Game of Thrones (HBO)

Yeah… If this is on the quality level of the latter seasons (5 / 6), I’m not interested.

There were some lows but man there are some high highs in there too.

One of my favorite actresses is joining the cast of one of my favorite franchises? Awesome!

I also love their choice of timelines. They’re going way, way back, 8,000 years before GoT:

It chronicles the world’s descent from the golden Age of Heroes into its darkest hour. And only one thing is for sure: from the horrifying secrets of Westeros’ history to the true origin of the white walkers, the mysteries of the East to the Starks of legend

We’re gonna meet Bran the Builder :) I wonder who Watts will play?

Love Naomi, but I’d rather she do Gypsy Season2. Damn you, Netflix.

They’re supposed to start filming in February, so the casting announcements were expected to begin soon.

I cannot improve upon this statement.

It would be amazing if GRRM ended the series like this. The ultimate troll on his fans.

Removed post. Moved it to new thread about The Long Night.

Oh shit.

Last April a crew member revealed that Game of Thrones had wrapped 55 night shoots while filming a battle. Media outlets around the world ran stories saying the final season’s battle took twice as long as the 25-day shoot for season 6’s climactic Battle of the Bastards. This wildly understated what really happened. The 55 nights were only for the battle’s outdoor scenes at the Winterfell set. Filming then moved into the studio, where Sapochnik continued shooting the same battle for weeks after that .

“It’s brutal,” Dinklage says. “It makes the Battle of the Bastards look like a theme park.”

So I think the better question is not ‘which named characters die’, but rather ‘which named characters live’.

The way the showrunners portrayed it made that Battle look like a theme park. Is he saying we can look forward to more incomprehensible strategic moves, etc?

I’m looking forward to this finally ending so we at least get a resolution to the series.

Battle of the Bastards, a tactical analysis:

Jon Snow fucks up and doesn’t listen to his sister
Jon Snow fucks up some more and charges across an open field alone
Jon royally fucks up by forcing his army out of defensible positions
Jon gets bailed out by dues ex sister’s creepy stalker with an army
Jon ‘won’ so doesn’t realize how he completely botched it, so that he is unlikely to tactically improve going forward.

I appreciate you summarizing the amazing battle so I don’t ever have to go back and rewatch it!

From a visual perspective it was cool, until you start thinking about it tactically and have the least inkling of how tactics work.

Most post-Roman medieval battles were all pretty much clusterfucks though, right?

I mean, honestly, who the hell charges dismounted armored knights through knee-deep mud toward the best archers in Europe? Srsly

Even Edmure wouldn’t fuck up that badly.

I dunno, I think it was a perfect reversal / reinforcement of the “values” of the series. The big honorable hero does the big honorable thing and gets himself and everyone else dead / the intelligent and ruthless “big bad” does the intelligent thing and crushes the honorable good guy, except, oops, the opposite, because sometimes armies just teleport around to gank you.

Think it mostly works, if one allows for invisible travelling armies and the like…

Jon Snow is exactly like Eddard Stark, honorable, courageous and dumb as a rock. Jon’s tactics at that battle were perfectly in character.