Generation Zero: Avalanche Studios, Fighting Robots in 1980s Sweden

Aren’t there something like rent-a-kid centers all over the place where you can pick them up for a day or two and give them chores–like shovelling the driveway or being player 2–before you return them?

Posted at the end of last month:

https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/704270/view/1815453883038779680

I like Rage 2 and Just Cause 4 so much I’m tempted to pick this up…

I saw a recent stream with the updates the studio has added and picked it up on sale from GMG. So far, it’s a pretty fun experience, although I wonder how much legs it now has even with the crafting, etc…

FYI, Avalanche has multiple studios of varying quality.

I strongly recommend waiting for a deep discount, bundle, or demo. After trying it, I told my friends this:

Generation Zero makes an awful first impression: soupy performance & aiming, bad inventory UI, buggy keybinds (I have to jump in order to sprint or un-crouch), and it crashed. I’m thankful for the free weekend, just un-wishlisted it.

Two of my kids have been enjoying Gen Zero on Xbox. I agree it doesn’t make a good first impression. It is a little clunky. That said, shooting robots, the tension of exploration, and the loot makes up for a lot. Like with many games it’s most fun co-op.

I think Generation Zero is pretty great.

I ended up playing a ton of this. It’s really scarey. Fact is I think I stopped playing because of the robot scariness. Btw notice the “War of the Worlds” british TV series with Gabriel byrne --and these robots. I am not sure how they are connected.

Yep - seeing what shape the game was in vs. release, this has been a nice revelation.

It’s the DOGS. Same feeling.

Dan howd Cleveland do? Nvm … Ill holler in the appropriate thread. Vikes looked good!

Gen zero almost cries out for a multiplayer partner. I played it solo for around the 30 hour mark. I played with JM a bit co-op. This is one of those janky crazy open world games. But wow the robots are super scarey to me.

One frustration playing co-op is that only the host’s progress is saved. Your co-op buddies are just along for the ride in your game. Guests do get to keep their loot, but quests and more significantly safe houses do not unlock in their own games. I can understand some of the problems with quest completion in these scenarios, but the safe houses is annoying.

This is free to play on Steam for a bit. So far it reminds me of Sir You are Being Hunted…

Ah nice, guess I’ll give it a go tonight.

Played it for a bit earlier. Enjoy the pace and atmosphere for the most part. Though I can see where the cut/paste building might get old (assuming this is a valid complaint). But being sniped from across the fucking map gets old fast. It’s cool that the robots are lethal but I even looked up the first place to upgrade your weapons (not rally a spoiler as it’s the most obvious place to go right from they beginning) and still can’t get there with my apparent pellet gun of a pistol. I’ll prob try again later but I’m not sure it’s gonna be for me.

Hmm made it to a farm, so far I am really liking this. Might pick it up before the sale ends. But its also been out awhile, and seems like it would make a great game for a Humble Monthly.

FYI all, tractors seem to explode very easily.

I tried it and I think it’s very neat, but I couldn’t convince my buddy, and I’m skeptical of its single-player potential.

The lack of a 2nd person does indeed make the game harder, as there is no one to distract enemies.

You just reminded me of my latest XCOM Chimera game. The cars in that game seem to be constructed from dynamite.

It does make using all the noise equipment you find absolutely necessary.

I think if the game had a bit more variety of content, a heavier emphasis on narrative, and was actually designed to be played solo first and foremost, I’d be all over it. As it is, it just feels a little too stretched thin and a little too unfriendly to the solo player. But I’ll probably keep an eye out to see if they’ve changed any of the above. (or if anyone I know decides they’d like to do coop.)