Game development projects in 2021

For my part, it’s almost impossible to get long chunks of time to work on stuff when I have a kid around. I’m just trying to ‘keep the flame alive’ for the time being by working when I can. I’m hoping after the pandemic when the little one is in school I might be able to find a bit more time. Coding isn’t something you can dip into and out of in half-hour chunks, at least not when you’re as much of an amateur as I am.

I’ve been moving along at a glacial pace with my RPG but it sure is fun when something works. I’m just trying to get all the basic stuff in place (NPCs, conversations, combat, inventory, etc.) and then try to add some fun stuff to the mechanics before I actually start to make the content. At my current rate, I anticipate it’ll be on Steam in about 2045.

Someday I’d like to pay someone for some custom graphics, but that’s a long way off if I can even spare the money. For now I’m using my own Grandma Moses stylings buttressed by some stolen pixel art portraits. I know there are a ton of good tilesets out there, some even free to use, but for now at least it’s more fun to do my own graphics.