GenCon tidbit #1

So Hump, are you saying that Microsoft is at least contemplating a Shadowrun game?

Man… it’s the only IP of the past that I yearn for in a remake…

Jordan is just one of those rare visionaries; had a chance to hang out with him a bit at GenCon (and walked off with a buttload of CS stuff, gave me something like 3 of everything, I am SO stoked!)…just an amazing (and extremely nice) guy who’s not afraid to take risk. What he’s done for mini gaming in the US over the past few years is nothing short of astounding. People go on about “game gods” and such…well, Jordan is the real deal. And yeah, I’d also work with him in a heartbeat ;)

Speaking of game gods, Sid M was also at GC with his son…very incognito (as usual), just great to see him board/mini gaming and having fun.

Cheers,
S

Jordan is just one of those rare visionaries; had a chance to hang out with him a bit at GenCon (and walked off with a buttload of CS stuff, gave me something like 3 of everything, I am SO stoked!)…just an amazing (and extremely nice) guy who’s not afraid to take risk. What he’s done for mini gaming in the US over the past few years is nothing short of astounding. People go on about “game gods” and such…well, Jordan is the real deal. And yeah, I’d also work with him in a heartbeat ;)[/quote]

And an unsung one, at that. Very few people outside the industry know who he is. Renegade Legion aside, his designs in the 80s and early 90s were important; all of us designers examined his work carefully, as he and his team had a real flair for making intricate, tactical game-play fun.

I haven’t had a chance to play his latest miniatures series, but the design of them looks clean and easy to use.

Jordan is just one of those rare visionaries; had a chance to hang out with him a bit at GenCon (and walked off with a buttload of CS stuff, gave me something like 3 of everything, I am SO stoked!)…just an amazing (and extremely nice) guy who’s not afraid to take risk. What he’s done for mini gaming in the US over the past few years is nothing short of astounding. People go on about “game gods” and such…well, Jordan is the real deal. And yeah, I’d also work with him in a heartbeat ;)[/quote]

And an unsung one, at that. Very few people outside the industry know who he is. Renegade Legion aside, his designs in the 80s and early 90s were important; all of us designers examined his work carefully, as he and his team had a real flair for making intricate, tactical game-play fun.

I haven’t had a chance to play his latest miniatures series, but the design of them looks clean and easy to use.[/quote]

Yeah I also really liked his stuff in Shadowrun (and Earthdawn? Prosperi?) the mechanics made sense once you got used to it. And for a game that crams magic, guns, hacking and everything else… its pretty tight. I always thought Shadowrun, despite its far out premise, was better than stuff like Rifts or Cyberpunk. Though I am partly biased because I liked playing a mutant dwarvish detective with some shaman spells to back me up! Damn Shadowrun RULES! got me thinking that Arcanum is probably the closest to Shadowrun in recent crpg’s …

etc

Heah, I liked Shadowrun, but what game are you talking about? I remember having to roll 64 dice (re-rolling 6’s) to figure out how many bullets hit out of a single burst from my SMG. It sure didn’t seem tight then. There were so many house rules and simplifications we had to adopt just so we could play out a small skirmish in less than a couple of hours.

Mike

I haven’t had a chance to play his latest miniatures series, but the design of them looks clean and easy to use.[/quote]

Hey, I loved Renegade Legion: Centurion! I would have loved to see a grav tank tactical PC game.

sigh

Hey Asher, did you see the pamplets for the new Campaign setting, the same one won at the DnD “Make your own campaign” contest?

http://www.gamingreport.com/article.php?sid=9464&mode=thread&order=0

After reading that little info, it just seems like a cultural backlash and lots of crap just put in to make it look cool.

Modern/Industrial stuff mixed with trains, dinorsaurs, and flying machines? It just seems this guy just said “Lets put all this stuff in” randomly with no thought. Hey, while you are at it, lets put in machineguns. Drow again? Yeesh.

I don’t necessary hate the campaign because it takes place in a higher technological area (hell, I love it. My campaign does this). Its just when you slap things like dinosaurs mixed with big modern cities, it really makes the setting look unrealistic and dumb. Too much backlash.

I just hope they don’t put beatboxing drows and hip-hop halfings.

Sounds like a pretty typical steampunk setting (with dinosaurs?). Given the number of entries they had in that contest (including two from yours truly), I expected the winning entry to be a bit more dazzling.

Hey–did any of you folks that went to GenCon happen to see the 15th anniversary edition of Arkham Horror in action? It was supposed to be at the show. Just curious.

Didn’t see the new D&D setting or the Arkham game, but they weren’t on my radar. Anything I saw that wasn’t computer game-related was just serendipity. I did look at a lot of the other stuff, but it’s a bit hard for me to put it into context since I don’t play any of it.

I thought steampunk at first, too, but after thinking about it and remembering what the lucky bast^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H open call winner said at the presentation, I think it’s going to be more D&D pulp fiction than steampunk. Think Verne, Conan Doyle’s Lost World, E.E. ‘Doc’ Smith, The Shadow, , Burrough’s Tarzan and Mars series, Indiana Jones, and the like. The quotes about the post-war setting in the handout they had give me the feeling that it’s going to have a post WWI feel to it. A lot of the artwork had a lost-world explorer feel to it.

The thing the handout reminds me the most of is the sketchbook in the back of Philip Jose Farmer’s The Dungeon series, which was not written by Farmer, nor did it involve a Dungeon, except metaphorically. I think it’s the British explorer tone of the writing mixed with the weird setting and the pencil tonal drawings.

As long as they throw in a Tailspin cargo-cult region in the setting, I’ll check it out. But it better be really pulpy. And have airships! We like dirigibles, we like zeppelins…

Theres something Shadowrun in the works. Whether its a standard PC RPG, a MMORPG or an XBox thing (or both!) I don’t know.

We’ll be finding out quite soon though…

If I had remembered it was there, I would have looked for it Ben. Damn! I did play a rough version of it last year with the Chaosium guys. Played a lot like the original. Fun stuff.