotta love the vid card upgrade thingy.

etc

Only $322 including shipping. Anyway, the game works great now that I reinstalled the GeForce 4 Ti 4600.

What is up with the developers of flight sims, anyway? I’d swear I’m playing a beta interface. I blow up a ship and this generic “goal 1 of 3 accomplished” message appears? Press <X> to warp? What is this, 1985?

There’s no way around the fact that the 9700 PRO drastically beats any nVidia product in benchmarks.
Of course on the flipside of that statement we’ve got the fact that the GeForce 4 is plenty for any game currently on store shelves.

There’s no way around the fact that the 9700 PRO drastically beats any nVidia product in benchmarks.

When the game doesn’t run, its effective benchmark score is zero. So I declare nVidia the winner.

Unless you’re turning on AA or AF, the 9700 actually isn’t that much faster. Granted, that’s the whole point of the 9700, but I don’t feel like I’m missing a lot by not having it any more. I will kinda miss the possibility of solid 60fps 1600x1200 in some games, but that’s it.

I might buy a radeon if the drivers get better… based on reports that is. Though I think after getting the G4/4600 I’m outta vid card upgrades til arnd Doom 3. … I’m in no rush, most games run fine on my gee4. pretty good actually…

etc

Neither have I. Wumpus, it’s not the card by itself, that’s causing the problem, since other people are running CFS3 with it fine. Not great comfort, I’m sure, and you seem pleased with your decision to scrap it.

Bah, as you said, it is finicky – I’m surprised none of the major hardware review sites has really picked on it for that reason. I feel like I’m walking through a minefield every time I install a new game, but so far that trepidation hasn’t been warranted, in my experience. But that may well mean I’m just a game away from frustration.

newegg get ready for another order from wumpus.

Last time i saw him hate something so much he bought two of them.

Chet
ps. Wumpus are you a twin? Second born?

My GeForce 3 Ti500 is working just fine with all the games I own. Awesome!