Game Music 4: Thunderdome Eternal

To hype up my pet favorite ost, I appreciate the breadth of genre Distance covers. Although overall it leans on drums and bass, much different mood and message to this track:

It came on while I was driving in my actual car northbound on I-95 on a country stretch and I could easily imagine it to a video game rendition of Spitfires vs Stukas over London, etc (Vipers vs SAMs over Baghdad)

I like it! Mind you, I was a fan of your nominations in the last 'dome. Sister’s Greenhouse, The People’s View, The Midnight Wood…

Oh, and that Distance track reminds me of Keep Moving by Bronson. The video is quite mad but I love its bulldozing of stock footage.

https://youtu.be/grYhC0-fSMo

I made a last-minute substitution to drop Holy Orders III from my nominations last time around. Since then, I’ve wound up playing a ton of Guilty Gear, so let’s make up for the omission.

Figured I’d participate this time as the last one was cool, great way to discover some new and interesting game music.

Love this game and it’s soundtrack, surprised to not see it on the master list already:
Return of the Obra Dinn: Return of the Obra Dinn

CP was a disappointing game overall, but the main menu music was brilliant (imo)
Cyberpunk: V

The Raven Main Theme, reminds me of those old Sherlock Holmes episodes I used to watch as a kid on British tv
The Raven Remastered: The Raven Main Theme

Saddle up, pardner
The Movies: Yee Ha

Oh son of a… yeah, Obra Dinn was long overdue for submission here.

Welcome Jack! Great to see Obra Dinn in your nominations!

I think OSTs like C&C are really interesting because favourites seem to differ wildly from person to person! I asked my friends about the R4 OST (Ridge Racer Type 4) and I got different answers from each of them.

Okay, so when I saw your nomination I was like ‘Target? I don’t remember that.’ Saw the YouTube title ‘Ahhh, Mechanical Man’.

jacknicholson-nodding.gif

And yeah, the remasters just don’t have the same energy or quality do they? At least not from the ones I’ve heard.

Dark Souls 2 - Majula
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8ShsHeYkeI

Nier - Kaine ~ Salvation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viDKam_hmGM

Silent Hill 4 - Tender Sugar

Yakuza 0 - Baka mitai

For awhile I thought I wouldn’t be able to scrape up four tracks I thought were really worthy of another Thunderdome. I had to go back to certain games that I’ve nominated in the past that still had tremendous music left to mine. If we can do it with Disco Elysium, we can do it with…

VVVVVV! Maybe the greatest chiptune soundtrack?

Also, since everyone liked my last nom from this game way more than I expected… have some more Murder by Numbers!
https://youtu.be/072q39pBToA

And a great tune from the greatest game of all time. This is how you hyperspace in Star Control II!

Finally, my one new game pull for this round, the quirky and wonderful Gitaroo Man! I don’t know if this will go over as well in isolation as it does in its emotional place in the story, but it’s still a soaring melody.

I never got past Mojo King Bee in Gitaroo Man, which is maybe stage 3 or something? Clearly I was a bit rubbish, but I loved it. The flying saucer battle music was so cool too (and Mojo King Bee’s tune, damn him).

Since the first thunderdome I’ve been maintaining a playlist on YouTube to help with this. My problem is whittling all that choice down to four nominations. It’s hard enough within the same soundtrack sometimes, let alone across multiple games!

This is one of my favourite music videos and it always reminds me of Gitaroo Man.

The tune’s a mash-up of Blood, Sweat & Tears’ Go Down Gamblin’ and Spinning Wheel, and maybe others. Either way, it’s so so good.

Oh hell yeah Gitaroo Man. Remaster it you cowards!

Remembering music is definitely an issue for me. But I also have a pretty high–maybe unreasonably high–personal bar for what I will submit to a Thunderdome, I think. If I don’t think Qt3ers who have never played the game before or heard the song are likely to vote it on to the later stages, I won’t submit it. Is that what you guys do too? Is that reasonable?

Oh, man. That’s too bad. Those first three are some of the best songs (I’ll probably nominate Mojo King Bee in the future), but there’s just so much goofy stuff and cool music and surprisingly emotional moments later in the game, too.

That video is incredible.

YOU COWAAAAAAARDS!

This is pretty much what I did when I finally jumped in this time.

Same. I think there are dozens of tracks I’d happily nominate, and some aren’t even retro chip tunes!

Yeah, that’s not far from me to be honest. Obviously everything I nominate I love, but I also err on the side of things I think will go the distance and sound okay ‘standalone’, so it’s a balancing act! If you’re close to a game, it’s difficult to uncouple your emotional response with the music, but I find it’s a fun thought exercise. One of these 'domes I’ll go all-in on the Amiga tunes! :-)

Right, we’re probably looking at 48 nominations so I’ll get sorting these ready for tomorrow!

I try to nominate stuff other people will like, but I also pretty much go in expecting to lose, which frees me up to just put out some stuff that I think is great, consequences be damned.

Every track I have ever submitted I genuinely think to be wonderful, however blippity bloopy.

Haha, this just made me realize that between the 80s and about 1995 I was gaming on the Apple II, which means I don’t have a lot of great tunes from my early gaming days. It just couldn’t do what a machine like the Amiga could.

Oh, now there’s an idea! Ye Olde Thunderdome. The Dome of Yore.