Game Music 2: Beyond Thunderdome

Welcome back to the Game Music Thunderdome!

If you missed the first time around, you can check it out here: Enter the Game Music Thunderdome. The gist is that everyone nominates their favorite game music tracks, and they’re pitted against one another in bloody single combat (i.e. we all vote on which one should be eliminated each day). It’s fun, and a good way to get exposed to some new music.

For Thunderdome veterans, I’ve made a few tweaks to the tournament structure this time around, so listen up.

Nomination Process

• Nominations are open from now until June 18, when voting will start.
  • You may nominate from 1 to 4 tracks of your choice.
  • All tracks must be original to a video game (no licensed tracks or remixes).
  • The official nomination record is this sheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xyp8L6hTmKOln831VsVASG3vjSlV57cF0cUTIcUDVKY/edit?usp=sharing . Feel free to post or discuss your nominations in this thread as well, but the sheet is the source of truth for compiling the bracket.
  • When adding nominations, please CTRL-F and make sure nobody else has already entered them.
  • Do not re-nominate tracks that made the top 32 of the first Thunderdome. We’ve listened to them enough for now, and it’s time for new blood.
  • If you want to nominate a track that is not currently on Youtube, please upload it yourself. A painless way to do this if you have an mp3 is to use tunestotube.com.
  • If you want to nominate a single track that is part of a longer video on Youtube, the best solution is to re-upload it yourself a la carte. If you aren’t able to, you can specify the start and end timestamps in the link itself. For example, ‘&start=1m20s&end=3m05s’ placed at the end of a Youtube link will run from the 1 minute, 20 second mark to the 3 minute, 5 second mark.
  • The signup sheet has an opening for a link to an image of boxart or title screen. This is optional, but is convenient for anyone who wants to compile a visual bracket.

Tournament Structure

• The tournament will have a group stage, followed by a single-elimination bracket.
  • All voting rounds will be posted on weekdays and open for a minimum of 24 hours.
  • In the case of ties, they will extend for an additional 24 hours in sudden death; if nobody breaks the tie I’ll flip a coin.
  • All entries will be randomly sorted into groups of ~4. In the group stage, I will post one group at a time. Give each track a fair listen, then rate it from 1-10 in the poll.
  • Voting is public, and light banter and trash talk is encouraged. However, if anyone is uncomfortable with this, you may PM me your votes and I’ll incorporate them manually.
  • Please rate honestly and do not game the system by artificially downvoting other tracks in your nominees’ groups. It’s totally fine and expected to give your own nominee a 10 though, as it’s assumed that you nominated it because you love it.
  • At the end of the group stage, the top vote-getter in each group will advance to the single elimination bracket.
  • There will be additional wild-card slots sufficient to get to 32 entries in the bracket, which will go to the top-rated tracks that didn’t win their groups.
  • In the single elimination bracket, tracks will be pitted directly against one another – vote for whichever you prefer, and the winner advances while the loser is eliminated. This continues until a champion is crowned.
  • Challonge apparently has a bracket prediction feature now. After the group stage, I’ll seed the bracket and you can attempt to predict how it will turn out for additional bragging rights.

Good luck, and have fun!

Woo hoo!

So do we post our choices here or do we fill out the sheet?

You must fill out the sheet. You may also post here if you feel like discussing them.

Pulling out the big guns early, I see.

hellz to the yeah

Speaking of big guns:

smoverworld

I’ve not read the OP yet but HYPE.

In it to win it! ;)

Ooo @lordkosc! Red Planet Nocturne and The Flame in The Flood, nice!

@SadleyBradley Steam Gardens. Nice.

The choice paralysis is strong!

Yeah I had the theme for Civ 6 listed for a bit, but changed my mind. As I felt two Christopher Tin suggestions might be more than the dome can handle.

Yeah, I’ve tried not to double up, though in some cases that would be easy to do. Seriously I went back and forth several times on Terra’s Theme or Vama Allo Flamenco for my Final Fantasy choice. I still may yet change it.

Also you and @SadleyBradley made my good list with your picks. Nice to see others carrying the Nintendo torch too.

EDIT: I also keep flipping between versions of the original Metroid Brinstar, and Kraid’s Lair songs. Original, Zero mission, or the Smash Bros N64 versions. The originalis classic, but the N64 Planet Zebes mix is so good…

EDIT EDIT my compromise, pick Brinstar (it is a brilliant adventure song, and a true classic of the era), and link to this piano version of Kraid.

As much to link it as a reminder for next 'dome that I want this picked ;)

You have no idea how close I am to choosing the Tallon Overworld theme! That or Red Soil. Either way, it all leads back to Brinstar.

Edit: or Upper Brinstar. Damn it.

Talon is also so excellent… But I went through and it was tough to cut down. I have other tracks from the Prime series I also could pick, but I felt going old school was the way. So that ultimately led me to Brinstar and Kraid as the two that stick strongest in my mind. Kraid is so haunting… but Brinstar is echoed throughout the series, including in Talon Overworld, and for good reason.

I’m a sucker for Prime’s choral sound! There’s even Red Soil in the Submerged Temple track…

I went with the main themes from Outlaws,Ghouls’n Ghosts, and I MAED A GAM3 W1TH Z0MBIES 1N IT!!!

I can’t decide on the 4th, it’s been a few things so far. And House of the Dead: Overkill Jasper & Brutus gets my fourth slot.

I’m going to sit back for a bit and let you all throw in whatever you want in the vain hope there’s overlap and my choices get easier.

Good idea!

I’m excited for some of the things already on the list.

I went to put the Curse of Monkey Island theme as one of my picks, then I ran across the stupid-silly pirate crew’s song and had to pick that. I don’t expect it to last long, but it pleases me to know people will listen to it.

Also rectified the lack of Bill Brown’s Shadow Watch score in the last go-around.