Gears Tactics - XCOM Gears of War

If you’re not playing on the harder levels then there’s no need to min-max the recruits. I’m just at the beginning of chapter 3 and have a level 6 heavy who’s been there from the very early days, and a level 4 sniper from the first chapter who I seem to have spec’d better than the hero sniper. Very happy to keep them on the team. Most of the rest don’t get enough outings to develop though, so I do feel that this part of the game does seem more than a little bit of an afterthought.

You should have respec coins to fix the Hero sniper.

I do, but I’m only playing on standard difficulty so happy to live with it.

I’ve heard in the next gen version when you press 1 to fire, it’ll start up an FPS section like the classic Gears games :)

This strikes me as the ideal candidate for a sequel - a game whose core is rock solid, but could obviously take some lessons from what worked and didn’t work, and apply it to another iteration.

I think the gameplay in Gears Tactics is great, and a tremendous translation of the series. They just need to build out more interesting and varied stuff around that.

I think I’m just tired of the genre - microing multiple people into cover isn’t that interesting any more. (Let alone individually fitting new rifle stocks for each soldier myself) I think in the XComs there was a little more sense of discovering an area, but in this the setting all seems much the same.

I wouldn’t mind if the Gearsiverse went away in the upcoming generation. There’s lot of talent underneath it, but the World of the Cog… not one I need to return to personally.

I still wish more games in all genres had me on a team but only controlling my one character. from turn based tactics, to party based rpgs.

ARMA has you covered :)

Patch notes:

Gameplay

• Fixed an issue where units can’t be selected, most notably seen in Act 1 Chapter 6.

• Fixed game turn getting stuck when using the Vanguard Distraction ability on a Sniper Drone that is pinning the Vanguard.

• Fixed the Vanguard Breach ability re-applying the AP/Heal buff more than once.

Visuals

• Fixed an issue where characters could appear with untextured armor when editing armor in the Barracks.

• Improved image quality while using Variable Rate Shading.

• Fixed untextured parts of the Mammoth in Act 1 Mission 4.

• Fixed holes seen in the environment in the Act 1 convoy while using ultra-wide monitors.

Stability

• Fixed a crash when targeting more than 4 units in cover with a grenade.

• Fixed a few rare crashes that could occur on boot of the game.

• Fixed a rare crash that could occur on a hit reaction.

• Fixed a rare crash that could occur when a unit is killed.

• Fixed a few rare crashes that could occur in gameplay.

• Fixed a rare crash when using the narrator.

• Fixed a few rare crashes that could occur while transitioning to a loading screen.

• Fixed a crash that could occur when the user settings file is edited by external sources.

• Updated the minimum recommended driver version for GPU drivers. Drivers below this version will display a warning on boot of the game.

We know this Title Update doesn’t represent all the issues we’ve seen discussed in the community so far - rest assured, we are hard at work addressing many of the top remaining issues seen here in the Steam community.

Here are just some of the areas we are working on to address in the near future:

• Stability fixes.

• Rare cases where the game turn may not end.

• Rare cases where Xbox Live sign-in can fail.

• Act 1 Chapter 6 sometimes does not transition the objective correctly.

• Text adjustments to clarify some skill descriptions.

This has really overstayed its welcome. I wish they’d patched in an option to cut down on the number of side missions, given they’re the same as all the other missions.

Started to really notice the item upgrade system seems to be just randomly generated and not balanced. Getting items were an ‘Epic’ attachment has the exact same benefit as ‘rare’ level one which doesn’t make much sense.

It was so much effort clunking through that UI that I pretty much went to war with the army I had :/

No difference at all? Like if you get extra movement on an item, it would be +.5 common, +1 for rare and 1.5 for epic.

I’ve yet to see any with no difference. They sometimes hide the difference a bit though. Like the main stats section will appear to be the same, but in the bottom right you’ll notice that accuracy is +15 instead of +10.

Ok guess I didn’t look close enough. The two barrels both had the same ability bonus chance but the Epic was 15% vs 10% for the rare. Still a pretty minimal improvement. Would expect something more. Makes the game feel like Diablo where its a constant tiny upgrades vs something that really feels different.

Yeah, no argument, but if they been identical it would have been a bug.

Beat the Brumak last night, had some real trouble with that fight. It was clear what needed to happen and how to beat the thing, but I never really had a good feel for how to ‘pull’ or control where I wanted him to be, though the game seemed to indicate this was possible - I could fire at the tanks on its bank and it would turn toward the shooter, which I thought would mean it would move toward attacking the shooter, but it seemed that mostly who it attacked was kind of random. But anyway, that’s done, I can move on with the game now.

Maybe I’m wrong, but I seem to remember it attacked the closest unit, regardless of the direction it was facing.

That definitely seemed to be the case after I destroyed its arm guns and it was left with stomping as a main attack.

I’ve gotten a good deal further into the game, several chapters into the third act. I know I am well behind most other folks who finished the game some time ago, but this one took a while to really grab me. I enjoyed the second boss more than the first one, I had a much better grasp on what was going on and what needed to happen. But man, the worst kind of mission has got to be the Control side mission where they limit you to two characters. You can’t send both characters to one control point because the other will be destroyed before you can get all you need - but you can’t realistically hold two points with one character on each. Especially not when they’re throwing lots of boomers at you. So at some point you have to beat a tactical retreat and regroup around one, hopefully squeak out a win. At least those don’t seem to come up very often.