Gaming Podcasts - Good, Bad, and Nerdy

Sports Anomaly is good, actually. I listened to it regularly for a while even though I haven’t played a sports game since RBI Baseball. The guys are entertaining, and the discussion never goes on too long. There’s not usually that much to talk about, though, so it tends to be on the shorter side (~30 min).

I checked a couple of episodes of this today. Man, whoever the host of this is has such a droning, monotonic voice, I was falling asleep at my desk.

Also, interviews with industry people almost always sound scripted by marketing (Brad Wardell interviews notwithstanding). Not sure why podcasts keep doing them, since they so rarely say anything I couldn’t have gotten from a preview.

C-

The trick, IMHO, is to tell them ahead of time “We can talk about anything EXCEPT your game.”

(Of course, if the guy is cool like Brad you can waive the rule…)

Hope I don’t get drilled here for egregious self-promotion but this seems like the right place to mention GameSpot’s just-released sports gaming podcast, From the Bleachers. We just put up Episode 3 today.

Thanks,
Brian Ekberg

Wow. There’s got to be a more recent thread for this, but I couldn’t find it. Sorry, my Google-fu is weak.

For those who are interested, the Jumping the Shark podcast (former Gameshark, now No High Scores people) is ending with their next episode.

Anyone have an up to date list of good gaming-related podcasts?

My weekly must-listens are

Giant Bombcast
Giant Beastcast
Idle Thumbs

other than that, I listen to Famicom Dojo, which is a nintendo/retro themed podcast related to a youtube channel. But they are sporadic with episodes.

The three I listen to most weeks are Crate and Crowbar, Idle Thumbs, and Giant Beastcast.

Jumping the Shark and Three Moves Ahead were my choices. I guess I’ll be reduced to one soon. :(

Seconding anything Giant Bomb does.

My always listen right now is PS I Love You XOXO, a podcast for all things Sony by the Kinda Funny guys. They do an assortment of other shows as well, but their longevity covering Sony provides a lot of interview opportunities and insights that I’ve grown to appreciate.

I wish I understood what the appeal of Giant Bomb was. I’ve tried it no less than three times, and every time I try it, they have started the podcast with no introductions and blathered on for 30-45 minutes about something unrelated to gaming. Either energy drinks, or pro wrestling, or just a bunch of inside jokes. It’s impenetrable to me.

And then I see that it’s three hours long and bail.

If you don’t like the asides you won’t like it. Although you might like the asides on the Giant Beastcast more, they tend go off on a different stuff. I really liked the contest to explain Halo in 30 seconds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyM6H36EfIU

Well, since you are a Totally NOT a crabby bastard, I don’t know what to tell you :)

Been listening since the arrow pointing down days, and If you are into the personalities on the show, it is really great. I am always disappointed when the show is shorter than 3 hours. That is kind of how any personality driven show goes though, if you don’t like listening to the people, you won’t like it.

I am loving the Beastcast though, really missed having Vinny on a podcast. Alex and Austin make great co-hosts too. The beastcast seems to be more PC-centric RPG/strategy games talk.

I used to love Giant Bombcast, but when it lost its ringmaster, it lost so much more. It feels as if the show is now done by people who hate any game that doesn’t achieve a certain dudebro coefficient, or which is specifically lazy enough for them to just riff off of in a bad MST3K style. They’re still telling the same in-jokes that were barely funny three years ago.

I don’t think that is true.

I’m really enjoying the Idle Weekend podcast - Rob Zacny of Three Moves Ahead and Danielle Riendeau (of Jumping the Shark/Idle Thumbs/etc).

You can add me to the list of those that don’t really get the appeal of GiantBomb.

Yes! This is such a great podcast; one of my recent favorites.

My other two staples that I have listened to for about 6 years are:

Gamers With Jobs
Three Moves Ahead

-Todd

Gamers with Jobs for sure. They have a brief intro and get right down to discussing games. Very focused podcast. And I enjoy it when they include a female guest as it breaks up the usual “guy talk” about games and throws in different perspectives. Been listening for years now.

My current regular listens:

Idle Thumbs
Idle Weekend
Giant Bombcast
Beastcast
Three Moves Ahead
DLC
Crate and Crowbar
Daft Souls
One Life Left
Gamers With Jobs

Occasional listens:
Designer Notes
Cool Games Inc
Game Design Roundtable
QT3 (release more frequent episodes guys!)
Assorted DotA casts

Fallen away:
Player One
Jumping The Shark
PC Gamer (US and then UK)

Another great–but very specific one–is Roguelike Radio.

You have to REALLY be into roguelikes though. It is a treasure trove of designer interviews, dissections of the genre, and really deep dives into exemplars from the genre.

-Todd