Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery - Daniel Craig's got another whodunnit

I think the last one is because he’s a schmuck. He valued it as a thing he could possess that meant something of importance to someone else.

It’s like why do serial killers keep items from their victims? It’s a trophy.

The part I found unbelievable was when the friends discovered he murdered Andie and meathead and shot at Andie’s sister yet were still “meh?” when clearly they were now in danger as well. Their whole relationship with him at this point was that he seemingly had something over them. Now they both had something serious over him, and also, literally their lives were threatened by him - after all they were now in effect in the same position as meathead just was. It felt a bit too “filmic” imo.

Each are individually told stories and you can watch each independently of one another. There is a tiny reference to Knives Out in Glass Onion. That being said, you should watch both, because they’re both awesome.

— Alan

At least two of us have commented on it, and you make three. The comedic timing of his Twitter purchase could not have been more perfect.

I thought the guitar thing was him making a joke, doesn’t he say something like “I had you going for a second” to Birdie as he drops it?

Re: Bron’s next-level douchiness, this is probably my favourite:

I liked it in the corp office when Andie was shooting down his energy investment plan. Bron was wearing a black turtleneck, and she told him it was time to leave the reality distortion field.

This was our Christmas Eve movie watch. Everyone had a great time. I enjoyed it a lot, even if I think the first one was the better movie. While I enjoyed the topicality, I wonder how it will hold up.

And yeah, the Norton as genius idiot felt on the nose and a bit like also low hanging fruit.

I liked how the hydrogen powered hotel complex blew up at the end. It was a neat gift for the real Daniel Craig fans, who would recognize it as a reference to the hydrogen powered hotel blowing up at the end of Quantum of Solace or the oil-and-gas powered complex blowing up at the end of Spectre.

Also seconding the comment above, that it was weird how all of a sudden everyone stopped worrying about the gun that the murderer had just used to kill someone. I would be very worried about the gun! Like the gun is way more important than all the other stuff going on there.

I couldn’t stop thinking about that either, waiting for it to appear the entire final 15-20 minutes.

When “Andi” threw the fuel crystal and everything went kablooey who else was thinking “This is not meth”?

Just me?

Alrighty, then.

It’s hard to think of more ubiquitous events. The last one on par with the pandemic was probably the moon landing.

And, of course, stupid rich people are evergreen.

I watched it this weekend, and had a great time. I’ve watched and read a lot of mysteries, and from the top of my head I can’t recall any other one where the reveal is a character (in this case, that the main character is an idiot). That was immensely satisfying, both from a character perspective and a mystery fan.

You guys are making me nervous with these comments about topical humor. Political-media in-jokes make me cringe right out of my skin. Is it really that bad? Otherwise I’m pretty excited to watch this. Never saw the first one.

I’m very tempted to rent the first one now that I loved this one. On the other hand, surely the success of this one will mean that some streaming service will want to gobble up the rights to the first one again soon?

There are references to some life-during-2020 pandemic things. There are no explicit references to any specific political figures. There’s a bunch of online culture and Silicon Valley stuff, because several of the characters are influencers and Silicon Valley types.

What everyone is talking about in terms of Glass Onion being timely, though, isn’t actually any direct reference to real-world-events. Rather, Rian Johnson was able to look at the way the world was heading back when he was writing the script in 2020 and come up with a fictional character and situations that, as it turns out, predicted what’s going on right now in late 2022. (Great interview with Johnson where he explains that, and also why Glass Onion is broader than Knives Out.)

To be clear for folks reading this and wondering where they can see the first one, you can rent Knives Out online for four bucks from the usual places. So it’s not hard to find (like Sleuth in decent resolution is) or premium priced. But it’s not “free.”

Yeah, its not like they threw a bunch of politics in a blender. Its actually not really political at all unless you’re one of those who view everything through a political lens.

Okay thanks, that makes me feel better. We’ll try to watch it this week.