"Gamer Dad" at Xbox.com

So Xbox.com has a new columnist. Anyone call their lawyers yet? :)

You’re not pimping, are you? Because then you’d get sued and banned.

Will, Hunter and Buffy, eh? Poor Will. His dad got all fancy with his other two kids, but he’s just “Will”, not Indiana Jones or Spike or Lightning Hardmuscle or anything cool like that.

Poor Will.

EDIT: But seriously, that’s a dick move - and they’re not even trying to be respectful.

Wow. That’s unfortunate.

The column, not Will.

Do marketing people read the internet?

First they sell him a busted Xbox 360.

Then they steal his game commentary concept.

Dave Long is out for justice. And nothing short of hell on Earth will stop him.

Parental Guidance suggested.

[EDIT] Whoops. Wait, “GamerDad” is Andrew Bub. My bad. I was confused because Long writes (wrote?) a column on that site.

Sue them.

Oh, definitely, it’s payday for Mr. Bub. It’s pretty much a direct rip-off of the entire Gamerdad.com concept. Doesn’t Microsoft employ something on the order of an Avogadro’s Number worth of lawyers? Shouldn’t they have checked this out first?

Right… because no one else could have come up w/ the name Gamer Dad? It’s not exactly a far fetched concept.

No, but Andrew isn’t exactly hiding his light under a bushel. Lots of mainstream media references, and, like you said, the idea is obvious enough that you would think they would have done even a cursory, “Hmm, does anybody else own this?” before going ahead.

Troy

Bub’s site appears to copyright content, not the name. I anal.

from the xbox site:

Have a question or comment for Gamer Dad?

[email protected]

So what - MS owns hotmail.

I was actually about to write him an e-mail when I saw that, but then I shrugged and said, “Nah, it’s much more fun if he finds out from a cease and desist letter.” and hit cancel.

Gamerdad is a registered trademark to Andrew S. Bub. Since the division of the name into two words is still liable to cause confusion, I think that Andrew’s claim is pretty solid.

Troy

I wonder if Andrew got “bought out”, Simpsons’ Bill Gates style.

You know, with a baseball bat.

Mark Image
Word Mark GAMERDAD
Goods and Services IC 041. US 100 101 107. G & S: providing online publications, namely, newsletters, reviews, forums, magazines, and supplements sold therewith, journals, newspapers and books all in the field of interactive entertainment, computers,computer software, online services, high technology, communications, information technology and information services. FIRST USE: 20030406. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20030406
Standard Characters Claimed
Mark Drawing Code (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK
Design Search Code
Serial Number 78905231
Filing Date June 9, 2006
Current Filing Basis 1A
Original Filing Basis 1A
Owner (APPLICANT) Bub, Andrew S. INDIVIDUAL UNITED STATES 3321 S. Indiana Avenue Milwaukee WISCONSIN 53207
Attorney of Record Jill Gilbert Welytok
Type of Mark SERVICE MARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

Does the space let them do it? Is it still too common to hold up? Been used before?

And here i thought bub was looking good, having lost some weight.

Chet

Andrew knows about it. That’s about all I can say.

My column is on a sort of hiatus. I got pretty p.o.ed at the whole 360 situation and then got addicted to World of Warcraft and kind of needed a break. I wrote 120 of those things in a three year span. Not too bad. It’s hard to come up with new topics that can make people angry at me each week.

I’ve been doing some review work that will start popping up various places, though.

He knows, there are a couple of threads about it on the GamerDad forums.

If that’s what their lawyers argue, Andrew should go start a company called Micro Soft.