Game Music 4: Thunderdome Eternal

I’m really gratified Marisa did so well - I mostly put it up because it’s something I personally love and I wanted others to hear it. There’s no shame in losing to Arcanum!

Group D

Featuring nominations from @SadleyBradley, @Gordon_Cameron, me and @Jack_Howitzer.

Quite a mix this group!

Katamari Damacy - Que Sera Sera
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhlW2roqg7Y

0 voters

Ultima VI - Intro theme

0 voters

Rogue Trip: Vacation 2012 - SO CAL

0 voters

Return of the Obra Dinn - Main Theme

0 voters

Gah, you’re right. Thankfully the track fades out and, on desktop at least, the video has breaks in it. Will adjust the link now…

@Thraeg I noticed you’d not voted on Toejam & Earl yet.

Looks we have another tie coming between Um Jammer Lammy and Distance and it seems everyone has voted so I’ll try and get some tiebreakers lined up.

I have it on GOOD AUTHORITY that Thraeg wanted to give Toejam and Earl a 6, but since that wasn’t a choice, he abstained. So go ahead and make the calculation assuming it was a 6. ;)

cough

Only fair! ;-)

I was surprised how much I enjoyed Jammin’! My girlfriend recognised it too from back in the day, much to her surprise.

@Jack_Howitzer My favourite track from Return of the Obra Dinn is Soldiers of the Sea so when I saw your nomination I was like ‘Oh, I’ll have to nominate Soldiers of the Sea in the future’ but I hadn’t realised that the main theme smuggles it aboard! The main theme is an ear worm (I’ve had it in my head for the last few days) but I just love that bell melody. Bellody. That secured it a 5! The plucked strings at 1:09 are just so distinctive too. Lucas Pope is incredibly talented.

I think The Doom is my favorite track, but it’s an incredible soundtrack all the way through.

Yeah, I had to try not to mark it down out of jealousy for a guy who can do everything!

I’m not a developer but I can totally appreciate that! :-)

Then there’s that beautiful Obra Dinn schematic timelapse he did which is just… dude.

Okay we’ve got a double bill of results after my screw up, and a new group! Everything should be tidier going forwards… hopefully.

Group B

1. Distance - Storming The Horizon: 3.5
  2. Um Jammer Lammy - Got To Move!: 3.29
  3. Guilty Gear Strive - What Do You Fight For (Nagoriyuki’s Theme): 2.93
  4. Toejam and Earl - Jammin’: 2.92

Group C

1. Minecraft - Taswell: 3.77
  2. Disco Elysium - Off We Go Into The Wild Pale Yonder: 3.69
  3. Thief: The Dark Project - Intro: 3.54
  4. R-Type Dimensions - Stage 1: 3.08

@Starflightdream is on a roll!

Group E

Featuring nominations from @Soren_Hoglund, @Gordon_Cameron, @Nightgaunt and @anonymgeist:

Yakuza 0 - Baka Mitai

0 voters

Zoids - Main theme

0 voters

Gitaroo Man - The Legendary Theme

0 voters

The Last of Us - The Path (A New Beginning)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtDXp-E38x4

0 voters

Okay, @Nightgaunt The Legendary Theme is so good! In the first 20 seconds I was half expecting Wayne Coyne to pipe up.

It probably doesn’t matter, but the Ultima VI tune is now time stamped at 3:13, but the song actually starts at 0:00. I imagine we are all savvy enough to figure that out though. In case anyone isn’t sure, it’s the very first track in the video.

Also it helps to visualize this while listening:

Is the Avatar reading “Stephen King’s IF”?

Aaah, yeah, it could totally be a Soft Bulletin-era anthem!

The song is actually way more powerful in the game, too, because of some fun story stuff they do (spoilers for a game that if you don’t own already you probably never will never get your hands on, with videos):

Mid-way through the story about a kid dueling monsters with his guitar, the hero (U-1) ends up spending the evening with a random young woman (Kirah) he meets on an island. He plays her a sweetly romantic acoustic version of the Legendary theme as they sit next to a campfire. It’s the one non-confrontational level you play.

Later, U-1 ends up in an arena to face the big villains champion gitaroo warrior. The champion turns out to be Kirah. She attacks him in a rockin’ song called Overpass, but U-1 refuses to fight. Instead, he starts playing the Legendary theme while Kirah tries to break his defenses. But by the end she is won over and joins him to fight the final boss.

The game is so goofy looking, it probably doesn’t seem like it could be very emotional, but it pulls it off.

Huh, weird. I know originally it wasn’t stamped at all until krayzkrok flagged it but it appears to be stamped correctly and working on my end, on both my PC and phone. Cuts off at 3:47. How’s it look to everyone else?

You know, it looks like the IK+ logo to me! I was initally going to crack a joke about it being the novelisation of IK+ but then I recall Hubbard working on the soundtrack so it checks out!

Okay so Group D’s results are in and we have a clear winner with the others almost drawing:

1. Return of the Obra Dinn - Main Theme: 4.27
  2. Katamari Damacy - Que Sera Sera: 3.36
  3. Ultima VI - Intro theme: 3.3
  4. Rogue Trip: Vacation 2012 - SO CAL: 3.3

Maybe my browser was storing the wrong timestamp.

Yes, that diagonal sweep and the green claws are definitely there, as well as the text hierarchy/formatting!

I remember that cover from when I was a kid. I think somehow we got that massive tome free, from a book club or something. Anyway it just sort of arrived at our house one day and then it was always sitting around. I don’t know if anyone in my family actually read it. Maybe an older sibling. I was far too intimidated by the page count. Also I was probably a bit of a snob about Stephen King in those days.

Well that piece of music does have it’s own name on the soundtrack and plays at different parts of the game, independent of anything else from the main theme. I’d say it’s totally eligible for nomination in the future, plus it would get an almost automatic 5 from me :D

Yeah, the bonus with the main theme is you get the ear worm and Soldiers of the Sea! That’s chicken dinners all round!

I haven’t played Yakuza 0 (yet) so I feel like I’m missing some context with Baka Mitai but its got a blissful air or sense of release about it, and the strings are lush. Enjoyed this more with repeated listens.

It’s been a long time since I listened to Santaolalla’s score for The Last of Us but I always liked The Path. It’s a sad piece but with an uneasy hopefulness breaking through in places.

Zoids sounds like some kind of alien march with that mechanical crashing percussion. It’s a crunchy slice of bleep bloop! I’m not familiar with the game but I love the GUI/HUD presentation of it.

I played a pirated copy of Zoids in the 80s, and had no idea what the hell was going on. But yeah the interface looks great. The music blew my mind and still does. It’s one of Hubbard’s best IMO, though he didn’t write the tune (it’s a track by Larry Fast called ‘Synergy.’) As with Galway’s adaptation of Jarre for Yie Ar Kung Fu, I prefer the chiptune version.