Gaming on PC vs. Gaming on consoles . . . a thoughtful and measured discussion.

Why are we even talking about RDR2? Don’t you know that Age of Empires 2 DE is coming out next week? Seriously, good games comes out more frequently on PC then any console.

Dominions, Pathfinder, Age of Empires 2 DE, Iron Harvest, Battletech, all PC exclusives. And so many of the will have the option to include mods.

And, that ignores the fact that I can usually play any game from the past 2 decades that is available.

There are few exclusive games on Xbox or PS4 that seem interesting to me.

I was just covering that! I do like my occasional AAA game but most of the time I am playing oddball indy titles like Autonauts.

Sorry, I just re-read it.

But, a few people seemed focus on it, so I meant my comment to be more general.

I was editing it while you posted, so you probably never got the chance. But I fully agree.

It’s not free if you are paying for it, and it gets taken away when you are not.

It’s a mix of both. You get two 360/Original Xbox games a month to keep forever, and 2 Xbox One games a month that will go away when your gold membership is not currently active. But you do get the two free games a month to keep, still. So that’s 158 games so far that program has given me for free, even if Gold is not active.

Oh that’s interesting. I don’t think that’s how PS+ works. I am under the impression my free games will go away. And of course they are not free because I am paying for the subscription.

I suppose you can call them freeish since no one paying specifically for the game but in the video game space, there are literal free, don’t have to pay them anything games so maybe we need a slightly different term for these quasi free ones.

Well, not really free. You did have to pay $60 for the service.

Usually $30-$35 most years, since I wait for sales. But yes, your point still stands. I especially think of PS+ that way, since I don’t play multiplayer on PS. At least with Xbox Live Gold, I make use of the multiplayer part, so the games do feel more like “free”. I suspect it’s the same for people that play multiplayer on PS4, mentally you’re more likely to view it as free.

I personally don’t like having the games that go away when you’re not an active member though. I just don’t count those as free in my head for either Gold or PS+.

Alternatively, you could sign up for Microsoft Rewards and accumulate points by using Bing for search. I haven’t paid for Xbox Live in years.

I own a PC, PS4, Xbox One and Switch. I already posted my reasons for prefering PC above.

The only time I would ever buy multiplatform games on one of the consoles is when I have friends on those platforms that want to play multiplayer with me. Thankfully they slowly seem to be buying gaming PCs one by one, so maybe that wont even be a consideration much longer.

The other niche situation would be wanting to play games portably on the Switch, but I’ve found the performance of that platform to be so appalling in some titles that it seems rare that I’d want to.

When my kids were younger and I had an ex-wife who also used the TV all the time in the living room, I preferred to game in the solitary comfort of my bedroom on the PC with headphones on.

Currently, only have one 16 year old at home who prefers to watch Youtube/Netflix/Amazon Prime Video on her laptop in her room. My wife doesn’t watch TV (neither do I, really, we haven’t had cable in years). The only time the TV is used for viewing is when the wife and I are watching a show on Netflix. So I have the TV to myself and prefer to game their.

I don’t miss tweaking settings or trying to get some older game to work properly or shelling out hundreds of dollars to upgrade graphics cards and worry about overclocking and cooling solutions. Sure, it was a fun hobby in and of itself, but I don’t have that time anymore and prefer to just turn it on and go.

So have not owned a gaming PC or any type of PC in at least a decade. Have several laptops for work/surfing/music and the only gaming on them is for my GOG RPG collection of older games. I think it’s great that PC games now see releases on consoles so that I don’t get to miss too much.

Would I like the better performance and graphics of a PC? Sure, but consoles have come pretty far and games look just fine to me on the Xbox One X. Also, I’ve always had a soft spot for consoles having grown up with them in the 80s.

Duh, just saw this, never mind my post, I guess. Don’t currently have a gaming PC as I stated in previous post.

Probably not a relevant point for most, but if we’re talking about hardware lifecycles, my PC is more backward compatible than a console, and games in my Steam library have way more longevity than discs. I’ve got a couple of games from the mid aughts installed on my PC right now; I don’t even know what console generation I’d have to dig up to replay them.

Thanks for your reply, but I feel like you kind of missed the point of your own thread premise. Here’s what you say you want to focus on:

But with regards to cost and gamepads, you no longer seem to be talking about a person who has both systems, and is just deciding which one to play a new game on:

That’s an argument for someone who doesn’t own a console or a PC and is deciding which one to get. It’s irrelevant to “someone who has BOTH”.

Sure, that’s a solid argument for not attempting to play Total War or the like with a controller, but pretty much any game that you’re deciding whether to buy on console or PC is going to be built around the controller, with the optional KB+M controls as the afterthought.

Personally I use controller on PC wherever possible, including fps and even strategy games like Age of Wonders and XCOM.

It’s far more comfortable. Plus my mouse skills have degraded since I rarely use one anymore. I generally use a Wacom Intuos Pro, mostly as a touchpad when not working with the pen. I wish more PC games better supported the touch input.

So because 1 person in 1 game is “Top 150” with a gamepad, that means the two control schemes are equally good? Lol

This really isn’t up for debate. You may prefer gamepads over mice for whatever reason, but the mouse is vastly superior in latency, speed, and precision. If it weren’t, gamepads would be the dominant control method in competitive PC FPS games.

What’s always amused me about the whole controller vs k+m control scheme is that, almost always the folks who are pro k+m are focusing entirely on the m half of that equation. Which is understandable, the mouse is capable of way more precision than a thumbstick. I prefer controller myself, but I’m not going to try to bullshit anybody that I could compete with anyone who goes against me with a mouse. But there’s also that whole k piece, which is not nearly as decent. And I mainly dislike the keyboard for movement for two reasons: one, I have to use my left hand, and two, it’s not analog and so I’m not capable of nearly as refined control of movement. Kind of like how the mouse is better for aiming than a thumbstick, the keyboard is the inverse.

Sure, I know, there are savants among us who have been doing k+m since we started fires by banging rocks together, and they’d never give it up. Good on all y’all. But I’ll give up the sharp aiming of the mouse if it means I don’t have to try to navigate with the keyboard.

That’s not true and others in this thread have talked about ways the keyboard is better. Not having to deal with dead zone and acceleration makes a difference and the immediate feedback for strafing (and less travel) is an improvement as well.

You can react faster with a keyboard than with an analog stick for strafing and upward movement, plus keyboard gives you much closer auxilarly keys for secondary actions.

As to the first part, oh no, demonstrably wrong. I absolutely cannot react faster with a keyboard than an analog stick. As to the second part, I have no idea what that means.