Game of the Month - November 2020

What has been your primary game this past month? It could have been a recent title, a new discovery, or something from your backlog. Or perhaps an old favorite you returned to years later? Honorable mentions are also welcome, these would be other games that you enjoyed this past month, but not the one you spent the most time enjoying.

For November my game of the month is:

• Assassins Creed Valhalla - love the setting, combat and the way side quest stuff is set up. This might end up being my favorite of the recent 3 more open world focused games. More time will tell, I am only around 30 hours in.

Sadly free time has been super limited, so the only honorable mention I have is:

• Soma, where I played about 3 hours and ran out of free time, also I find this game very scary so I don’t play after dark, but I will get back to it asap.

What game defined November 2020 for you? What was your Game of the Month?

I don’t often post these threads becasue it is not infrequent that I go months without playing anything, or playing only one game. So it feels odd picking a game, when it is really just by default.

this wasn’t much different, however this game is worthy of getting flagged.

Sonic Mania is a fantastic modern version of classic Sonic. I had a blast with this, and find it absolutely gets what made those games in the first place. It may have been one of two games I played this month, but I strongly recommend it. Plus my 4 and 7 year old were on my lap playing with me and taking turns. That has a lot of value for me too.

I was only playing it for the first half of the month, but I’d probably have to say Morrowind.

Runner up: Company of Heroes

The front third of my month was all Hades, the middle was back to Animal Crossing, and the end was all about Breath of the Wild.

My Switch got a lot of use! Need to give my PC love this month.

Mostly marking time before my attention is consumed by the coming Cyberpunkalypse, I played through the whole narrative storyline of GTA V this month and enjoyed it quite a bit. I’d played a few hours of the game before but never finished it. Such amazing attention to detail in that game and missions with a clear, unrelenting focus on what makes the game fun.

Once again for me, Bloody Rally Show is the game I most often returned to, albeit in small bits, but it’s perfect for that, with Star Fleet II being a VERY close second for being played a ton on my laptop and phone in demo/practice mode outside of my current career.

Warhammer: Chaosbane would be a runner up as I plowed through all the story campaign stuff in less than a week. Also Elder Scrolls Online should get a nod as well.

In the waning days of November I caved in and bought Flight Simulator 2020 from Microsoft. It’s amazeballs. I couldn’t give a rats ass about imperfections in the amount of rivets in the Cessna’s left flap or an error in the tertiary engine redundancy checking page of the a320s MFD. Those clouds man! Those ground textures! Whooooaaah…

I started late with it in the month, but my first run in No Man’s Sky is definitely my choice.

Mine is, without a doubt, Yakuza: Like a Dragon. I’m enjoying this a lot more than I thought I would, in fact.

Honorable mentions go to Gujian 3, American Truck Simulator, Death end re;Quest and Assassin’s Creed: Valhalla.

The first couple of weeks were focused on wrapping up Dark Souls III, which I had stalled out midway through (at Pontiff Sulyvahn) on initial release. After a couple of hours to shake off the rust, I was right back in the swing of things, and loved the rest of the journey. Which is good, because the proximate cause for me returning was the impending release of the Demon’s Souls remake, which took over as my focus once it arrived. It’s been a pleasure to revisit some of these places with a spectacular new coat of paint, and despite some rough edges, there are still some things that I prefer over its progeny.

Spider-Man: Miles Morales on the PS4 Pro.

Easily as good as the original, with its own unique powers which change how you play the game quite significantly. Loved it. Wish it was longer. But I’ll definitely be playing in New Game+ Some time soon, and hopefully on a PS5.

Grabbed RDR2 for PC and played that lot. Definitely my go-to for the month. Probably will be for December, as well.

Been playing around a little bit with Into The Breach when I wanted something lighter that required less attention, too.

Demon’s Souls remake on PS5. I thought it was going to be the Spider-Man remake, which was great, but Demon’s Souls caught me completely off guard with how good it was.

Closely followed by Bloodborne, which i loaded up and dusted off the DLC.

Zelda Muso, what a cool little game. Would be better without the shit script though.

Inside was a cool experience. It flowed - which I guess is the whole point of it all.

But my game of the month was Return of the Obra Dinn.
Oh wait, that was last month. Well, let it be this month’s game too!

Watch Dogs Legiondoes everything, a spider can…

Honourable mention to Assassin’s Creed 12. “That’s a bread knife. Are you going to butter me?”

I played the heck out of CK3 when it released. Had some fun in coop with it too till the guy I was playing with got dead a couple times and bailed. Such are the fortunes of war.

What has really held my attention most of the month is Battlestar Galatica: Deadlock. It’s a pretty simple formula but for some reason the tactical battles keep me coming back for more. I’m just a huge fan of WEGO so I’d probably play and love anything using it.

Skyrim with the Living Skyrim 2 mod pack. I really have no life and every time I am ‘done’ with Skyrim, then many months later I am bored and install it again.

That would be Far Cry 5, because I played 1 2 3 4 and I think it was free with my “new” PC a while back. More of the same but enjoyable.

Then ESO ever since as a new bee, there seems to be quite a bit to do in this game!

Darksiders III. I liked it so much, I’m playing through it again! It’s got a bit of Dark Souls style gameplay where you collect souls and spend them on item or levels. The combat can get pretty tough sometimes, but feels fair. It can also be really easy a lot of the times, which can make you feel powerful. The world is really fun to explore, and the magic sauce on why I just love playing it is the exploration. They do a great job of putting shiny loot at the right places to draw the eye, and then hiding secrets just enough that they feel special to find, but not so obscurely that I don’t actually find them! This is not the case with most games I play. Either things are obvious, or they’re so obscure I need a walkthrough to find them. Darksiders 3 knows I want to feel smart by finding things myself. Darksiders 3 knows I want to back to old areas with new abilities and find enough new things that it feels worth it to back-track. And finally Darksiders 3 knows that Claudia Black makes for a great protagonist.

Demon’s Tilt.
I only gamed for ~2 hours this month, it was good for a few minutes at a time.

I’ll give a mention to bunger bunger bunger bunger Bugsnax & Astro’s Room.
The people I saw playing them were really enjoying themselves.

I was looking forward to playing that sometime. The story stuff was that awful?