Games about The Great War

Was reading with sadness that the last veteran of WWI trench warfare passed away this morning. That leaves two known WWI veterans, neither of which fought in the trenches.

It got me thinking about WWI video games. Other than the action / simulator flight games have there been many about the war? I recall one involving the naval battle of Jutland, I suppose, but that may have even been an old AH board game.

Maybe the static nature of trench warfare works against it. Gaining five miles of territory over a two month period is hardly as exciting as the faster paced WWII campaigns (by-and-large, of course there were slower paced battles like Stalingrad and the Japanese capture of the Philippines). Maybe the pointlessness of it all works against it. Unlike WWII which could be seen as a just crusade against the Nazis (though this is a bit revisionist as the true horror of what the Nazis – and Japanese – had done wasn’t fully understood until near the conclusion of the war), WWI has two sides that are far grayer in terms of right and wrong. Or maybe the problem is that much of the horror of WWI was psychological – the dark quiet hours living among rats and mud and contending with trench foot and living in fear of poking your head above the trench or of sappers working below and killing you in your sleep.

Before my grandfather, an infantryman NCO with the 45th division* in North Africa, Italy, and southern Germany, died he finally opened up in detail about his war experiences. The horror of losing friends in the night while on watch in North Africa, of the terrible battles (many not as remembered in the wake of D-Day’s fame) of Salerno, Anzio, etc. He knew that I played WWII video games and asked why I’d want to play through that experience. With WWI I imagine that question is doubly relevant – why would anyone want to play in the trenches video game?

So, if you could make an in-the-trenches video game on WWI, would you? What form would it take? What aspects of that type of warfare would you focus on?

Me, I could see a fascinating game in the vein of Close Combat where morale and managing your men is paramount. Or, a pet project I meant to do with Inform 7 and never got around to, a text adventure game. I think a text adventure game centered on a short period of time in the trenches, told in a Deadline time-sensitive way, could be really interesting. The setting, being very constrained and short of interactive objects, lends itself well to IF. Also, given a capable writer (something I’m not – which is probably why I never got around to doing this) the horror of the trenches could be conveyed much better through words than through pictures. Gameplay would revolve around keeping your squad alive through various events – helping one with trench foot, improving morale, surviving a mustard gas attack, going over the top into no-man’s land, etc. – each of which would involve the standard gather and apply items.

How about you all?

• Interestingly enough, the 45th honored Native Americans (it was formed in Oklahoma) and its original divisional symbol was a yellow swastika on a red diamond. In 1939 with the rise of Nazism they changed this to a yellow Thunderbird on a red diamond.

I think the only actual WWI game I have played is History Line: 1914-1918. A number of strategy games cover the period to some degree. Victoria for instance and I’m sure there must be a WWI Civ4 scenario. <Googles> Indeed.

As for an in the trenches videogame, have you tried Iron Storm? It’s not actually a WWI game but it’s set in an alternate history where The great war never ended.

Ahhh, History Line! The hours a friend and I spent playing this on my Amiga. We were so impressed at the time by a game that had digitised pictures of old cannons and tanks… The music was excellent, too. Shame that Battle Isle was a bit crappy.

Here’s a few:

Strategy / Wargames
1914: The Great War (2002)
Diplomacy, the Microprose version (2000)
Diplomacy, the Paradox version (2005)
Guns of August: 1914 - 1918 (2007)
History Line: 1914 - 1918 (1992)
Naval Campaigns: Jutland (2002)
World War One (2008)
WWI: The Great War (2003)

Flight Simulations (Realistic or Arcade)
Aces of World War I (2002)
Dawn Patrol (1994)
Dawn Patrol: Head to Head (1995)
First Eagles: The Great War 1918 (2006)
Flyboys Squadron (2006)
Flying Corps (1996)
Red Baron (1990)
Red Baron II (1997)
Red Baron 3D (1998)
Red Baron, Davilex “remake” (2005)
Red Baron Arcade (2008)
Sky Aces (2006)
Wings of Honour (2003)
Wings of Honour: Battles of the Red Baron (2006)
Wings of Glory (1995)
Wings of War (2004)
WWI: Aces of the Sky (2007)

Naval Simulations
1914: Shells of Fury (2006)
Distant Guns: Jutland (2009)
Jutland (1993)

rezaf

There was also an incredibly nifty DOS game called The Ancient Art of War in the Skies that was published by Microsoft and contained a fantastic manual with lots and lots of background information. You played fighter dogfights and trench bombings (all in a pretty arcady way), and according to your success and the land war difficulty you chose you could watch the front line move back and forward. I liked it pretty well at the time.

Try this flashgame- Warfare 1917, as seen on Rock, Paper, Shotgun’s article by Kieran.

Wow, thanks for all of the great links to games! Interesting that the closest we have to one that actually addresses trench warfare at the micro level is the Flash one (which I’d played previously and got a little addicted to for a time). I guess this war is one that lends itself to the strategic layer – unlike WW2 which sees a fair mix of strategic and tactical and of course FPSes.

Anyone know if the AGEOD game was ever patched to a decent state? Based off a boardgame that was pretty well liked I believe, La Grande Guerre.

For a shooter there was the Trenches Half-Life1 mod. It was only basic rifles and nades in trench maps and didn’t cover the full spectrum of the experience. I did enjoy it. While it was still hl1’s arcadey movement, it was an early precursor to the tense, ‘keep your head down and make your shot count’ kind of action you find in Red Orchestra.

The most interesting WW1 game I’ve played though would have to be WW1 Medic, by those geniuses who make Dwarf Fortress. It functions like a classic arcade game, but is deceptively deep, while delivering a satirical message on trench warfare.

The thing with WW1 is that a FPS can’t really portray trench warfare without huge numbers of people playing… make a game with 40v40 at least… I would play that :D

I’ve long thought that there is scope for a first person game set either during WW1 or the napoleonic wars. Games don’t all have to be twitch combat games, and Thief proved that sword combat can work, so I don’t buy the argument that you can’t make a game set in a time of pistols or slow loading rifles.

It’s a game I’d definitely be interested in trying if someone made it. if I did 3D games, and had a budget and artists, it’s something I’d try myself.

Weren’t some modders working on a big overhaul mod of HOI2 called “1914” or something? How’d that turn out, if they finished it?

Not too great - there’s very little activity and the mod isn’t really in a playable state (though it’s obvious a lot of work already went into it). Still, you can download version 0.43, the latest release (made a year ago almost to the day).

NECROVISION

Ah, that’s a shame. Instead of add-ons like Doomsday, I’d think the arms race from the 1900’s through 1918 would make for just as compelling a grand strategic game using the HOI2 engine. Ah well.

Found these:
WW1 Source for HL2
Blood & Iron for Civ4 BTS
Battlefield 1918 for BF42

Yeah - it’s not as if there isn’t a lot of material available for such a game. Rip off Sharpe’s Rifles or (for original material) do something on Napoleon’s 1812 campaign. The 1700s would also make a great setting for this kind of game (Barry Lyndon).

On topic, I believe the AgeOD game is not on it’s sixth patch or so. Don’t know the state of the game, as I haven’t played it, but there is a demo available (with the latest patch), so why not check it out yourself?

Operational Art of War includes WWI.

jorune

No one has mentioned Necrovision. Although its WWI with added zombies.

There was also an RTS/strategy game called Entente, I vaguely remember.

I don’t think you’re going to get a better game about it than WW1 Medic. I suggest everyone plays it. Thanks for pointing out it was made by Tarn Adams, caeserbear. I never realised that.

It’s notable for depicting the war as a horrific tragedy rather than something to be excited about taking part in. you don’t get to shoot anyone. You’re just a medic trying to bandage people up and drag them to safety, while praying that you don’t get hit by a stray bullet from either side.

If you somehow manage to survive and keep your side patched up enough that a friendly charge is successful and takes control of the enemy’s trench (an enormously difficult and unlikely feat), the screen just moves up to the next trench, and it carries on.