Give me some XMAS Gift Advice.

So I was wondering about a few items for XMas gifts this year and thought the hivemind might be able to help me some. Basically on two items of I was things of.

1. I am considering getting my oldest daughter a refurbished/rebuilt XBox 360. She would probably only use it to watch movies and to play Skyrim, she is addicted to Skyrim. Buying her a new XBox of any kind would seem like overkill. So, am I buying someone else’s problem with a refurbished one? What should they cost? Do they come with a warranty?

2. What is the word on Air Fryers? Do they work? What do they work best on and would anyone recommend a brand?

They are basically tiny, self-contained convection ovens with a basket rather than a tray for food. They get pretty toasty pretty fast and hit food from most sides well and evenly, so they’re generally good in all the same ways that convection ovens are good, but, well, tiny.

That said, IMO, a good air fryer probably replaces about 75% of the use cases for a standard cheapo toaster oven with similar or better results.

Then again, a really good convection-based toaster oven might replace 95% of the use cases for an air fryer. . . and probably costs less :-/

I heard good things about Philips line of AFs when I was looking into them a couple of years ago, but in general, I’d just trust Wirecutter, who do agree that they are still top-notch. . . but that a convection toaster oven would be better for most people.

I personally don’t buy refurb. Others will no doubt disagree.

I would look into the Breville Smart Oven Air, which has an air frying function. I don’t have that model, but have had two others in that line (one which my son now has) and both have been great.

I buy lots of refurb stuff, but would never buy a refurb 360.

A million times this. RROD is a thing, and the horror stories associated with 360 refurbs are aplenty.

@Scuzz - I’m guessing Steam isn’t an option, then?

I am looking for something she can just put in her room. She has owned computers but a penchant for downloading things that shouldn’t be downloaded (movies, music) usually leads to terrible virus problems for her. So a console is a better option.

But thanks everyone for the info on refurbs, I had never dealt with one and I knew a place in town that sells.

Also, with Air Fryers, it doesn’t sound like much of an option to making things like French fries.

I mean honestly, things like frozen fries and cheese sticks are sort of the air fryer’s claim to fame…

…but ditto for a good convection toaster oven! Hah

This is a better option if she plans on doing non-frying options. Word on the street though that air fryers will have plenty of sales this holiday season, and probably be found… everywhere.

There is also rumor that the cheapy Xbox one will be under 200 dollars and maybe even have some bonuses (non-bundle). Are you thinking 360 to hit around the 100 dollar or less mark?

Scuzz, give me a day or two to check. I may have one I’d gift to you for just shipping, though it would need some controller batteries, etc. I had 3 total, one RROD’d and of the two left, only one is still hooked up. I’ll even throw in a few games I have double copies of, and a Skyrim strategy guide. At least that way, you could use any extra money to spread between the kids for other gifts.

If I forget about this, as I’m prone to do, drop me a PM to remind me prior to the weekend.

If you want to keep her addicted to Skyrim but have a modern console to play it on that allows her to play at home and on the go, get a Nintendo Switch and Skyrim for Switch. I think she will find a lot more games that pique her interest and you get the added bonus of it being portable.

Family fun is only a copy of Mario Party away at that point, too. Definitely consider it. It would not be a movie player, though.