Games Journalism 2018: We're taking it back!

This is some very important insight into EA and I wish it could be stickied or whatever.

Some people want everything to be some grand conspiracy, involving a cast of thousands in the cover-up. It’s never like that.

@Rod_Humble I appreciate your perspective on the gaming industry. Thanks for hanging in here at this hive of scum and villainy. :)

Well, Battlefield 1 really was culturally insensitive for a whole bunch of reasons, the biggest of which was the anglo-saxon american-centrism. Just for the black soldier on the cover, the game buries in some side material the fact that the Harlem Hellfighters fought for France because americans didn’t actually want them. I mean, he’s the only French soldier in the game at release too, but the yanks get both a single player campaign and a multiplayer one. Oops!

I always wondered to what extent this was American bigwigs at EA forcing their views on Swedish devs at DICE or if they “internalized” anglo-saxon perspective. Any articles about that?

I appreciate @Rod_Humble’s insider perspective at EA, but I’m a bit cynical at their efforts. Every company does a bit of soul-searching and corporate responsibility CSR stuff. It looks good. But looking at their business practices like DLC and the like, I don’t see much to be impressed about.

Cheers! Of course you are always making a good bet to be cynical about EA, I am just saying in this narrow case I doubt a complicated plan to divert attention away from loot boxes happened.

I always wondered to what extent this was American bigwigs at EA forcing their views on Swedish devs at DICE or if they “internalized” anglo-saxon perspective. Any articles about that?

You didn’t ask me but I have no insights on that. I can tell you The Sims studio never got that kind of directive.

The worst we ever got was around business models & game types, which EA absolutely did push hard. In that case its not very complicated, in fact all of the studio heads used to joke about it, we knew what was coming in a studio review, if your game didn’t have similar models to the top ten games in the world you had better have a good reason why not. In our case when World of Warcraft was doing great every game it was asked why it wasnt an MMO? After that when Facebook took off, why isnt this a Facebook game? Then Mobile etc etc.

As I say pretty obvious and very predictable.

I’m late responding, and others have given good answers, but I also think that it’s because by and large people here don’t really disagree about the journalism articles that aren’t P&R. People post other things occasionally, and it’s usually either crickets or everyone agrees it was a good/bad article and moves on. Arguments about individual games almost always happen in the dedicated threads.

This is… entirely not surprising.

World of Simscraft
Clash of Sims
League of Sims

Rod why did you fail to make these?

I am getting triggered by flashbacks. “Whats The Sims version of Ultimate Team Rod? Can that be in the next expansion? Can that be out for this holiday?”
/Eye twitch
8)

Seems like today everything is Battle Royale.

Sims Online was a thing. Briefly.

Red can invite 100 journalist to a one hands-on event with Cyberpunk, but only allow 1 journalist to have the controls

Seems relevant to the discussion, a mainstream outlets coverage.

Good to know.

Just as well Spartan historical accuracy isn’t important tbh

I suggest moving the discussion to other thread.

This is probably horrible, and may end with somebody banned and other people angry

This one has a cool title, but is still in Games and not P&R

Choose your poison.

Heh, the irony is other than a few pet topics these days I’m a full blown SJW with a number of articles about privilege and intersectionality to my name. Nothing like Brexit and Trump to prove me wrong. I tend to stick the other hat on mainly around pointless bullshit in pop culture.

From Cleve’s Grimoire!

Please, Mark. No.

Over at The Ringer …

Uh, yeah none of these were relevant in the past…this guy is trying too hard.

Is it not politically correct to use the Norks as an example now?