Gearbox buys Homeworld license

Well that might have been part of my problem. Ain’t got none of them new-fangled techs. I accidentally declined the offer of a new technology from the Bentusi in the previous mission (I’m guessing this was the Ion Frigate). And destroyers, I haven’t captured any of them.

I was trying to NOT build up a mega army as I was under the impression that the auto scaling would reduce the need for gaming it like this. Then I get punished in Diamond Shoals for not having 43 Ion and Support Frigates by the end of mission 5!

cry cry cry :)

In the original the way to play was capture to get over the supply cap. Is that still the case? It always felt to gamey to me.

In the originals auto-scaling, yes. Under the HW2 system, which is being used in the remastered version? Uh.

I think you probably can get through the asteroids without ion frigates, e.g. with a lot of bombers. But
ion frigates are such a critical technology - by far the most cost-effective way to kill other capital ships - that you may want to restart anyway. Much more valuable than any other frigate type. It’d be an interesting challenge to play without them.

Anyone comment on how this compares to the original game(s) plus Homeworld Complex - primarily the graphics? I played the hell out of that last year and found it really fun, although the strategic elements were pretty deep and somewhat confusing.

I dont know homeworld complex. I reckon these remakes are simpler because no ten years of fanatical adding and modding lol.

Tried one little mod yesterday, some insignias. I then compstomped a hiigaran ai with a darkgrey/darkred vaygr with red stars for markings. It looked awesome. Evil space commies are blowing up your harvesters, bitch!

Went back to the mission before Diamond Shoals and stocked up on Assault and Support Frigates. Made getting past the asteroids a lot easier. I probably only destroyed about half the asteroids, instead I focussed on healing the mothership as it got bombarded.

Knowing what was coming on the next mission I built 3 drone Frigates and it was a cakewalk.

There’s a bug/crash fix patch out now for the RM versions. About 450MB download.

I wonder what this is exactly, stupid Diamond Shoals!

Mission 06 – Adjusted asteroid field visuals and functionality to improve mission balance

Hey guys, I’m giving away a key for this if y’all haven’t gotten a copy already. ;)

http://www.fistsofheaven.com/gearbox-homeworld-remastered-patch/

What a cool article. I’m certainly glad to know that GB is working hard on the patch. Hopefully, we’ll see it soon.

Oh, nice. The lack of ballistics kinda bummed me out when I tried Homeworld 1 remastered. Glad to hear that they’re apparently fixing it. Not sure if they’re adding it to Homeworld 2 too since it didn’t have that.

From what I have read and the RM version, any changes to one are made to the other.

That web design made my eyes bleed.

-Todd

Still nothing on Cataclysm. Sigh.

The only two ways that happens are if the source code is conjured up out of thin air or Gearbox decides to remake the entire game from scratch. Unfortunately, the likelihood of either is infinitesimally small.

I know, but these guys really were pushing this as big news, so that’s kinda what I was hoping for.

Patch notes from yesterday: https://gearboxsoftware.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/205281840-Homeworld-Remastered-Collection-Update-Information

Also, this is on-sale for 50% on GoG!