Games Journalism 2020 - Who gets the axe this time?

I mean it’s basically already a marketing property, as far as i can tell. I’ve been entering in some contest to win a fancy tv with them each day this month and it’s all just “click here to read our paid ‘coverage’ of 5g tech and the new consoles and then click these sponsored amazon links!” crap across the board.

CNET is sitting on some valuable domain names.

Wonder if those get auctioned off next

Keep in mind this deal includes Giant Bomb.

Well, just about a year after bringing Sin Vega on, RPS is letting her go (Matt Cox, too, I guess, and while he’s one of the better writers they still have [had, I suppose], he just doesn’t have Sin’s unique voice). Circling the drain intensifies.

And there I was wondering if Bakalar would still be on the podcast. I wonder if they’ll go independent again. Can’t imagine they’ll be a good fit

It chugged on a bit for longer than I expected after Kieron Gillen left, but I think RPS has been waiting for someone to put it out of its misery for years at this point.

Yes, it doesn’t seem very far from turning into a Pocket Tactics-esque travesty at this point.

Idk, I liked a lot of Alec Meer’s stuff that crossed my feed.

Yeah, I’m not being fair to the other founding RPS people, who were generally very good. They have good people periodically now, but there was a time when I would go read RPS every day, and that hasn’t been the case in years.

There are still occasionally really good pieces, but nothing than motivates me to check daily.

Alec Meer, Dominic Tarason, Matt Cox, all pretty ok, but they’re not John Walker or Sin Vega (and none of them are still there). I don’t really have too many memories of Kieron Gillen. Ditto Jim Rossignol. Probably started reading RPS just about as they were out the door. I think they were pretty ok? The turnover there seems pretty high. I guess RPS doesn’t pay as well as PC Gamer(?!).

I thought Alec Meer had also departed from RPS back in April 2019.

Edit: I may be misreading posts here.

Yeah, he’s gone. Also I guess it’s Matthew Castle and not Matt Cox leaving? Honestly, and rudely, I forgot that guy existed; I don’t watch videos. When someone said “Matt” I jumped to conclusions.

I am just a big old sucker for New Games Journalism, so I love Kieron.

Does he still write gaming pieces now that he’s a big-time comics writer?

I don’t think so. Seems like he is pretty busy with the whole comics thing.

Damn, layoffs at US Gamer, too.

More trouble for Ubi:

Ancel responded to Liberation’s report on Instagram:

Sadly, one of my favorite little corners on the internet is half shutting down and half moving to PCGamesN: Strategy Gamer.

I will miss greatly their independent website. :-(

Yeah, they tried to put a brave face on it, but it’s basically PCGamesN gobbling up the site along with Wargamer. I don’t see any upside.

Btw, if you set out to create a worthless generic game website could anyone have done a better job than PCGamesN has?

Jason Schreier posted this:

Which, of course, brought out the CDPR defender brigade and a shitposting war began.

Which gave us this golden exchange: