Gaming chairs, whatcha recommend?

Anybody use a Steelcase Gesture? The big second hand office furniture site here has got a really good deal on them at the moment, but it’s just the base model without a headrest. I really liked the Gesture in the Steelcase showroom, but I’m worried that I’ll regret not having a headrest long-term.

I don’t have a headrest on mine, but then, I don’t lean back in it. It’s a great chair, and I’m glad I have it for when I don’t want to stand for some reason, though that’s what I usually am doing these days.

Update: I ordered that same chair Brian got* and it was delivered today. Got it put together tonight, which required a bit of exertion doing it alone. While it’s nothing that’s going to last 20-some years like a near-new name brand $1000 plus office chair, it might last 5 with good treatment, provided the pneumatic spring holds up. It feels sturdy enough for my 190+ pounds on a 5’10" frame. Not sitting in it currently because I didn’t want to wrangle it up the stairs after my current house guest went to bed, but will tomorrow.

*saw it was on sale in the Costco circular for 170, delivered.

I bought a Steelcase Leap chair a while back. I kind of regret it since it has no headrest, does not have a lot of padding, is made out of an itchy material, and costed ~$400.

:(

On the plus side, it still seems pretty sturdy after however many years, and I am very heavy.

I have a slightly different question but it’s related. I need a gaming loveseat.

I have a study and a mesh office chair for it, which is fine. But the study has a big screen TV and Xbox in it too, and normally I scoot out the desk chair and just use it to game. But I want something I can spread out in and maybe have my eldest join me occasionally for some co-op action. The style of the room is all black wood furniture, so I’m thinking black might too much for the room. Other than that I’m completely open.

What’s the best gaming couch (two person)?

I wonder if a manual recliner type chair would make for a good way to be comfortable in front of your desktop PC?

Link.

Looks silly, but maybe there’s something to the idea.

For many years I did most of my computing out of a recliner. Rather than using it at a desk I had my monitor on an arm I could swing into place, kept the keyboard in my lap and ran the mouse on the thick arm of the chair.

I used a product called “the easy chair mount” which was a big plate that you’d put the chair on top of that was connected to a pole which had a monitor arm. The arm part wasn’t the best quality so I made a hybrid with part of an ergotron arm. Unfortunately the easy chair mount doesn’t appear to be sold anymore.

Ergonomically opposed. Recliner has you leaning back. Desktop needs your back straight or leaning forward.

This, absolutely.

The only way a recliner works as a desk chair is if you only play games, and you only use a controller. You’re far better off with a good office chair.

Recliner can be awesome if you frakenchair it and you’re handy at building. Putting a keyboard platform and mouse platform on the arms + recliner with footrest is gaming heaven. I had this at one point, was awesome, but it’s certainly a slight project.

I used to sit on a slim wooden rocking chair while using my desktop PC. It was very nice, but eventually I broke it. I’ve gained a lot of weight, and try not to sit on any antique chairs anymore.

For a moment I thought you meant:

https://i.imgur.com/T0uyfIQ.gif

I picked up an Icon from Nobel chairs which got great reviews. Build quality is premium. Ergonomics are rock solid. And I’ve mostly thrown them out the window. Rock solid describes the seat firmness, so I use a chair pillow. I recline it almost 100% of the time with my feet up on my desk.

Nice to know that when the back problems start I have a chair I can use properly. Until then, I kinda wish I went with the cushy recliner.

My car seat still is the comfiest way I ever computed.

I just got a Secretlabs Omega this past month to replace my last chair. Liking it so far.

I showed my wife the new Batman Titan yesterday and she hit me. Secretlabs ads show up on my newsfeeds a lot. I am enticed, but the price

I am currently using a Steelcase Leap I picked up from a used furniture dealer for $300. I like it okay enough, after I dropped an Obusform cushion on the seat.

I’d been debating getting a used Herman Miller, they are still in the $500 range. I work from home, so I’m willing to spend a bit more than I probably would otherwise. The chair before this was a dxracer, which worked well enough, but was starting to fall apart.

I have one and I don’t like it at all because it doesn’t elevate high enough to work with my adjustable desk when it is in its lowest state. I recommend you look closely at max elevation of the seat and compare that with where you need to be for your desk before buying a Herman Miller chair.

I just ordered this Fully chair because the price was right and I have a Fully adjustable desk, so I thought they might work well together. It arrives next week.

That was one of my issues with the dxracer, it didn’t get quite high enough for my arms to be level with the desktop. The Secretlabs chair is much better in that regard. The chair itself has better elevation, and the arm rests have a better adjustment range as well.

Well, I just gave in and ordered a Secretlabs Titan XL. Going to be a couple months before it arrives, but it’s looking more and more like my home office arrangements will need to extend well into the future.