Games Journalism 2017: Gaming news in a post-truth world

With the older generation? Like my aunts and uncles who are on Facebook? No way. That generation will always think playing games is a child’s activity.

“What if White became a minority, but brown people assimilated into the culture? Would that be okay?”

JonTron: “If they assimilated they would enter the gene pool eventually and… you know…”

link Twitch

EDIT: OMG Discourse autoplays Twitch links? WHAT THE FUCK

Twitter is stimulus. A never ending stream of people talking about now. If something happens in the world or whatever, it’s hard to resist the impulse to see what the ‘water cooler’ conversation is about it.

Oh wow that JonTron vod.

“If you don’t think we’ve gotten rid of discrimination you are living in a fantasy land”

link https://www.twitch.tv/videos/128362374?t=1h24m

This is a pretty good recap/summary.

Wow.

He is a straight up White Supremacist.

I unsubbed after his comments earlier in the year, but I guess he has decided to double down.

I use it to enter contests and keep track of celebrities or organizations… I almost never do anything there myself except retweet something like once a week, at most. It’s all commercial for me. No one i know actually knows I am on it.

Amex deals on Twitter are pretty good~!

Screw-em. This gaming troll, as my uncle once called him because my computer was in the basement when I was a kid, makes as lot of money on these useless gaming machines.

I convinced my Grandmother to game with me and the rest of my D&D group, in the D&D era (D&D not AD&D). She was born just barely in the 1800s and quite the “church lady” too. Yes, this was in that era of D&D gaming hysteria. It helped we were an all girl group I think.

So, you never know!

C’mon, we need more info than that! How did it go? Did she become regular?

She did, when she was in town. She lived out of town. She laughed and had fun, we were all in late high school, so not exactly children.

None of my relatives in her town every gave me grief about D&D. She was head of many committees at her church and widely known as “she who you do not mess with” socially, oldest child in a large family, busybody widow, unafraid to impose her opinion with full weight of social scorn, etc … you get the picture.

I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall the first time someone brought up the D&D hysteria articles around her! I enjoy imagining it though …

That’s so awesome. In the 90’s I had to tell my parents I was playing Monopoly at a friend’s house for about a year until my D&D escapades were eventually found out!

When my parents assessed I was probably less damaged for NOT having been playing Monopoly for a year, I was allowed to continue with D&D, albeit with an initial watchful eye. They had bought into some of the 80’s anti-RPG hysteria. Thankfully they came around.

90’s, I demonstrated to a friend’s mom how we cast spells… when she realized we weren’t chanting anything her sons could play with us. That was a very church going family, and sometimes we went with them. I remember the 90s hysteria being focused on someone being killed in the park, maybe in the UK.

One of my favorite recent memories was having a player in one of the games I GM bring her mother–a ~70 YO, stately Puerto Rican woman who was a longtime fighter for social and economic justice on the island–to one of our crazy Fate Core games. She sat by us on the next table over, reading her book at first, but eventually just listening to the shenanigans and beaming like a lamp. That momma’s cool as hell.

Hell, my two main IRL gaming groups span ages from 25 to ~50 and 30 to 54, respectively. I suspect my Qt3 RPG group is a similar expanse.

Mind, we’re outta the 80s badtimes nowadays, but still!

(PS, power to you for doing this, @Hechicera. This is an awesome story. Please never stop sharing it)

Oh man, after JonTron someone with a lot twitter followers wanted to go on the same stream and do a better job defending JonTron’s points. Turned out to be a full on White Nationalist – like ‘America fought on the wrong side of World War 2’ caliber. Also we need to reverse woman’s suffrage because women are based in emotion and can’t be trusted with the vote (his wife agreed!). lol.

What was her class/character?

I ignore most social media other than Twitter, which I like a lot, so I’ll try to add to what others have said:

It’s fantastic for “live reporting” on events - whether that be a news event, or to supplement a sporting event you’re watching, the Oscars, political debates (ugh) etc. But mainly it’s a completely customized feed of information and people I’m interested in - friends, industry people, poker players for tournament updates, columnists I like - without the nonsense of Facebook, where you might feel obligated to keep people in your feed because they’re family or old friends (even if you think they’re wacky). Twitter is a way to keep touch solely with people you want (and that may vary at different times - for instance, I follow far more poker players during the WSOP than I do at other times of the year).

You can also elect to keep your feed private, if you just want to use it for a group of close friends – or if you feel somehow obliged to follow someone in your family to avoid friction (even though, as I said above, that’s more of a Facebook thing) you can follow but “mute” someone, so they think you’re following them but you don’t actually see their feeds, etc.

The one thing I don’t really understand is following celebrities you don’t know. That’s just weird to me, especially since many don’t post their own tweets as the account is controlled by a PR or communications manager - but then there’s notable exceptions, where you get unfiltered posts from that celeb that you might find amusing or entertaining for one reason or another.

But one thing you discover is that there is a real art to tweeting - some people are just much more entertaining at using the format and writing within the 140 character limit. Aside from close friends, I tend to be pretty ruthless at following only people who actually use the format well - and when someone is good at it, they’re often more interesting and worthwhile following than people you might otherwise like more or be more interested in. For instance, I follow a comic writer who I thought was a b-level writer even though I haven’t picked up comics in years and have gradually dropped all the other comic writers I previously followed, just because his tweets are more fresh and amusing.

Anyway, I love twitter.

Wil Wheaton, George Takei, Mayim Balik are good examples; they tend to control their social media themselves and they use the forum very well actually.

Norm MacDonald is reason enough to visit Twitter.

Plenty of celebrities have no filter on their twitter account. Hell I’ve seen JK Rowling be as savage as any angry anime avatar in some of her responses (too far, I think).

Yeah, Norm has some epic stories

She seems more embarrassing than funny to me (same with Takei and Wheaton - never checked out MacDonald or heard of the other person mentioned), but that’s the great thing about Twitter- you can get a personalized feeds of stuff you find entertaining or amusing