Gloomhaven - Tactical Combat in a persistent world!

If you live in or near the DC area and want a copy, Labyrinth Games just showed on their facebook page that they have a couple of copies in stock right now, at MSRP.

Gloomhaven is basically A Game of Boots. I am pretty sure the two party members that haven’t been blessed with Boots of Striding are plotting to kill the two of us that have a pair each.

Has anyone tried some of the apps that are available to help with the game?

One is called Monster AI which makes it so you don’t need to be constantly shuffling the monster deck.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gloom.monika.monsterai2&hl=en

The other is the Campaign Tracker - which based on the description says it lets you manage multiple campaigns at once, which I think might be useful.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.timmcode.ghcampaigntracker.droid&hl=en

I downloaded the monster app and keep forgetting to actually use it.

We’ve used the Gloomy Companion webpage that simulates monster decks since our first mission. I love it! It also does the math for you on the card (calculates damage and movement, reminders about effects like shields and poison).

I’m using the Gloomhaven Campaign Tracker. It’s pretty great. Instead of burning through the supplied character and party pads, it tracks all that stuff within the app, without spoiling anything on future character unlocks.

Have any of you guys painted the minis for Gloomhaven? I’ve borrowed my friens’s Cragheart to paint him up. I didn’t like him at first, but now I’ve embraced being a dangerous dirt wizard. The mini is tiny, but he’s probably the easiest one of the bunch to paint.

I haven’t painted, but I did recently retire my Cragheart and loved him! How can you not like throwing giant rocks and punching enemies through terrain? We house-ruled that you can punch enemies through doors to get the damage bonus as well. It’s not clear to me if it’s legal, but my partner and I both agreed it was way too badass exploding a door with an enemy’s body to not be allowed. I recently switched to a Scoundrel who is great in her own ways, but I do miss the bashing.

I did paint up my Brute, took it home with me and hurriedly painted before our next session. It is the only painted one, so it stands out. Since i have painted him, I have not moved pushed to move my personal quest forward… kind of attached poor lug. I got rid of the 1 loot card he had and spend any money he gets on blessing cards. its his story, he cannot keep money.

I am sooo tempted to get this but I don’t have a big enough table, the set-up and rule-reading is daunting af, and I have no friends who are into board gaming. Solitaire might be fun but I need a whole 'nother room in the house.

So instead I reinstalled Pillars of Eternity.

Finally played my first game. Ran a Mindthief / Cragheart combo. I didn’t do well. The Mindthief was mostly ineffective. The lack of health meant that I had to scuttle two cards (one to protect from damage, the other for a long rest) by the time I’d completed the first room. I also didn’t ever use my summon, which I regretted. I was saving it for the final room, only to realize too late that my hand was too small for the summon to be effective by that point.

The Cragheart was better and did most of the killing and CC.

Despite all that I made it to the final room, and I had an AOE attack lined up that would have taken care of the hardest baddies in that room. It would have left me w a punchers chance against the remaining two. Unfortunately I drew a -2 modifier that neutered the attack, and in the end my Cragheart was butchered while my exhausted Mindthief watched.

Was fun. Looking forward to playing again, although I’m not looking forward to setup. It is definitely hard, and I was only playing on lvl 1. My next game I might boldly try and open the first door while still fighting in the first room to see if I can take care of everyone at the bottleneck before taking a long rest. I also hope to have a better run of luck.

There was a lot to remember, and I consistently failed to award experience. I also messed up the monster attack modifier deck… Shuffling it when I shouldn’t have.

I did use the Campaign Tracking app, and it was very useful, although I wish it would automate the calculations. For example, if I start w 30g, and then select some items, it should reduce my gold. Instead I have to manually calculate and update.

I’ve played a bunch of randomly generated scenarios to try to get a feel for the starting classes/characters. Interested in what some of you solo players feel on the following questions:

1. Ideal number of characters at start? I’ve seen 2 as recommended for new players. I can make an argument for 3, I think. 4 maybe, with some experience?

2. Which classes are must-use at the start for easing into the campaign?

I think four can grind down a little until everyone gets a hang of things. Three is a good mix of recreating that “party-based dungeon crawl RPG” feel that I crave and efficiency. Two is definitely faster, but I think the reduced tactical options and opportunities for roleplay make it lesser.

We are just starting our first scenario and on the way got a road event that says all characters start with bless. I found the sticker, but I don’t know what to do with it.

Also, I can’t find the bless cards you can get by donating to the temple.Ideas?

Thanks and sorry for the stupid questions.

No sticker. Bless means you add a hero 2x card to each hero action deck, same as when you donate. They should be in the box.

Isn’t the bless condition one 2x card, while the donation city action gives two 2x cards?

Also, remember to remove added 2x/miss card at the end of each scenario.

Correct!

I assumed he knew that.

I see, I misread; I parsed it as 2x bless card.

No worries. I am on my phone stuck in a car so I am probably not coming across super clear.

Thanks guys!