Game of Thrones (HBO)

Nothing confirmed, but the rumored plan is is to go for two more “seasons” but both would be shorter than normal.

• Next season around 8-10 eps.
  • The season after at 6 eps.

Yeah, basically we have 16 hours (and change) left in the show.

At the end, I snarked “So what, those dragons are literally going to fly the entire way across the ocean? No way they can land on those ships!” and then my friend who’s read the books said “Oh yeah, that’s how the first dragons got to Westeros”.

I would not have guessed that possible.

This map has a good example of how they will get there. Merreen is down in the lower right-hand corner. The Narrow Sea is well, Narrow. So the Dragons will have plenty of land to rest on.

A couple points. I don’t think the kid stabbed Lancel in the side, I think he hamstrung him. He sure didn’t look like he was doing anything with that leg.

Regarding Pycelle, I think they may have offed him to make sure there was no one to debate Cersei taking the throne. The Maesters handle squabbles over succession, don’t they?

Rewatched it today and skipped through quite a bit, but the episode’s best line is definitely Bronn and Jaime’s scene. “Not my type.” “Not blond enough for you?”

The known world in ASOIAF is actually pretty small. It’s more like flying across the Mediterranean than flying across the Atlantic.

After a sesaon that brought back (imho) the first season lows, they just offered the best directed episode the show has had.

I agree it was too much stuff happening (they could have spread it out) and there are (minor, I think) script issues, but the pacing, camera and acting was way above the normal of the show.

The pie scene was my favourite. It almost redeems the rest of that plot during this season. Almost.

Well, after that rocky middle patch with the uneven Arya arc and a few slow-ish episodes (except for The Door, which I thought was the most emotionally powerful of all the episodes this season, I was affected for days after), they really delivered with the epic payoffs in 9 and 10!

Dat KL stuff - Elegaic Sept sequence, big badaboom, Tommen suicide, Septa confession and revenge - all just pitch perfect.

Dany naming Tyrion Hand of the Queen brought a tear to my eye. Finally Tyrion gets his due respect, and not a little genuine affection from Dany.

Frey pie and die was extremely satisfying, but with just that sad edge of goodbye to the cute wee Arya we knew and loved.

Cersei as Disney villainness - lush tour de force by the cozzie designer there.

Slick fleet+dragons CGI at the end.

Despite the dip in writing quality overall without GRRM to work from, and the leaps and gaps in logic, you’ve got to hand it to them, they did it again - once more, we’re all totally hyped for next season! :)

feels like you may be reading the map slightly incorrectly. I think to keep to the land wouldn’t they have to be travelling pole to pole? That map looks flattened out in an odd way to me.

Very solid finale. The episode had some really nicely composed shots, e.g. all the pieces leading up to the explosion, especially the beautifully haunting music; Daeny sitting next to Tyrion; Davos and Melisandre facing off - all well staged and lit. Tommen’s suicide caught everyone I was watching with off guard. The quietness of that moment made it all the more effective. Also appreciated the work the concept artists had done with the library. Olenna’s sandsnake smackdown - thing of beauty.

On the meh-side of things:

Sansa’s decision not to give a Jon a head-up on the Knights of the Vale is resolved with a bit of “I’m sorry!” and “We oughta trust each other.” And then there’s stuff that is so close to each other that it rubs things in one’s face. See Lancel.

1. First of all, I don’t see the point of leading Lancel down to the wyldfire stash. Surely, through him we (the audience) discover the nature of Cersei’s plan. But when you think about it, it seems stupid because it introduced a risk factor the a meticulously timed plot for no real reason, i.e. Lancel being able to reach the candles in time.

2. For those who say that the kid cut Lancel’s tendons or whatever: I’ve watched the scene again, and all you see is a single stab. And that pretty much incapacitates him. Two episodes ago we saw Aray taking, escaping and then recovering from multiple stab wounds to the gut as if it wasn’t a problem.

As for the geography: I was willing to accept Arya making her way back to the North over the course of two episodes even if it felt a bit sudden. But no matter how often someone explains that the different plots might not be synced or that time might have passed: Having Varys in Dorne and back with Daeny within the same episode was a very unelegant creative choice. Would have been far better (and requiring no further effort) to leave Varys out of the fleet scene and have the characters reunite in the first episode of the next season somewhere. The Dorne scene is like 40 minutes into the episode; the proximity to the fleet scene is very notable.

I would have appreciated a closer shot of the “celestial models” hanging in the great library, which would have tied in nicely to the animated title sequence.

That shit was pretty epic last nite, and the week before. Imo probably best two episodes in the entire series

I didn’t even see him jump out of the window when I was watching. I must have taken my eye off the screen for a second and didn’t realize anything had happened until Cersei saw the body.

My first thought was, “And he didn’t even need a push from the Mountain.” It was a nice take on Bran being shoved out a window in the 1st episode.

The pie was some straight up Titus Andronicus level stuff. Holy moly.

After the jump Lady Bismarck deadpanned “Look out, King’s Landing.”

Took me a second to hear the apostrophe.

Tommen’s suicide was pretty convenient for Cersei. Since the Mountain was there preventing him from going to the Sept I think he would have known Cersei was behind it. Did she think she could talk her way out of it after the fact?

I think Cersei thought Tommen would just accept what she did and that he would “get over it” with motherly love. That he would eventually realize it was the best course of action for his rule.

Going forward to season 7 I think the two most significant scenes were the looks exchanged between Sansa and Littlefinger and Jaime and Cersei.

Sansa and Jon seemed cool after their talk on the ramparts but then when Jon was heralded as the King in the North, the looks between Sansa and Littlefinger seemed to indicate otherwise. HBO releases some videos after every episode with commentaries from the actors involved in key scenes and they played up the tension between Sansa and Jon.

Regarding Jaime and Cersei…Jaime killed King Aerys in large part to prevent him from “burning them all”. Cersei pretty much did that.