Galactic Civilizations 3 announced

Does anyone know when Crusade is releasing on GOG ? Don’t see it there yet and would prefer to buy the whole package there vs Steam if reasonably possible.

Diego

Not a developer, but the tutorial is updated for Crusade. Have only played a few turns, but does seem to incorporate the new stuff.

Brad is on with Angry Joe for the next few ours for the Crusade launch. :)

GOG release will hopefully be tomorrow.

Thankyou Mike

Here’s the release trailer for Crusade. :)

Thank you. Looking forward.

Diego

Torn on picking this up. Steam reviews are mixed, but it is still too early to trust those. A few complaints that map size is limited to small with the expansion? That seems odd.

Fraser Brown really likes it. Except he complains about the ship designer UI. Ship designing is one of the main reasons I couldn’t get into this game. I don’t want to design new ships all the time like it seems like you have to. He makes it sound like the UI is not making it any better.

Anyone with initial thoughts?

That isn’t the case at all, at least in vanilla. The game comes pre-populated designs as you unlock techs. Hopefully that didn’t change with the expansion.

I never design ships. I use the defaults and it works great.

As for small galaxies only in the expansion. That is plain wrong. Its the same as it always was. All the way from tiny to insane.

As for any reviews, unless they have had a pre-release copy there is no way they could post a proper review.

The game is great so far.

I’ll pick this up next paycheck

The complaint on the Steam forums is that the sizes are much smaller, i.e. Insane isn’t near what it used to be. The dev response was “you can mod it, but that’s intentional” (I’m paraphrasing).

From the complaints, it sounds like the Civ6 school of design where other players start out shoved up Uranus. People are idiots, though, so I want to see it for myself.

Ok, you don’t have to design ships, but certainly it helps a lot. For instance, from what I remember the stock ships were not as good what you could build yourself. The colony ship could be vastly improved for the initial planet grab part of the game for example.

Edit: Maybe I am being too harsh.

is any of the galciv3 dlc worth getting?

This made me giggle.

So, I did generate a couple maps. Insane looked like a decent sized map, but selecting Huge (which recommended 20 players but defaulted to 14), it’s absurdly small. I don’t even know if there’s 20 colonizable planets on the map!

Here’s a screenshot of the Huge map. I’m supposed to cram 14 to 20 opponents on this?

For comparison, here’s a 10-player (?!?!) map:

I guess there’s not a lot of eXplore in this one?

No GNN! Is that new with this expansion or did they jettison that nonsense a long time ago?

I can say the small map size limits are bullshit. Even a 7 yr old laptop can run large and huge with no problems.

You don’t have to design new ships- the game will do it for you, and does it more frequently now- performance has been improved overall, and performance was one of the game’s strongest suits to begin with.

The game to me is a real improvement- GalCiv3 to me was technically sound but the gameplay had some issues. I believe this is the best game Stardock themselves has ever put out. (YMMV when you throw Sins/OTC/Ashes into the MIx- but that’s personal preference)

Maps can be cramped, but you can always lower the number of default players to fix it if you don’t like it. Also there are ways to add planets, both in map design and there’s a wonder and ideology choices that can help.

The administrator changes makes the colony rush a bit more of a choice, as there’s also a resource rush- and you can choose between the two. Having resources is almost as important as having planet tiles.

BTW there’s no legit reason for this to be “Mixed” at all right now- this is legitimately a great game.

Brad seems to have noted in one of the negative Steam reviews that the map size limits are a mistake, leading to this.

One thing I notice about the map is it seems to be more colorful - I guess due to the increase in the number of elements. Either way, it looks a hell of a lot better than it did before.

Guess I’ll jettison my current game and restart after tomorrow’s patch.