Gaming Speakers

I have a 4.1 Logitech setup with wireless back speakers on my main PC, which I’ve been using for some time. The wireless speakers are dying, apparently due to a known issue with crappy capacitor, which people have repaired by ripping apart the speakers and getting out a soldering gun and replacing the capacitor, etc. Those sort of repairs are probably beyond me and it just sounds like a lot of work for something that I might not pull off, so I’m thinking of getting a new setup, although I’m not in any hurry.

But from checking around, it seems like there have been a ton of tech changes in speaker tech over recent years, so I have a bunch of questions for you gurus:

1. Do people even buy gaming speakers anymore, or do they instead just get more general purpose speakers? Maybe that’s a question of cost?

2. as a follow-up to previous question, do people just use bluetooth speakers now, which they can use for multiple purposes (i.e. moving them around for either gaming, or to play music in other rooms, etc.)?

3. 5.1 systems (or 4.1, or 7.1) seems to no longer be as trendy or popular - has there been a movement back to just 2 speakers, or 2.1 with a subwoofer? It seems like single speakers are more capable than they once were. Finding appropriate locations for the other speakers and hiding wires, etc. was a pain and not really practical in my place, but I did like surround sound when it worked and was well supported.

4. Basically looking for recommendations

Try calling Logitech, they have excellent customer service.

I don’t know if there’s a movement, but I’ve been using the same Klipsch Promedia 2.1 speakers for over 15 years now. Speakers last forever. Consider whether you really care about rear speakers. If not, just throw em out and continue without purchasing anything.

The Wirecutter didn’t even bother reviewing 4.1 systems. Actually, they only reviewed 2.0, not 2.1s.

Amazon still sells my speakers. They sound great.

http://smile.amazon.com/Klipsch-ProMedia-Certified-Computer-Speaker/dp/B000062VUO

I have the Corsair SP2500 as my primary gaming speakers and have been pleased with them. Before that I used the Logitech Z623, which were solid too; I’m still using them on my secondary work PC. I’ve heard pretty good things about Audioengine’s speakers, but decided the A5+ was a little too rich for my blood.

You may also wish to consider Dolby Surround headphones, which I’ve read have gotten a lot better in recent years; don’t actually own a pair myself, though.

My Logitech G51 recently started having problems with the right rear channel. Logitech didn’t have any offer of repair/support for it other than “contact your local electronics shop.” After looking at available options for 5.1 systems (there aren’t many!) I instead decided to get a really nice set of headphones. I ended up with the Sennheiser PC363D headphones and they are amazing. It comes with a USB interface that acts as a sound card and provides the 7.1 virtualization. It works surprisingly well and the sound quality is top notch.

I never thought I’d give up my 7.1 setup, but I bought myself the Sennheiser PC350 headphones and now will unlikely ever hook up speakers in my office/PC-gaming room again. My primary reason for the switch was noise-reduction (i.e. not waking up my wife) but the headphones are super comfortable and they sound amazing so I have no qualms about it. I have a Soundblaster Zx so plug them into the ACM module sitting on my desk for easy access and shorter cord length.

I think the popularity of 5.1-7.1 speakers has waned mainly because of placement/space issues and people don’t care about getting the best out of sound when it sounds “good enough.” I never thought I’d use headphones to watch movies (where I have 5.1 speakers), but I do that now from time-to-time, too, even though I seek out BDs with DTS Master audio and the like. Convenience and ease-of-use trumps the quality, I guess. I’m no audiophile, so take all that as you will, but I’d suggest getting the best set of headphones your wallet can manage and ditch the speakers altogether if you really want to replace what you have.

I do already have a good pair of headphones, which I use occasionally, but generally I find it annoying and hot to wear headphones for any prolonged period.

I’ve been using nothing but 2.1 since 1993. Never wanted anything more. Worked fine for the original Thief games, and that was good enough for me.

Currently using the Logitech Z-4 2.1. I picked these up like 5 years ago, and they’ve sounded fantastic for the price. I think I paid $69. List was $89. At that price point, I’ve never heard anything nearly as good. Gaming, music, it all sounds really good. In fact, I’ve heard speakers that cost three times as much that didn’t sound as good. And the control pod is very handy (Volume, Bass, on/off, and a place to plug your headset in, both mic and headphones.

Probably not audiophile quality, but I love my music, and this little set sounds terrific, even turned up fairly loud.

Also, while I’m not terribly fussy, I find that I do require a 2.1 set rather than 2.0. I must have my thumping bass, both for games and music.

I’ve used a number of 2.1 setups over the years. Last year I was shopping around for some speakers for my work office and picked up a $100 pair of Bose Companion 2 speakers without doing any research at Best Buy. Best speakers I’ve ever had hooked up to a computer and I replaced the altec lansings I was using at home with another pair. I don’t blast the volume generally and the bass reproduction is wonderful at the levels I actually use. Pretty decent paired with my MDR-V6 headphones, too, which I probably end up using half the time.

For dirt cheap 2.1 I really like these:
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-980-000382-Z313-Speaker-System/dp/B002HWRZ2K

I have a couple of these setup in our study. I mostly use them for music on days I work from home but they don’t sound too bad with games either.

I have a set of razer mako speakers (http://www.razerzone.com/minisite/mako/thx.html). They don’t make them anymore so it’s kind of hit or miss to find them. They sound really good. The sub is large enough that bass sounds normal to me.

Finally had reason to pick up the Mackie CR3 (still the top pick recommended by Wirecutter, 4 years later) for my son’s gaming desk build and they are very solid for $99, great sound.

Heh, I got the same set from that very Wirecutter article. Excepting that horrible green led, I love them. Before that I used the crappy 2W speakers on my monitor and my awesome Sennheiser wireless headphones(which I still use several times a week).

I still need some gaming speakers - will I miss a subwoofer with these?

I always recommend a subwoofer because BASS, HOW LOW CAN YOU GO / DEATH ROW, WHAT A BROTHER KNOW but I wouldn’t say it is strictly required. Large enough desktop style speakers have adequate bass, typically.

I have extra subs and I don’t bother hooking them up to my PC.