Gen Con 2017 - anyone going

It’s August 17-20 in Indianapolis. Is anyone going? I’m thinking about it, though I suspect all the hotels are booked. I’d have to look for something 20-30 miles out of town probably. One of my sons is now into pen and paper gaming, so it could be a nice father-son roadtrip. Or maybe I would fly solo. It’s about four hours from St. Louis so it’s an easy drive.

It’s gotten so big that they are using the Colts stadium for most of the pickup gaming. Yes, you might be able to play Blood Bowl on the field that Peyton Manning played on.

(An aside – my original title “Gen Con 2017” got rejected for not being 15 characters? Really? C’mon, Discourse. That’s kind of dumb.)

I’ve never gone to Gen Con, but have always wanted to considering it is the best and biggest convention within 1000 miles of here. You’d think Chicago gets better repped on the convention circuit than it really does.

I’m hoping that, in a few years when my son is older, we could make a trip.

However I’m always thinking of ways to pull it off, so perhaps in the intervening time I can come up with something ;)

I went to GenCon every year for a good long time, from back when it was in Milwaukee through the move to Indy. Stopped about 5 years ago, though, because it just got so huge. Hard to find hotel space, parking, get a chance to demo games in the dealer room, get into events, etc. Edit: That reads more negative than I intended. It’s definitely worth experiencing GenCon once, crowds and all! I just found that after multiple years, I was ready for something smaller.

Lately I’ve been doing Origins in Columbus instead, much smaller population. You don’t get the really big events like True Dungeon, but since I wasn’t getting into those anyway I don’t miss 'em. Not sure if my group is going there this year or not, we’ve talked about it but no firm plans yet.

Me, my fiancée, my brother, and his wife are going. Looking forward to it!

Yeah, it’s been growing a ton. Twice as many people last year as in 2010. A few years ago I graphed annual unique attendance since the move to Indy, and the trendline showed ~100,000 people by 2021 :) I’m reasonably sure that can’t/won’t actually happen, but the crowds are enormous enough now.

I’m not that far, so I’ll likely be going for a day. My gaming group hates planning, though, and we always end up deciding at the last minute if and when to go.

I’ll be there with a small chunk of my gaming group, hoping to play and run a bunch of sessions of tabletop RPGs. If I just wanna run some random homegrown one shots in popular systems, is there a way to do that? I have no interest in running Pathfinder Society or whatever. Just my own weird shit!

Hell, if we wanna do a QT3 meet up one day, I’ll run something cool for y’all

There are always people running every gaming system under the sun, in just about every flavor you can imagine. If you don’t want to bother going through the event system you can probably find a free table somewhere out of the way (there’s always some of those, no matter how crowded it gets) and do whatever with your own group. You should be able to register your own stuff as an actual event, too, if you’d rather go that route so it’s possible other random folks will sign up.

Geez, now you’re tempting me to go after all. Crowded or not, if there’s enough QT3 mass it would be worth a day or two just to meet and game with you folks!

Went to a few back in the days at the magazine. Highlight might have been one in Milwaukee with Gygax leading the parade in his wizard’s garb, and then interviewing him afterwards. Low point may have been the smell. Seriously, they had to give out hygiene packs and instructions about bathing and stuff to the attendees.

I have gone for many years (10+) with my son; started when he was 5 or 6. I had a family member bring him down from Chicago on Saturday the first couple years, then all 4 days. Started bringing a friend of his along so they could do some stuff on their own. They really enjoy it!

It has gotten bigger and harder to get into popular events, but there is still plenty to do. We usually do demo games on Thursday and Sunday and events the other days. If you are interested in certain events then pre-register early.

Man, I kind of really want to go now.

Me too. No way in hell I can make that happen, but I’d like to hang with you guys and make you explain your intricate role playing games to me while I stare in slack-jawed confusion.

+1. I’ve only really gone as a “tourist,” and we still have fun just wandering around, sitting in on demos, seeing what’s on offer in the vendor hall, etc. We typically aim for a handful of specific events, but mainly we’re just following our noses.

A non-gaming buddy of mine used to take his kids up (their idea), and he’d have a great time people-watching while his kids explored their new-found tribe.

The one thing I haven’t figured out is food. I really want to incorporate a picnic lunch in the outfield at an Indians game, but I’ve not yet been able to put all the pieces together.

I will have to ask my gaming group if they want to go. I feel like we should go. next year maybe? If things are all sold out?

Getting into the show is easy. Getting a hotel downtown is impossible. If you are willing to book something out a ways and uber/taxi/rent a car you’ll be fine.

I’d offer a carpool from whatever bumfuck nowhere hotel we’re staying at, but I’m on DD duty for a passel of friends who have informed me they plan to be extremely drunk ;-)

Gencon has been on my bucket list forever. Like for the last 20 years I’ve been saying “I should do this someday” but I’ve never put the trip together.

Is it too late to seriously plan a trip for this year and get bookings and so forth or should I wait for 2018?

There seem to be a lot of little hotels on the interstate into Indianapolis. A lot of them look like sets from a horror movie, but the prices they have on their broken neon signs seem inviting! Really, it will be fine!

I’ll be there since I live nearby. Definitely up for some boardgaming and get-togethering.

I don’t think I will be able to go this year. I am starting a new job in 2 weeks, and I don’t think I will have the vacay to swing that.

I started going to GenCon when it moved to Indy in 2003. At only 90 minutes drive from my house, it was an easy decision to spend a Saturday checking out the con. I took my older son (12 at the time) and a good friend of mine along. We had so much fun that the 14-hour Saturday the first year turned into a 3-day weekend the next year, and every year thereafter through 2012.

When we first went in 2003, attendance was around 25,000 people and the con took up all of the Convention Center and spilled over into the adjacent hotels. By my last year of attendance in 2012, the crowd had grown to over 40,000 people and Indianapolis was busy building a huge addition to the Convention Center specifically to host GenCon and a couple of other huge events. 2016’s attendance number hit 61,000 people, which boggles my mind.

Sadly, Gencon’s ability to handle logistics has not grown as rapidly as their attendance, and that is part of why I stopped going. To have any chance at a hotel room within a reasonable distance from the con, you need to sign up for the pre-registration (purchase your 4-day passes) as early as December. Then in January or February, they do the hotel lottery thing, which has varied from just opening the floodgates and watching the servers burn down to trying to stagger the reservations system room availability to ease the burden. Nothing has worked particularly well, and in the past few years people have been pretty disappointed (or just downright pissed) with the way hotels are handled for the con. Even hotels outside the city are part of the reservation block, so finding anything within a 20 minute drive now could be difficult.

GenCon is an amazing experience though! I highly recommend it for anyone who has EVER been into pen’n’paper RPGs, board games, card games (collectible or otherwise), miniatures, dice, comics, fantasy and/or sci-fi. The people watching alone is worth the price of admission. You can also sit down and demo pretty much every game being shown off at the con, and often buy said game, sometimes at a discount, right after you play. They have a giant auction that lasts Thursday-Saturday, a costume contest on Saturday, a dance Saturday night (which is some fantastic people-watching), and a really cool kids-oriented track that has activities, games and vendors geared towards children. LARP is in effect everywhere, and True Dungeon is an experience everyone should try at least once. Lots of celebrity guests every year as well. Wil Wheaton is there pretty much every year. I ran into him one year and chatted for a short while, he was impressed I remembered he once wrote a column for CGW, so if you meet him, use that as an icebreaker! ;-)

It’s been a few years since I last did GenCon. In 2010 or so they did away with nearly all the video game publishers in the vendor hall, and that had been a big draw for me in the past. As the con got larger, space was a ta premium, and the combination of too many sweaty gamers, no more video games, not enough other booths that interested me and a serious downturn in convention swag (you used to come away with tons of nice free stuff before the recession hit in 2008) all combined to sap my interest in going. I was also pretty burned out by then, and my son had stopped going a couple years earlier when he graduated from high school. $600 for three days of waiting in lines and dealing with con funk just didn’t appeal anymore.

I kept telling myself I would go back for just a Saturday each year, but never did. This year is the 50th though, so maybe it’s the year for me to return… Now that the convention center is twice as big as it used to be it won’t be as overcrowded as those last couple of years I went. Plus with the economy doing better, maybe the swag situation will have improved. It will never go back to pre-recession levels though. In the heyday of GenCon Indy swag, I could pay for nearly my whole trip just by selling some of the swag I’d return with. Digital pet codes for MMOs, promo cards for CCGs, special commemorative con dice, promo minis, t-shirts, etc., it was a good time to be a gamer!

Oh, one last thing : For anyone who lives within a 4 hour so drive and wants to check it out…GenCon offers a special family rate for Sunday. For $45 you can get Family Fun Day badges for up to four family members. So you, your spouse and two kids (or you and three kids) can ALL get in for just $45! Get there early in the morning though, cause you’ll have to wait in line to get the badges and the dealer hall is only open from 10AM-4PM on Sunday. They do have special stuff for the kids all day Sunday though, and it’s a great and inexpensive way to see if GenCon is right for you and your kids!