Gloomhaven - Tactical Combat in a persistent world!

We’re at Prosperity 3, and so far we have not failed any scenarios. There hasn’t been any consequences of failing the scenarios that we’ve seen. I’ve not seen any indications of there being any such mechanics either.

I do see that people might want those kinds of effects in order for the world to feel more reactive, but I have rationalized that it is part of the price paid for a very functional and interesting campaign-mode dungeon-crawler. Come for the tactical game-play, stay for the tactical game-play with some sprinkles of NEW AND FANCY STUFF!

There are some consequences in what sequence you play scenarios, though. We have locked ourselves out of some scenarios due to the path we chose to take.

This is correct; and you do not need to do another Road Event unless you return to town before retrying.

Thanks Jorn

The consequence of a failed scenario is the time spent. It’s pretty video gamey in that way, and it’s meant to not be that punishing (because spending a couple of hours on a scenario without beating it is kind of a feel-bad moment in its own right).

You still receive looted gold and experience from a failed scenario. If you had to house rule something, I would nix that.

If you really wanted to do something more drastic, you could mess around with the prosperity level after a failed scenario. Or maybe play with permadeath but have new characters always start at level 1. The game wasn’t designed with these things in mind, though, so just be warned that they might throw off the overall campaign balance or progression rate.

The scenarios do get more interesting. The second one adds some wrinkles that upped the challenge for us.

My wife wants to use the character wound / death scratch off cards from Pandemic to possibly kill off Gloomhaven characters when they get exhausted. Prosperity and reputation could be adjusted too. Maybe lose one of the character upgrade perks or something.

sounds like expansion pack material, along with a Necromancer class/enemy lol (assuming there isn’t already one…)

I replayed the first scenario last night and was finally successful! Things went much much better with my Mindthief/Cragheart combo as I finally had a better grasp on the Mindthief’s style. My success was bolstered by two very early x2 modifiers which let me wack some bandits. I cleared the first room without having to long rest and only taking 2 damage.

The Mindthief is great for solo because of both the summons and the mind control. Some of the bandits drew a strong retaliate card, and it was nice having one hit the other, and both of them taking damage. Likewise, the push cards from both the Cragheart and the Mindthief were useful in separating melee enemies for easy takedowns.

One question that I saw mentioned above re: the Mindthief. If I use a mind control action on an enemy, does that take that enemies action for the turn? Followup, if I have a mind-control that says ‘attack 2’ - which modifier deck is that subject to? I was using the monster deck… is that attack subject to any other modifiers/augments that I might have going at that time?

The one mistake I made was that at the end I should have burned a turn looting the final room, but instead I had my rat swarm finish off the last bandit.

I’m hoping I can pull it out again tonight and take on scenario 2!

Pretty sure it does. I’d have to see the actual wording, but almost positive it acts on it’s turn.

As far as which deck… whoever’s turn it is I would assume and it would use their modifiers, if any.

I picked up my own copy of Gloomhaven at the Compleat Strategist in Boston. This is a pretty eccentric store that is in the very back of a large building. If you didn’t know exactly where it was you would never find it. But, you might get a nice tattoo at the tattoo parlor immediately in front of it.

I was buying some warhammer models and I asked the clerk if he thought he would ever get a retail copy of Gloomhaven. He said, “oh, I have one, over inside that box”. There was a brown shipping box on the floor in the corner. Inside there was a brand new copy of Gloomhaven. $140, no shipping costs, I’m in.

So, I agree that you can run a campaign and have characters/players hop in and out of the campaign without any trouble. But how about a character hopping back and forth between copies of Gloomhaven. I’m all in with my cragheart in my friend’s game. I want to keep playing with him in my copy. Does that break the time space gloom continuum in some way?

The starting card that let’s you move an enemy does not, you just move a unit with you controlling the action, but future cards state that the enemy turn it’s allegiance is flipped.

It’s important to note that, like summoned creatures, you don’t get to control the creature, it behaves like an enemy in that it will find a focus and try it’s best to maximize damage against that focus and other nearby targets in range, if applicable. It’s just that your enemies are now its. :)

Can’t help with your question much, but wanted to say that I loved this place back in the day when I was living nearby.

@Rob_O_Boston1 I think this might be a bad idea. You’ll be getting the benefit on one character for multiple (duplicate) events, if nothing else.

I have no idea how that wound up quoting me but I am confused and afraid.

Oh wild. I clicked on your quoted text to get to the entire post so I could read it all before answering. I guess doing so kept you in the context somehow? No idea. Discourse! I will fix it.

If you force the monster to perform an action on your turn, that does not consume their action on their turn. If you change how the monster acts on their turn, then that will be on their turn (but importantly, you can’t do that to a monster that’s acted before you). Either way they use the monster modifier deck and apply any effects that are on their stat card. If they’re taking their own turn they would also use any effects on their action card that are relevant.

Got it - thanks to you and @Scotch_Lufkin for helping clarify. Sounds like I was playing correctly.

Another Mindthief question:

If I mind control an enemy to attack another enemy, and the mind controlled enemy’s monster card for that round has a poison effect on it, does the mind-controlled attack inflict poison? Or only the attack he does during his own, non-mind-controlled turn?

The card @Scotch_Lufkin had an image of would have poison, as the monster would perform its action card. A mind control effect that said “A monster performs Attack X with you controlling the action” would not.

I am not sure how this interacts with monsters that have Poison printed on their stat cards, though.

I believe printed effects (like Curse) take effect like any “Attack X” action taken by said monster would do. That’s just my gut, I don’t have a source to cite.

I mean, thematically this makes sense to me.

Well, well, welly wellerston well. Welcome back, fellow fan of number two.