Game Reviewing for profit

Connections can definitely help in getting those initial writing jobs.

Writing skill (and the ability to hit a deadline) can make all the difference in getting additional assignments, though.

Bingo! So many times, I’ve given writers a chance, only to have them miss a deadline, not follow guidelines or turn in crap that is so different from their “clips” that you wonder if they ganked them.

Say steve, I can be eloquent. For real!

My favorite are the people that beg and plead for a try, so you give them an assignment, then they just don’t do it. That makes me so happy.

Hey, I’m tellin ya. A regular half page bit on indie games brought to you by DIY Games™, the kid’s will love it.

Actually, the best way to be a “professional” game reviewer is to have examples of writing in the wild - pick up a game and write about it. If you write well, people may notice. (However, if you review a game in IRC while drunk http://www.brokentoys.org/ww2o-irc.html Alan Dunkin will apparently carry a grudge: fair warning!)

If you’re just wanting to get free games, there’s easier ways to do it. Game reviewers sometimes have to review some pretty bad ones. http://www.wargamer.com/reviews/nam_review.asp

(Edit: WHY IS IT SO HARD TO ADD HYPERLINKS IN POSTS. It must be some kind of intelligence test. I blame the Game Reviewer Mafia.)

Yeah. That’s how I landed my first gig - writing for free at the now defunct hardnews. I wrote a column on the groovy internationalism that was going on in the first dreamcast PSO, and the guy who ran the site liked it so much that I came on as a staffer. Got into my first E3 that way.

Was this directed at me? I mean, since it’s directly after my post.

No, it wasn’t directed at anyone in particular.

I’ve seen far worse :)

Old reviews of the game don’t phase me any more. Only way I can change something like that is to:

A) Work on a new project and apply various lessons learned

or

B) Invent a time machine

Since I play the lottery I guess B is possible, but I’d rather go with A.

It is a bit galling to see that every single reminder article about WW2OL is prefaced by the “worst launch in history” bromide. If writers would finally just skip that part, everyone would be in a better place :)

— Alan

No, it wasn’t directed at anyone in particular.[/quote]

Oh, ok. I was wondering when I didn’t complete an assignment for you. heh.