Games Journalism 2017: Gaming news in a post-truth world

It shouldn’t be instead of; it should be in addition to there is this other option.

Steam is big enough to cut a deal with the ISPs if needed, The console folks are too. I’m not so worried on that end.

What I am worried about is data caps and slow speeds stifling digital downloads.

Also, game companies could play hardball and use their bully pulpit to go after ISPs. Block Comcast from their service and gamers would swap to a new ISP if the game is essential enough.

Unfortunately for many “switch ISPs” isn’t an option. I think cutting off that revenue and the ensuing PR nightmare is a bigger risk than game companies would be willing to take.

Comcast is bigger than most game companies.

You know who’s not big enough? Start-ups. Or Indies. Or, you know, basically any business that is not Valve, Sony, Nintendo or MS.

Net neutrality is extremly important if you want competition and innovation in any market that touches the internet in any significant way.

Oh I agree, much depends on how these companies screw people: if they hit everyone- they’ll risk angering folks enough to get things done, so I suspect they’ll hit specific sites instead of everything.

Drew Scanlon is leaving Giant Bomb. Just announced on the show.

Damn. That’s a bummer.

And in other news…

https://pvplive.net/c/twitch-streamer-dies-during-24-hour-charity-live-s

[quote]
Twitch.tv streamer Brian ‘PoShYbRiD’ Vigneault has been found dead after a 24-hour streaming session for Charity on Twitch. It’s speculated that he died due to heart complications from severe sleep deprivation.[/quote]

This is one reason I never wanna do those long stream sessions, even though I’ve been asked to.

So that is why the Portal games were so amazingly written. God damn.

It’s hard to believe that was written over 15 years ago. Reads like an article that was written last week.

Oh, Jon “JonTron” Jafari, another popular YouTuber, is having a meltdown. His is over immigrants “diluting” the white gene pool.

Here’s a tasty tidbit:

The avatars of those who liked the tweet are wholly unsurprising.

You really think this rant is about miscegenation? Looks more about assimilation.

I’m really not sure how else you interpret his discussion of “stock,” nevermind that the rep he’s talking about initially is pretty blatantly against race-mixing. . .

That’s not in the stuff quoted here. And I suppose I can’t be bothered to hunt down tweets. I actively hate going to Twitter.

Ah, I see the reference now. No, I don’t see that reference of “founding stock” as anything more than comparable to a reference to “our posterity” in US founding docs. The people who made the country what it is.

This is how nuanced his thoughts are: