Generation Zero: Avalanche Studios, Fighting Robots in 1980s Sweden

Yeah, but can that be any worse than someone’s computer constantly crashing with no solution? And then having to snuff out the answer which may or may not be right because the info is user unfriendly? And then screwing your system up because of that? I can’t see how giving people more info can be worse than the situation now. Given all the forums I’ve gone to trying to research crashes through the years, it’s not all that uncommon. Hard to believe that the info is so hidden and opaque.

Oh, I agree with you. I’m just trying to think like a suit :).

And thats a source of support that is dying out as well. Pretty soon, you won’t even find infos there as everything will have moved to discord or just vanished entirely, so you’re even more screwed. All you’ll find when googling will be some SEO results trying to sell you a new PC!

I hate Discord with a passion. And yes, I’ve seen this too. I really wish companies would not just dump all their eggs in one crappy basket.

So I was watching some videos about this game that came across my feed, and it looked pretty fun, so I picked up the game and all but one DLC for $40 in a sale a few months ago. After finishing Starfield, I was looking at my backlog and decided to give this ago. And this is great fun! Basically, you are in post apocalyptic Sweden (or at least part of it, I’m not sure how much of the country is impacted) that has been invaded by killer robots. The game was rated mediocre when it came out, as it was pretty bare bones, but over several years, the developers have added a lot of stuff:

1. They’ve enhanced the story by adding a handful of NPC survivors (the original had no other humans) and by adding a number of devastated settlements/outposts
  2. They have added “rivals” - basically if you are successful in a region, that region can spawn a powerful boss who continues to level up as you gain success.
  3. They have added base assaults, base building, and base defense. The robots will build bases over time,and you can take them out and build your own bases.
  4. They’ve added augmentations (think perks) that you can add to your weapons
  5. Just recently they’ve added a robot “runner” (dog) companion who will carry stuff and fight with you. You can customize it with weapons/armor.

The game reminds me a lot of Terminator Resistance - you are fighting robots in a PA world, with light RPG, weapon modding and crafting elements. I love the robots - there are a number of different types and they all act and sound differently. That aspect is great, as you learn to identify the robots by sound, as you usually hear them before you see them. They really remind me a lot of wild animals as they roam, and " howl" and make all sorts of cries and calls. And if you get their attention, they are very persistent and will often seek to hunt you down unless you can quickly break contact.

Anyway, I’m really enjoying the game. It’s a AA game but for me, it gets the job done, and it’s been a blast.

Did you manage to solve all the crashing you were having last year?

I may have to give this another go. I found it interesting, if a bit bland, when it was new, and combat balance was way off. The robots weren’t terribly exciting as enemies, loot was pathetic, and difficulty tended to spike nastily. But the foundation was there for sure.

Well, the basic game loop hasn’t changed, it still may not satisfy you. But for whatever reason, it works for me. I’m level 13 and haven’t seen any difficulty spike yet. I’ll be watching for that.

Another thing I like is that they give you a lot of different tools to deal with the robots. My most satisfying moment was setting a radio by a gas canister, and the shooting the gas canister with a sniper rifle and taking out eight runners who were attracted to the radio at one time in the explosion :). And using toy dog bombs that bark to attract robots never gets old either.

I liked the game loop, it was the lack of finesse and polish that was wearying. But after this much time it looks like it might be a lot more refined.

I found the lack of ammo to be wearying. Seriously, you make a game about fighting robots, leave some of it here and there.

I think that was a problem in the older version of the game (as I think I read that somewhere), but I can assure you that it is not a problem now. I had plenty of ammo, though sometimes I needed to switch out weapons to allow more to accumulate for a particular weapon. In addition, you can craft ammo. It’s just not a problem now though.

I guess you are replying to @marxeil? I can’t recall ammo being a big issue.

Yeah, my son and I have played this a decent amount multiplayer (which is a lot of fun by the way) and ammo has not been an issue.

I’ll second pizzaddict’s point – I didn’t find the game terribly compelling after a half dozen hours of single player, but it was definitely my favorite co-op experience of 2023.

I know last few days I’m just piping in after a while but … this game sort compels me a bit. I did sp for awhile and ran through hundred of Norwegian (Sweeden?) empty houses looking for loot but is there ultimately a story that sort tells you why these freaking robots are attacking this place? If so just say yes.

Durn ol robots are kinda scarey and hard to kill…

Yes, there is a story and part of the game is uncovering the mystery.

Yeah, sorry, didn’t quite get that quote right, my bad.

Are those changes in the base game or I need the dlc? I wouldn’t mind giving this another go with my son, but I don’t feel like buying the dlc even once.

I guess I need to try the game again on the next free preview weekend. Back when I played, the player had no ammo.