Gearbox buys Homeworld license

GearBox disabled multiplayer in the “Classic” versions for some reason. There’s already a mod to re-enable it in HW2 Classic. Not 100% sure it works though.

Well it used gamespy i think and that doesn’t exist anymore.

GameRanger supports the original games, I was just playing Cataclysm over it the other day. Not sure about the Steam versions though.

Who wants to play the old version now?

Folks who don’t like the changes or bugs in the remastered versions, I take it.

We are old school, and we are Legion.

Also: totally skipped HW back in '99. I was an anti-RTS zealot at the time. Still not my favorite genre, but I’ll occasionally dip my toes now with the best of the lot (the AoEs, HW, the Wargame: We Screwed Up With Navies series, etc.)

Is it possible to salvage capital ships? (My 8 salvage corvettes seem to prefer hanging around the enemy capital ship rather than capturing it).

edit: disregard. I was trying to capture the enemy carrier which seems to be a no-no for that mission.

I think i tried this in the exact same mission.

In the second wastelands mission i did manage to snag myself a destroyer AND the carrier. booya! and then i got aboslutely murderized in the next one.

gotta love that scaling difficulty…

Indeed. I always tried to explain it away in my head by saying “Well, my bigger, better resourced, and well performing fleet is just drawing more attention.” That also led to rationalizing the break-down-your-fleet-and-then-rebuild-each-mission cheat by saying I was doing it for “stealth” reasons. Of course, there was that lovely cognitive dissonance that also came from believing it was a BS system in place that made me try to rationalize it in the first place.

How good is the difficulty scaling in this?

I’ve been cheesing it slightly by building up an armada before and after an “event” knowing that the game is about to throw more enemies at me? It feels a little cheap to be gaming it slightly.

Can I just play it normally and trust the game to balance things naturally enough? (I’m not sure if they tweaked the scaling in the Remaster).

The scaling in HW1 is decent, if you don’t go round capturing everything in sight.

In HW2…it pays to have considerably less than the cap.

Any tips for Diamond Shoals? Getting my ass handed to me.

I didn’t think the original HW1 had any difficulty scaling. I guess they added it to the remaster?

As for HW2: I think I cheesed it a bit when I played, but IIRC, I was able to get by playing pretty normally. The key is to always have a save game at the end of each mission, so if you find the next mission overwhelming because of the difficulty scaling, you can always go back and scrap your fleet. In general, I think this also means that it’s better to carry resources forward instead of ships, both for the difficulty scaling and because that gives you the flexibility to build whatever you need.

No, HW1 always had it. The scaling was purely in the number of ships you face, though - and it wasn’t excessive.

The problem with remastered is the “HW1” uses the original HW2 dynamic difficulty (as it’s in the HW2 engine).

Ha…outstanding.
I used almost the same exact fiction in my head.

Got through this on my 3rd or 4th attempt. What a dumb mission. The game is moving along nicely introducing the player to an increasingly challenging enemy and then throws this inexplicable curve ball. It’s sole aim is to reduce your fleet and make you curse the laggy response of your instructions to your ships. The whole level seems so out of place and cheap and threatens to taint the enjoyment of the game up to that point.

I remember playing it in the original but not being as difficult. I watched a walkthrough on YouTube of the same level and the player had a similar opinion, that they cranked up the number of asteroids. Certainly felt that way.

I didnt lose a single ship to that. just docked all the little guys and had my ion beam frigses and destroyers cut a path. I also had three support frigates healing the mamabanana. took two tries. second time i did pause the games to make decisions on what rock to hit. wasnt that hard, you big crybaby :P

The ghost ship mission has bugged out on me… I think I will have to redo it. I captured all the mind controlled ships via salvage corvette and now the mission is stalled. Sending a salvage corvette to the ghost ship does nothing.

I gather the “right” way to do this mission is to attack the ghost ship with strike craft until the mind control field drops, so I guess i will have to do it that way instead.