Game journalism backlash - the microcosm theory

Really? Can you name one? Which game of ours didn’t deserve coverage? And have you bought or played Depression Quest?

Depression Quest resonated with a lot of people with depression, so they upvoted it on Greenlight. Many people have claimed it literally saved their lives. Who is anyone to say they’re wrong?

Many people? What constitutes many? 0? 1?

Besides, I have no objection to Depression Quest anyway. So you’re wasting your time constructing some strawman about it. My professional opinion is that it wouldn’t normally have gotten coverage except that ZQ did a good PR job on it which I also have no problem with.

Bringing Zoe Quinn’s sex life and personal relationships into this is just fucking scummy. There are infinite variables that contribute to the publicity behind a game, and there’s no concrete evidence that Zoe Quinn’s personal relationships or sex life caused Depression Quest to get more press than it deserved.

I agree. Are you attempting to knock down some strawman or something? I don’t think anyone in this thread has suggested that DQ got coverage because Quinn was sleeping with journalists.

What IS being said is that there are people who believe that is the case. I think they are wrong.

Bringing it up is just misogynistic bullshit. No male developer has ever received such horrific, deplorable scrutiny.

LOL.

How many posts are there on this thread? Do you have any idea how many forums allowed for uncensored, unmoderated discussion on that?

Now, 2 years later, we can only point and shame those who said the vile things in those threads but the fact is, when something that appears illicit comes up, people talk about it. It has nothing to do with misogyny.

And, once again, on the “Gamers are Dead” bullshit:

Yes, I can choose to believe it. Because someone else already did the work to look through all of those articles.

And I didn’t even need someone else to tell me what to think. I read the articles myself and formed my own opinion – colored by the fact that I personally know many of the writers and have been dealing with the gaming press for two decades as part of my job.

To re-iterate:

It’s the exact same thing that happens around the internet every day. Re-postings, commenting, re-blogging, whatever. There is nothing unique about this story that doesn’t happen with countless other stories every day.

Except, only one side of the argument was allowed to be posted on many sites. Multi-thousand post threads were deleted off Reddit and elsewhere.

What made this unique was that a small group of gamers criticized the gaming media, the media responded by throwing a temper tantrum and made massively broad strokes accusing gamers, IN GENERAL, of having misogynistic tendencies.

The basic problem with the gaming media is that some of them don’t realize there’s a whole world outside their bay area cocoon.

You’re just so fucking convinced there’s a devious conspiracy that that’s all you can see.

What conspiracy? That like minded people tend to react consistently to a particular issue is not a conspiracy.