Gloomhaven - Tactical Combat in a persistent world!

I was just coming to give a very big and public thank you to @TheRockSal.

No…thank you for taking it off my hands!

Empire of the Sun just arrived so I will be knee deep in that one for awhile!

I finally got this game, and I really do love it, but it’s been awhile having to setup so much pieces for a boardgame, not since Arkham Horror (still my fave even after eldritch!).

I have no issue with GH except that like most boardgames now, it has so many pieces… its almost a neccesity to have an app to accompany them (the descent and mansions of madness apps are almost defacto neccesary!).

btw, i took a abreak from boardgames for a couple years… whats like another dungeon romp game thats playable solo that has good combat. doesnt need to have a DEEP campaign just good progression of character. sword sorcery? kingdom death monster? too many bones? wtf so many games these days… so little time. oops maybe should move to board game talk.

It’s easy enough to set up and manage if you have a dedicated gaming table for it. Then you just need a couple of racks for tokens and cards, and maybe one end of the table for various other mapboard components like obstructions and doorways and so on. Per scenario only takes 5 minutes to configure or break down.

But I imagine that if you have to go from box to game every time you want to play it would be very painful indeed. I mean, it’s no Drang Nach Osten, but it’s still pretty serious.

My wife and I finished the main story a while ago and didn’t fully realize it. We didn’t always stick with a particular storyline and jumped around a bit.

I'll put some stuff in a spoiler about the state of our game.

Like I said, we didn’t even realize we finished the main storyline. We were partway done with the drake and the voice storylines. We decided to finish up the voice one and got locked out of the drake one. We then realized we only had a couple scenarios we could do and they didn’t look like they have long quest chains.

I looked where we were in the town journal. We are only prosperity level 6 (3 away from 7), so we haven’t read the town journal for prosperity level 7 yet. That ones unlocks a scenario and then the next journal entry is the final one which can be read after finishing a scenario we already finished.

So in theory we may never get through the journal even though we finished the main quest line because our prosperity is a bit low. We’ve only retired 3 or 4 characters. My guess is that if after wrapping up the last several scenarios we have access to we still don’t have prosperity level 7 then I will just give it to us instead of trying to find ways to grind it out.

Kind of disappointed the ending feels so disjointed and anti climactic.

Honestly I get more excited about opening sealed envelopes than advancing the plot. I don’t think we’ll be done until we’ve unlocked all the classes, regardless of whether we’ve finished the main story.

I also picked up the expansion the other day. Not sure how I feel about the new character; I think we may try playing 3 characters between the two of us.

I ordered the expansion since it seems like we are wrapping things up in the base game. It should be cool how they changed the scenario book so they don’t reveal map info ahead of time.

Yeah, turns out there’s not much to do in the expansion until you finish the main story. We’ve still got probably ten or fifteen missions to go.

OTOH we’re really enjoying the two-mini / three-spears combo.

Yippee ki-yay!

We unlocked Angry Face tonight. Kinda interesting.

Wednesday is digital early access.

It’s out for only $25. Kinda surprised by that. I’ve got $10 sitting in my account from a Sale return. Anyone even had a chance to tinker with this yet?

Launch Trailer:

And here I thought with this group someone was going to be up all night playing to give us their first impressions! Maybe someone is cough @Scotch_Lufkin cough but it’s SOOOOO good he hasn’t stopped yet.

LOL sorry, I’m playing IWD Enhanced Edition currently and killing time until Fire Emblem drops next week.

However, I think this looks fantastic from what I saw of the stream a month back, and I have no doubt there will be lots of videos out there showing it off. It’s Early Access so I’m not in a rush to help beta test, but I’m certain I’ll pick this up pre-release all the same, later in the year when I have fewer games coming up.

I’m sorely tempted, but it’s really Early.

Yeah, I’m keeping an eye on it, but it isn’t like the campaign is available yet.

Anyone want to put together a regular group to do the campaign when it comes out?

I’m home now and loading.

Maybe @Vesper keep me in mind!

I bought this game because I’m too lazy to put up the boardgame after 5 scenarios (4-1 YAY!!)… but I heard there’s no Mindthief yet… me be sad.

eh, after 2 hours with this, kind of underwhelming. worst impulse buy! playing this game digital… kind of misses some of the ‘feel’ of the board and pieces… as much as i hate all the setup and takedown… the computerized version makes me ‘miss’ all the little stuff! will probably be worth it if they get the campaign done.

game still has the ‘charm’ of just… almost… winning…barely, 2 cards left.