Genshin Impact - Anime Gacha or F2P Breath of the Wild?

It’s not about who is the better healer or more versatile or whatever. It’s about having a team of nothing but smol-sized adventurers. We’ve got to have priorities.

For anyone that still has an interest, v2.0 just dropped this week. It brings the long-awaiting third nation, Inazuma and its ruling electro archon, Baal.

And the first cross-over character, from… Horizon Dawn?! Yep. Aloy. Free to everyone.

https://www.hoyolab.com/genshin/article/588087

Ah cool more actual world stuff to do

Inazuma is pretty good so far. The “puzzles” are a bit more interesting than those in Mondstadt and Liyue, and I rather enjoy zipping around in via the Thunder spheres. Also liked that they mostly replaced Seelies with faster uh, Electro orb things that mostly do the same thing, but doesn’t take forever to reach their destinations.

Crossover also comes with a free 4* weapon - and its ability only works if you’re playing on PS4/PS5. (that’ll go over well) Guess we should be glad Aloy herself isn’t gated the same way.

Psh. I still have a ton of world quests, chests, puzzles, etc. to do in Mondstadt and Liyue. Not to mention getting caught up on the archon quest (which I guess I need to jump on so I can unlock Inazuma and the new events). Yeah, I’m slow and super-casual - don’t even have a single character or weapon max level!

Genshin just about hit (or did it already?) its one year anniversary, traditionally a time when gacha game companies give out some free stuff, free love. Well the fans found the one year freebies underwhelming, so there’s a lot of drama, review bombing, etc. I got a chuckle out of this one, had to share.

Fans are dumb, review bombing because you didn’t get enough free stuff during the 1 year anniversary… good lord.

I typically agree but at the prices they charge, some freebies on a one year anniversary isn’t much to ask for.

I guess but at the same time there is hundreds of hours of content there for free. You get the primogems pretty easily. I’ve got a bunch of 4* and 5* characters for free. Sure it’s a bummer there isn’t a huge anniversary event with a bunch of freebies, but it hardly seems worth throwing a fit over.

Now, the thing they are doing where they are censoring what people are posting on Reddit and discord isn’t cool.

I saw this news and had to ask myself: is review bombing a gacha game for failing to deliver expected (but not promised) rewards the lowest point that gamers as a group have ever reached? Have gamers ever done anything more pathetic and petulant?

Don’t you sell gamers short, Tim. I have full confidence they have achieved lower lows.

But man, check out that image. Best use of the housing system yet (which is pretty nifty btw)

I’m willing to believe it but I can’t think of anything. The funny thing is like you said it’s reasonable to feel disappointed. So surely gamers have done worse things for even flimsier reasons.

Death threats for character/faction nerfs come to mind!

There’s probably a cutoff point where it’s only a relatively small amount of gamers doing that, so it’s hard to judge the whole community for it. Not everyone is review bombing either but I think it would cross the threshold.

Fair enough, I was neglecting the gamers as a group qualifier. :) I’m sure we can come up with something, gaming communities never fail to let me down!

If you pretend this is a single player Zelda game, this game is an insane value. Even on my cellphone it’s gorgeous and plays well. I’m sure I’ll hit a wall eventually but so far there’s absolutely no reason to pay anything.

Honestly I’m not even sure what people are playing for. What do you do with a better character? It’s not really a competitive game so what’s the incentive?

Pokemon gotta collect 'em all situation and building the multiple teams necessary for Spiral Abyss are my guesses. I’m with you, though, it’s not like the various characters are necessary for anything. Of course, they’re absolutely attempting to convince people they are, as it’s inherent in the business model. They’re pulling in $160 million a month for a reason!

For myself I stopped playing a few months after release. Really enjoyed exploring the open world, really disliked everything else. :)

So Mihoyo caved. They’re parting out some currency and cosmetics (that were datamined to be part of a future paid pack) to abate fan rage.

Was the whole thing petty? Sure. But if your game is so successful and so tightly bound to monetization, you gotta keep the people happy with the illusion of “giving back”. The genshin fanbase loves to be outraged about stuff, they really should have seen this coming.

There is also a lot of ‘tradition’ from other gacha games around anniversary rewards. Lots of game are quite generous at anniversary time (which usually means lots of free pulls/summons) so there was a lot of expectation here - especially since they are one of the top money makers out there so can afford to be pretty appreciative. Should it be expected? Probably not. And those other games probably do it because they aren’t the number one gacha out there and they need to lure people in.