Galactic Civilizations II v1.3 betas now out

I’m not sure of this of course, but I think that he was game designer/programmer (GC on OS/2), then UI guy (Stardock Window Blinds etc) then game designer again (GC2).

And all along an Evil Capitalist to boot. :)

Either way, point noted.

Thanks for the kind words.

But I’m not a real developer. I’m just a gamer that learned how to program (literally bought Teach Yourself C in 21 days to program the original OS/2 version).

I have read through the Sots thing and can relate to how criticism can sting. I think the main difference is that I don’t get married to what we design.

The people who provide criticism, even harsh criticism are, after all, doing us a favor. Because odds are, if there’s one person thinking something, there may be more. The only question is time and budget to look into what is brought up.

Besides, if things get out of hand, I always have my key phrase: “I’ll cut you, man!!” ;)

You have successful, commercial games under your belt. That’s about as real as it gets, Brad. ;)

I don’t get married to what we design.

That, in a nutshell, is one of the keys to good design. Not just game design, either–it applies to any creative endeavor.

Bah! Having sold, what, 100k+ units of a game in a genre considered ‘niche’ and ‘out of date’ qualifies you.

If that doesn’t make you a very, very real developer, you’re doing a damn good impression!

Agreed. And Stardock talk to their players, and are totally open about what they do, and why, and how. Thats so missing from most devs these days. I used to get told off all the time at LH for daring to be on the official forums discussing the game with people who were looking forward to it. Companies have become so big, so corporate, and so paranoid about lawyers etc, that they isolate their staff from their players. Thats madness, and I can’t praise SD highly enough for their developer visibility.
Making an ass-kicking game also helps, and embracing digital distro is just the icing on the cake.

Oh sure, Brad gets all the credit. pfffft. :)

Tom, I’ll be glad to give you credit, soon as I know what you mean … expound please!

Cliffski - what’sLH? Lighthouse?

Lionhead