Ghostrunner: First Person Platformer extraordinaire

Ok, so I loved the Mirror’s Edge games, but the small genre of first person platformers is really rare. I read this review today, and this sounds amazing.

Check out this gif they have in the review:

Honestly, I’ve never gone from never having heard of a game to being excited to play it this fast before.

you had me at mirror’s edge…

launches tomorrow(10/27) and is 20% off on steam right now(~$24).

Looks like instant 🤮 to me.

Tried the demo last night and I was really impressed.

Out soon!! Looks great and can’t wait to get back into a Cyberpunk world.

Eurogamer Recommends it.

Bought this. Died about 956 times during the tutorial. Refunded it. I am apparently a n00b with no skills. Not for me.

Yeah, I was really interested in this based on theme and dev-stated inspirations of Titanfall 2 wallrunning (and perhaps Mirrors Edge).

Then I started seeing reviews mention the insane number of deaths. RPS noted:

Elite cyber ninja? I died 1423 times in Ghostrunner. Over a seven hour campaign that roughly works out at three deaths a minute.

No thanks. Not right now. I am not interested in that punishing of a game in this week of high pre-election anxiety. Maybe at a different time, but I don’t feel in any rush.

To be particular, it sounds like many modern platformers where the punishment is minimal because you restart quickly at a reasonable checkpoint. It still sounds pretty rough though.

There’s a demo on Steam so you can at least check it out to see if the difficulty is too much. It’s weird, I hate ultra-difficulty in Souls-likes or bullet hell shooters, but I’m fine with it in something like Trials. I suspect this will play closer to the latter, but it really needs to have instant restart if so.

This sounds like difficulty in the speed running sense, which requires dexterity I’m pretty sure I no longer have.

Yeah, I tried the demo and it also wasn’t for me. Too fast, not nimble enough anymore. Titanfall 2 I can handle, this was too much.

I’m sure I’d get better with practice, but dying that much at the beginning of the demo isn’t a great start. Think I’ll hold off.

By the time I got to the end of the demo I was doing pretty well staying alive. You need to use cover (quickly) and make liberal use of the slow time ability that lets you dodge bullets.

The reviews say it has instant restart.

Hmmm. I like the parkour, but I really don’t like the combat. Most of the time I have no idea why I did or did not die, and what to do to improve. I don’t know why people making these games think that what they need is more combat.

From Eurogamer’s review:

Ghostrunner is a game about the joy of movement, and I love how it never loses sight of that. You’re a cyborg ninja and your weapons are speed and agility; everything you do, and everything the game throws at you, revolves around it. There are many enemies and boss encounters and special abilities, but they all centre on the fundamental idea of momentum.

It’s a relief. I worried Ghostrunner would do a Mirror’s Edge and get bogged down in combat, but it doesn’t. Polish developer One More Level understood why the Ghostrunner demo worked earlier this year, and stuck with it. Do one thing and do it well.

That makes me hopeful, but obviously I need to try it for myself.

I decided to give the demo another shot and made it through the first level with only a couple deaths. I think I was a bit hungover the first time I tried it. So the moral of the story is not to play while impaired.

I’m going for it.

I died 29 times in each of the two demo levels :)

I died dozens of times and didn’t even know there was more than one level.