Gears of War Ultimate Edition

Yeah, this, I think, is why the Uncharted collection is single player only.

Microsoft has said all their first party titles will be BC, except those using kinect and have multi-discs (until multi-discs are supported). Besides, BC is not going to be generally available until at least October, and this version will be relased in August.

Also, those of you thinking Gears 1 looks better or just as good are insane. I tried it on my 360 this weekend and it’s doesn’t look that good anymore with its low resolution (everything looks smeary) and lack of any colors, especially compared to Gears 3 which still looks pretty great.

And there are some improvements besides textures and higher resolution:

1. 60fps: the beta felt really good, and it definitely looks better in motion than the images above
  2. Dedicated servers: gears 1 mp (like gears 2) was a laggy mess
  3. More content: The console version gets 5 extra campaign missions and some maps (from the PC version), and both versions gets 3 new mp modes

So, as a Gears fan, I’ll definitely buy it even if it is available through BC at launch. Of course, getting access to the Gears 4 beta also helps.

Edit: Btw, the main reason for why it’s “expensive” ($40) is probably because not only did they remake the graphics, as in creating new models and textures, but they also redid all the cut-scenes with new motion captures. So the work done for this is more in line with the Halo Anniversary edition on the 360 than, say, the new $25 DMC 4 HD version.

I haven’t really followed the Gears of War series. Are they good single-player games, or do people buy them mainly for multiplayer a la recent CoD games?

Well, the campaigns pretty much set the standard for third-person cover based co-op shooters. If that’s good depends on if you like that sort of thing.

I just tried playing the original Gears 1 with bots and couldn’t find any options to add them, so are you sure it actually had any bots? I tried Gears 2 as well, and that one definitely had them.

I think you’re right Brakara. Gears 2 added bots. They weren’t there in the original. Gears 2 also added Horde mode, which wasn’t there in the original. Aaaah, Horde mode. I still get a smile on my face just thinking about it.

Hmm. My recollection must be off. I thought Gears 1 had bots.

I know Gears 2 and 3 did. I loved the bots in those.

Like I said, Gears 3 was my jam. Give me a newer version of Gears 3 on PC with the bots, MP, Horde mode, and the RAAM’s Shadow stuff. Heaven!

Gears 3 is my favorite too, but I doubt we’ll see a remake soon. There’s this in a couple of months, then Gears 4 next year, so maybe we’ll get a Marcus Fenix collection in 2017 or 2018, the latter which will be the 10 year anniversary for Gears 2.

The first one is really dull, in my opinion, even in coop. It’s been the archetype for cover shooters ever since, but it is an endless series of spaces full of unrealistic waist-high cover fighting protracted battles against boring bullet-spongey enemies with a bunch of very generic guns, with the most original feature of the weaponry being that the basic assault rifle has a chainsaw grafted onto it. Or anyway, that’s the basic formula for at least six or seven levels, which is as far as my patience extended.

The second one takes that basic formula but provides substantially more variety in weapons, enemy types, and particularly encounters. The one that stands out in my mind is the one where the waist high cover is actually a living creature moving around the battlefield, but there’s plenty of others. I still find the combat annoyingly sluggish and protracted, but that’s cover shooters for you for the most part. I have no idea if I would have stuck with it for singleplayer but as a coop experience it’s fairly great.

Never got around to 3.

Pretty much echoes my sentiment, the first one seems like an odd one to remake. 2nd had Horde mode, which was great fun, 3rd had 4 player co-op campaign, which made it fun, and I think it got rid of all the stupid parts where you split the party, which always sucked. I can’t remember how many times we ended a co-op session in frustration after hitting one of those parts in the first game.

The one gears I might consider for PC would be 3 with the MP modes + Coop.
The video on 360/One comparison made it look worse in parts, or as not much of an upgrade. Cant remember it looked that bad back on the 360 tbh, but then again, it is 9 years old game.

Overall, I think the new stuff looks better. It’s just that the bad stuff (like that ocean view I posted earlier) look really terrible.

The one complaint a lot of Gears purists seem to have is the brighter lighting throughout the new version. They like the darker look.

But yeah, Gears 3 is my personal fave.

I think out of all the campaigns, I liked the first game best. I just don’t particularly want to go back and play it again. Of course, when you throw in all the cool multiplayer options the sequels added, they were probably better overall packages.

That ocean shot is really strange and doesn’t seem consistent with the other improvements. Could it just be glitched right now?

Btw, Gears 3 is one of the 360 games with gold for July:

Everyone with an Xbox One should add it to their collections on the off chance that MS gets it working with the BC program.

Off chance? According to the Phil Spencer interview on IGN, they intend to bring all of their first-party games to the BC program (if possible, i.e. no kinect games and no multi-discs games until they make that work). And since Gears 3 is a single disc game already available digitally, I fully expect to see it sooner rather than later, and especially since it’s on the top 10 most voted list as well.

https://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/298503-backwards-compatibility

Gears of War: Ultimate Edition Standard - $40. Comes with pre-order bonus Adam Fenix multiplayer skin and bonus Civilian Anya and Animated Imulsion Weapon Skin for use in multiplayer matches.

Gears of War: Ultimate Edition Deluxe - $60. Includes the base game, Deluxe Weapon Skin Pack which is comprised of 10 different Animated Weapon Skins and 36 standard Weapon Skins as well as Civilian Marcus Fenix, Aaron Griffin multiplayer characters, pre-order bonus Adam Fenix multiplayer character, Anya Stroud bonus multiplayer character, and bonus Animated Imulsion weapon skin. $20 more for a bunch of cosmetic skins!

Remastered opening: https://youtu.be/qODC-rxITUc

Well that just looked more or less like the “Mad World” commercial without the “Mad World”. I didn’t try out the beta, was it any good?

It’s nothing like the Mad World commercial, but a remaster of the original opening cinematic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GOU2HOU3w8

And the beta was good. Well, if you liked the original Gears’ mp (it’s as expected more like Gears 1 than the other Gears games).

The bit with Marcus with his back to the wall shooting at oncoming hordes of lokust reminded me of the Mad World commercial, but I was going off memory it’s true. I am not much of a fan of Gears MP unless it’s Horde mode, which was pretty fun.