"Gamer Dad" at Xbox.com

You know, I forgot about that. That’s kind of a buzzkill because I don’t want to be Romeros bitch.

If you don’t know a damn thing about trademarks, why are you taking a position?

in·ter·net

because it amuses me. It’s a stupid point that isn’t going to cost Andrew revenue.

As I was going to say, I could probably search around and find out some Stuff that Rick doesn’t know anything about and point those out, but why

You are pretty damn stupid, aren’t you … and you are doing a wonderful job demonstrating it with each post. Glad it amuses you.

/me starts the popcorn, pulls up a chair

I believe the problem is not with Microsoft’s “Gamer Dad” and his choice of nickname. Anyone can call themselves “Gamer Dad” and run around making that their nickname on IRC channels, life, whatever.

The problem is that they are both named the same thing, and the purpose of their articles/site are identical. This is an obvious issue, and goes right to the heart of what Andrew’s business (assuming he runs the Gamerdad.com site to make money) does. Microsoft is very much stepping right into Andrew’s virtual turf, which they could have done problem free, but they also ripped off his site name while doing so. A little extra “fuck you!” for fun.

No one would be blinking if Microsoft’s columnist was called “Family Gamer”. Nor would there be much comment if the non-Bub GamerDad was just using that as his Xbox Live handle.

So you actually think that Microsoft is trying to fuck over Andrew Bub? I’m the stupid one? You fucking idiot. They have a motherfucking COLUMN called Gamer Dad on XBox.com and that’s supposed to ruin Andrews world? Andrew, I suppose, is the first human to ever be Gamer Dad so that makes him the one and only source for that name and, HEAVEN FORBID, someone use that name on another website or it’s going to destroy his crystal castle in the sky?

You know, I hope Andrew sues and he wins. Good for him. But if you can’t see what I’m saying, you’re the fucking simpleton.

Ok, fine. I just don’t think he’s going to be able to win a case because it’s an XBox.com column and not a for-profit web site started for direct competition.

By that rationale, Yahoo could start a column called “GameSpy” and you’d see nothing wrong with it.

You know, I also meant to say trademarked common names, not just a name. That was my bad on that one.

Would Yahoo also release a browser tool, start their own download service, review games with the exact same style and font?

Christ, this is pointless.

Gamespy isn’t common.

Sure, bring Christ into the debate.

I wouldn’t call this a debate since Mikey got upset.

So you’re ok with Microsoft’s new column starting next week, Jason? They’re calling it TheGentlemanNerd.

Oh snap!

Eh, you misunderstand me Dave, I’m messing around. Most everyone knows that. As I said, I hope it works out for Andrew.

I mean, I posted a similar thread before I saw this one.

Also: I had no idea you read my column. That makes me feel kind of warm inside.

I think a lot of people are misunderstanding you, which is why I posted that. :)

I understand that Jason is a wanker. That’s all I know.

BTW, when are Chick and Bub getting into the octagon for their UFC match?

I wonder if GamerSpy is taken yet.

• Alan