Gaming For Little Kids

Y’know, it’s not point and click, but Double Fine’s Stacking is a modern adventure game and worth a look. A Hat In Time reminded me of it with its whimsical but occasionally dark tone, bright characters, themed worlds and individual scenarios. My girlfriend and I loved trying to work out all the different and creative ways of solving certain puzzles. It’s really charming, open, easy to grasp, and rewards exploration, a bit like A Hat In Time. Could be a good fit, no pun intended.

In boardgaming, I never played much as a kid but our (fairly bright) 7-year old is kinda interested in chess and I had a successful run through Ticket to Ride with her last night. Is there anything 2-3 player that’s a similar level of semi-random skill driven and easy to pick up?

Zooloretto might be a good starting one. The strategy is pretty simple (and it’s almost impossible to totally fail at). Plus, the theme of building your own zoo is pretty easy with kids.

Dixit may be another worth looking into. Simple mechanics, colorful pictures. Creativity around.

That also sounds good. I don’t know anything about that, but we played both of the Costume Quest games and I’m generally happy with Double Fine’s kid-friendliness.

We played a bit of Monkey Island last night and haven’t gotten to any puzzles yet, beyond “sneak past the cook in the Scumm Bar kitchen when he leaves”, so we’ll see how that goes.

We love Dixit! Mysterium has similarities, and I know some prefer it, but Dixit is a much easier game to just whip out and get stuck into. I love the tension between being obvious or vague enough to score the most points. I think that’s a pretty inspired and subtle scoring mechanic.