Game of Thrones (HBO)

Yeah, unfortunately a lot of articles on Fingleton’s death have the wrong giant pictured. Many sites just used a picture of Wun Wun, the giant most viewers are familiar with since he’s the one that got all the good scenes in the last season. I guess they just googled “Game of Thrones giant” and used the first thing that came up without bothering to figure out the difference.

Wun Wun is played by Ian Whyte, who also played Dongo, (another giant) Gregor Clegane for a bit, and various White Walkers.

That’s heart breaking. You’d think they would take the time to at least post the right picture of the man we lost.

6’6" myself. My great-grandfather was 6’6" and lived to 104. My grandfather was 6’4" and lived to 96. My 6’3" dad is still doing fine in his 70s. Just some anecdata – the over-tall males in my family live for quite a while. We just wish we were dead.

Season 7 premiere is July 16.

Summer is coming.

As a bonus, we only get 7 episodes this year. Hopefully they do more with less.

I remember thinking there were about 2-3 from last season we could do without.

Four months to go! Ugh. Can’t come fast enough.

Anyone else feel like they’ve just sorta given up on this show? It started out great but they’re really screwing up the end here. Last season was full of just completely ridiculous scenes, stuff completely butchered from the books (I realize they’re not following exactly but come on, are you even telling the same story at this point?), amateur hour story resolutions (Six seasons of Arya and that assassin stuff and THAT was the resolution we got to it?), and now they’re phoning it it with only 7 episodes? And even less next season? Yeah why finish it off properly and completely when you can half ass it now that most of the cash has already rolled in!

There have been some good episodes here and there, but I feel as a general rule every season has been a little worse than the prior season. I’ll keep watching, though my expectations aren’t very high a this point.

I don’t think they’ve “given up” but the quality has definitely dropped. Then again, what else can they do? Unlike earlier seasons, a lot of these storylines are being written with only concept notes supplied by GRRM. They don’t have full books to refer to and draw inspiration. Meanwhile, the fans and HBO need resolution on these stories. They have to wing it with some of this stuff.

I’ve gone the other way - pretty much given up on the books. Or should say, if they come great, if not oh well. But then having said that, I haven’t actually gotten around to watching last season yet either. Maybe I’m just done.

Yeah fuck the books for me. 1-3 were the best thing I have ever read. 4 sucked. 5 sucked, but less than 4 but still was no where near where the first three were quality wise.

The show is canon for me now and I definitely don’t think the seasons have gotten worse as they have progressed. I thought last season was probably the best season of the show. I can’t wait for July 16.

Same here. Also I tried reading #5 like 3 years after 4 and couldn’t remember so many names. I’m ok with just having the show now be it for me I think.

Books 4 + 5 suffer a bit from mid-trilogy blues since they’re clearly act 2 material, but they also contain great moments and improve rereads. GRRM is very subtle in what he’s doing in book 5 and I think that isn’t appreciated by a lot of casual or first-time readers.

Season 6 of the show is a huge improvement over seasons 4 and 5. Probably some of the best visuals ever produced for TV.

Season 8 will be six episodes, so 13 left in total then the great emptiness of no more GoT begins…

That’s like saying that the sun has to cycle through it’s red giant phase, then collapse, and then the great emptiness of no solar radiation will begin.

Seven episodes this year, then maybe the release of Winds of Winter in 2018, then the last six episodes for HBO in early 2019, then some number of years before a Song of Spring is published… let’s be optimistic and call that 2022. I’m hoping for another Dunk & Egg story or two in there too.

They’ve already talked about the possibility of spin-offs though… and I think HBO will almost certainly give that a go.

But not with the original showrunners, who’ve said they want to do different things once it wraps.

Ros: The Early Clothed Years is going to be amazing.

Last season was honestly some fantastic watching. Just do it.

In other news my GF got to go see the Game of Thrones concert here in Charlotte. I did not, but she filled me in and it sounded amazing. The one flaw was that they were seated in front of a couple who talked the entire time because one of them had NEVER seen Game of Thrones, while the other felt the need to explaining the entire series as they played it out through music and on-screen videos.

Why do people feel the need to do that. Explain it before or after. Or just don’t. Don’t ruin the experience of others.