GenCon 2019: Are You Ready to RPGumble?!

I was hoping for an interview with RPBryantGumble.

I mean I did bring gumbo to my regular Monday night game this summer, along with red beans, rice, and some seasoned corn. . .

“RPGourmet” is a fantastic restaurant idea.

Come for the food, stay for the game!

Looks like our group is a go! Went ahead and got my badge and everything.

I will absolutely be watching this thread for info on @ArmandoPenblade Fate Core sessions and doing my best to make it to at least one!

If anyone wants to organize some kind of QT3 meetup outside of normal gaming sessions, maybe a dinner or meet for a drink or something, keep me in the loop!

Heck yes, man! Definitely hope we can hang out and game.

It looks like my group is planning to stay through Sunday night this time around, which is a little weird, but nice. I don’t feel quite as compelled to cram my schedule knowing I can actually enjoy the Sunday morning events without feeling like I’ve got to get the heck outta Dodge.

My wife and I will be there Tuesday night (Trade day for me this year!) through Monday morning. Definitely up for some meet ups!

I feel better I read the title as “Are you ready to RPGrumble”, and the voice in my head said it:

RPG-Grumble not RPG-Rumble ;)

This Sunday is Event Registration day! @ArmandoPenblade, have your events been submitted? Do you have the titles and/or event IDs so we can look them up?

Yesindeedy!

• Legend of Eternal Fantasia: Final Tale - Chapter 0 (She Fell from the Sky) (RPG19147022)
    • Fate Core
    • Thursday 10AM (4hrs)
    • Location TBD
    • In this JRPG-inspired action-adventure, the weary patrons of the Crimson Boar Inn are all that remain of the freedom fighters who once tried to rebel against the invading Anarxos Empire who have conquered their homeland. Though most have given up hopes of ever freeing their beloved city from the Anarxians, the group is roused to action when a mysterious, magical girl plummets from the occupying airship overhead, straight through the roof of their beloved bar. Claiming to have barely escaped horrific experiments being performed above the vessel, she begs their aid. Can the Crimson Boar Irregulars find the heroism within themselves for one last mission? It’s a tall order: infiltrate the fortress-like airship, find and rescue her brother, and deliver them both to safety once more. It’s the kind of thing heroes are made of, though. Are YOU brave enough to take on the Anarxians?
  • The Haunting of Sturmfell Manor (RPG19147020)
    • Fate Core
    • Friday 3PM (4hrs)
    • Location TBD
    • Decades ago, your family was cruelly taken by the malevolent darkness that lurks beneath Sturmfell Manor; ever since, you have haunted its shadowed halls, a ghostly remnant trapped in eternal purgatory, reliving your final days over and over again. Except now. . . something has changed. A new family has purchased the old manor and moved in. Rooms are not as you remember them. And somehow, your spirit reawakens enough to realize: they are in danger. Though it drains your spiritual essence to affect the real world, you feel compelled to try to communicate with them somehow. If you cannot drive these poor souls away before the darkness stirs, they will join you in forever haunting Sturmfell Manor. This session uses room discovery mechanics similar to Betrayal at House on the Hill, on top of the base Fate Core rules.
  • The Watertown Horror Book Club’s Very Bad Night (RPG19146167)
    • Fate Core
    • Saturday 8PM (4hrs)
    • Location TBD
    • The boys and girls of the Watertown Horror Book Club love horror novels, particularly the enormously popular Bone Chillers series from famed author Errol S. Tyne. So, with the annual Scholarly Book Fair starting tomorrow and the promise of the first new BC book in three years, the club is understandably excited! But little does the membership know that the club’s officers have a special treat planned for the big Halloween Booknanza they’re hosting the night before the Fair. Why, their surprise is positively ghoulish! Of course, no one can ignore the fact that gruesome, horrific accidents have been occurring at and around Watertown Middle School Academy. Accidents that seem to be lifted from the pages of the members’ favorite Boon Chillers books! Can the club’s officers solve the mystery, save the school, and still put on an awesome Halloween party? Turn the page and find out!

I am super pumped to run these games, and would really, really love to have any of y’all join me. Getting to hang out with @Vesper for a few hours each GenCon has been a genuinely wonderful “tradition” the last couple of years <3

(And tagging in @Seppey and @Lucidvizion who’d expressed interest previously).

My group’s coming in Wednesday afternoon and staying through Monday AM, so I can possibly sneak away for a Qt3 mealtime midday or dinnertime on Sunday :)

Armando, you can write a compelling hook.

I would love to go to GenCon again but I fear it’s an absolute zoo of people now. Also, I have an EV that would never drive it so I’d have to rent a car and I ran up what is likely to be a few thousand in medical bills (still awaiting the hospital’s proclamation of financial doom via the bill I’ve yet to receive) so I don’t know if I have the cash to spare.

On the other hand, I have vacation days to use so maybe I should figure it out. It’s just a four hour drive for me. :)

Thanks! I waffled on pasting in the “short” or “long” descriptions we were allowed on the GenCon site, but opted for the latter. I’m a wordy motherfucker, after all. . .

I am of the opinion that you should definitely come out. It can be crowded, especially in the dealer hall, but honestly, the con itself is spread through so many buildings in the ICC “campus” area now that it’s not that bad, even for my friends with anxiety. I’ll keep my fingers crossed that the medical system doesn’t get you down too much, man.

You can get it going and keep it going, but you are unfailingly interesting.

I have to get going on studying the event guide. Eek!

Any recommendations of non obvious or weird events you’ve seen? Post them here!

Awesome! Put the Thursday morning session on my Wish List.

I’m not sure if I’m staying through Sunday or not, depends on what the rest of my group is doing. But I’d certainly be up for a QT3 meetup if schedule permits!

I’m arriving Tuesday (trade day on Wednesday) and leaving Monday so I’d love to do a little mini QT3 meetup!

I mean y’all are welcome to join me and 6-7 Mandofriends at Giordano’s a few blocks from the ICC after we struggle through the hellish first-day lines for badges and tickets on Wednesday evening :-D

Which reminds me of the stupidest damned thing. As an EO for a group running 9 6-player, 4-hour events, I’ve got 3 badges to disburse to myself and my GM buddies, which are held separately at the Event Organizer HQ which virtually never has a wait time.

However, for reasons beyond mortal fathoming, the pre-purchased event tickets for GMs are still held at the main ticket counters with the rest of the con’s badges and tickets, so we get to wait in that line anyway. . .

sigh

Thanks @ArmandoPenblade!.
I was looking at the events last night, and i thought i got to ask Mr. Penblade for his list.
We have never played Fate Core but are happy to learn/try it.
Probably the first one, though the 2nd sounds great. I will talk to them this weekend and see which they prefer.

I usually have the badges mailed to us ($10 extra), but since we are arriving Wednesday evening i thought i would pick them up there. Is the line long on wed. night?

The last time i picked them up there it was a 4 hour wait on Thursday morning.

The line can vary a lot. We got through in less than thirty minutes the first year on Wednesday night, but well over an hour and a half last year, same night. It wasn’t my favorite part, hah

Event registration was a fun filled HTTP error mess as always… But I got into @ArmandoPenblade’s game!