GMT The Spanish Civil War (PBF) - “Glory of war, indeed!"

Turn 4 Begins-October, 1936

Soldiers

The sequence is as follows:
A) MUTUAL ADMINISTRATIVE PHASE (MAP)
(Nationalist, then Republican in all segments)
I. Event Chit Segment (6.0)
a) Draw chit
b) Add new chits (if appropriate)
II. General Mobilization Segment (Republican only, 7.10)
III. Resource Point and Reinforcement Segment
a) Withdrawals & Conversions
b) Receive RPs and Rebuild Units
c) Reinforcement Entry
IV. Strategic Movement Segment (11.0)
a) Sea Movement (11.5) & Paradrops (PB 17.5.5.12)
b) Rail movement
V. HQ and Reserve Formation Segment (12.1)
a) Flip all in-supply HQs to available side

We’ll go through the end of Nationalist III Segment. The The Republican criminals will go then,. Segment II, General Mobilization, cannot occur unless Republican Morale is 20 or less, which it is not. It is at 44.The Republicans control 8 MLs of Nationalist Cities (they need 10 to win in Sudden Death).

So:

a) Draw chit

Premier Raigada drew his chit and it’s event was:

Event 2: Durruti Dies!
This chit must be played when drawn. The famous anarchist
leader Buenaventura Durruti, commander of the column of the
same name, dies in combat while trying to rally his men. Decrease
RML by one point to 43.

Imitate! The Hero of the People!

The Nationalists drew:
No Event!

Replacements: Recieving 1 RP, The Nationalists rebuild the Sueiro Column in Medina del Campo.
Reinforcements:
The Italians send a Squadrone of Savoia-Marchetti SM.81 Pipistrello Bombers to aid the Nationalists.
South: The Baturone Column is still delayed as Granada is OOS as are all hexes in a 2-hex radius. The colonial Alonso Column arrives in Cadiz, as does the colonial Mehala Column (Moroccan troops) as 1207 is OOS.

SM%2081

Here is the Map at the end of Nationalist Resource Point and Reinforcement Segment. I now hand over to the President leading the radical bent on the destruction of everything since La Reconquista.

This series is excellent. Granada TV from the 80s. Here’s a link to the first episode.

The Republicans use the sad 2RP they get to reinforce some units on the south.

A column gets shifted into a division next to Zaragoza, and another is substituted by one (withdrawal) in the Toledan mountains.

Turn 3 (October, 1936) Strategic Movement Segment

Train

Nationalist Strategic Movement Segment
b) Rail movement

Supply is checked for every unit of both sides at the moment of combat resolution and at the start of every…
• Strategic Movement Phase (A-IV);
• Operational Movement Phase (B-I and C-I);
• Exploitation Movement Phase (B-III and C-III); and
• End of Turn Phase (D-II-a).

The Nationalists have no sea movement capability this turn but may rail move 4 Column/Brigade sized units (or use 2 moves for one Division).
In the South: The colonial Mehala and Alonso Columns rail from Cadiz to to 1809; the Beorlegui and Latorre Columns, rail from 3415 and 3414, respectively, to Salamanca.

The Map the end of the Nationalist Strategic Movement Segment

Two units from Valencia and next to Huesca move to South of Jaén to try to stop the expected attack there.

I do not know if it is historically relevent, but the depiction of the Republican breakdown is quite striking.
It’s a very enjoyable read, and easy to follow too.

A small typo that has been bothering me throughout: shouldn’t premier Raiaga be premier Raigada?

Thanks, for the nit pick, @Left_Empty :)

Seriously, there are too many typos to even count; unfortunately the Forums aren’t Wordpress and we are generating a LOT of content.

I am glad you are enjoying it!

Turn 4 (October, 1936) Nationalist Operational Movement Phase

The line in and around Jaca-Tudela is compacted, following last month’s loss of Zaragoza. The Asturias front is re-sealed, after the Carlist Columns were shifted from near Pamplona to Salamanca by train. From there they now head through the mountains Southwest of Madrid towards Toledo. The Army of Africa lines up to attack eastward, from Montanchez Southwards to Malaga. We are attempting to uncover Madrid to its South along three Operational Axes, generally along the lines of: Toledo, Ciudad Real and Malaga.

Requetés Carlistas forming up in Salamanca.

After Nationalist Operational Movement, the map looks like this:

Turn 3 (October, 1936) Combat Declarations:

The first week of October saw the Army of Africa launch 3 offensive lines of attack South and Southeast of Madrid in an attempt to take advantage of the Republic’s myopic obsession with offensive attacks near the Pyrenees. Franco and Yagüe designed these attacks to isolate Republican strong points, putting them out of supply, while maintaining supply lines Eastward, and North to the ammunition-starved Mola.-The Spanish Civil War: Columns and Divisions, Oliver Birdsong, Random House, 1984. This is not a real book, nor a real quote, nor a real “October Plan”.

Combat A - Battle of Montánchez- 7:1 net DRM +2 (+1 Concentric Attack, +1 Colonial, +1 OOS, -1 Town).

The Delgado Serrano Column, the Pujalte Column, and the Cáceres Garrison attack the Badajoz Militia. Their mission is to take the town and then drive east to link up with General Monastario’s Cavalry, having secured supply to the North,

Delgado%20Serrano

The Regulares maneuver into position outside of Montánchez.

Combat B - Battle of Zorita- 7:1 net DRM +1 (+1 Colonial, +1 Concentric Attack, -1 Minor River).

The Castejón and Tella Columns attack the Mena Column.

Castej%C3%B3n

Colonel Castejón has received orders from Yagüe not to underestimate the enemy or situation despite overwhelming strength and superior troop quality. Yagüe was overheard telling Castejón, "Hasta el rabo, todo es toro/Until the tail, it’s all bull."

Combat C - Battle of Logrosán- 5:1 net DRM +2 (+1 Colonial, +1 Concentric).

The Asensio Column and the General Monastario’s Cavalry Column are attacking the Uribarri column (a.k.a. “Phantom” column).

Carlos%20Asensio%20Cabanillas

Colonel Carlos Asensio has been told by Yagüe to be South of Madrid by the time the leaves start to turn. His blood is up again.

Combat D - Battle of Moral de Calatrava- 5:1 net DRM +1 (+1 Colonial).

The Sáenz de Buruaga Column and the 2nd Tercio of La Legion are attacking the Temple y Rebeldía (“Spirit and Rebellion”) Anarchist Militia Column".

S%C3%A1enz%20de%20Buruaga%20y%20Polanco

General Yagüe once again trusts the warhorse, Colonel Sáenz de Buruaga, with this attack.

Combat E - Battle of Málaga- 16:1 net DRM +2 (+1 Colonial, +1 Naval Support. Odds Shift 1L, City).

The Ceuta Regulares, the 3rd Tercio of La Legion, and…well more troops than I’d care to write about are attacking the Almería Anarchist Militia Column.

General Yagüe isn’t too worried about this one, He is there directing it personally, but only because the Breakthrough afterwards needs his personal touch.

We await Republican Air and Naval Commitments before Resolving our attacks.

I think the game might be over for the Republicans. The Nationalists are wising up in their attacks and our Cadiz Gamble didn’t pay off and was too costly. Basically I chose a win early or suffer strategy, and it’s now time to suffer :P.

Anyways, 2 air support to combat D, making it roll on the 3:2 table.

We will also naval support combat E, just for show. That will still be a +2drm (net +1 and another +1 for going over 7:1 odds on the 7:1 table.)

October 9. 1936:The Army of Africa Pivots East.

These Battles will be resolved South to North, E-A, because…well that’s the way El General wants it.

Combat E - Battle of Málaga- 16:1 net DRM +2 (+1 Colonial, +1 Odds Table, +1 Nationalist Naval Support, -1 Republican Naval Support). So 7-1 odds, +2. The die roll is a “1” , modified to a “3”. The result is a 0/4, Defenders are eliminated, the Attacker get Breakthrough Movement of up to 3 MF.

Combat D - Battle of Moral de Calatrava- 5:3 net DRM +1 (+1 Colonial) So 3-2 odds, +1. The die roll is a “3”, modified to a “4”. The result is a brutal 2/2; the the Defenders are eliminated and the the Attackers suffer 2 step losses and may Breakthrough up to 1 MF…

*Combat C - Battle of Logrosán- 5:1 net DRM +2 (+1 Colonial, +1 Concentric) So 5-1 odds, +2 DRM. The die roll is a “2”,modified to a “4”. The result is a 1/3; the Defenders are eliminated and the Attackers take one loss, General Monastario’s Column. The Attackers may Breakthrough up to 2 MF.

Combat B - Battle of Zorita- 7:1 net DRM +1 (+1 Colonial, +1 Concentric Attack, -1 Minor River)… So 7-1 odds, +1 DRM. The die roll is a “2”, modified to a “3”. The result is a 0/4; the Defenders are eliminated and the Attackers may Breakthrough up to 3 MF.

Combat A - Battle of Montánchez- 7:1 net DRM +2 (+1 Concentric Attack, +1 Colonial, +1 OOS, -1 Town)… So 7-1 odds, +2 DRM. The die roll is a “1”, modified to a “3”. The result is a 0/4; the Defenders are eliminated and the Attackers may Breakthrough up to 3 MF.

All Breakthrough Movements reflected on Map below

Map at the end of Turn 4 (October 1936) Nationalist Operations Phase:

The Republicans are desperate. They could play it safe. Or not.

If you know me at all you know the answer.

Global situation:

Attack A:

10:3 attack on Oviedo

Attack B:

10:3 attack on Granada.

Attack C:

4:2 attack against the colonials next to Ciudad Real.

Waiting for the mighty Nationalist air force to make its appearance and destroy all our hopes. Very clever not playing any air support. You lost your big attack opportunity, but you didn’t really need it.

The Nationalist Air Counter +1 supports Granada.

The Italians (+4) Support Oviedo.

Ok, resolving Granada first.

It’s 10:4, -1drm for provincial capital and one column shift left, so resolved on the 3:2 table.

Motivational roll coming up:

It’s a 2. so another -1drm.

Combat roll next:

It’s a 2. minus 2 a 0 or a 3/2 in the table. Granada falls, but Republicans pay a heavy price.

Attack C now.

It’s a 2:1 with a -1drm for attacking colonials.

It’s a 1. No attack. Aaaargh…

And now Oviedo, which is going to be a disaster:

It’s a 9:7, so resolved on a 2:3 and a -1drm due to crossing a river.

It’s a 4. Normal attack. I was actually rooting for a one.

It’s a 3. Minus 1 a 2. Or a 3/0.

Disaster looms…

Unless…

With Granada falling Republicans now hold 10VP worth of locations. The Nationalists need to take out one of these cities to avoid Sudden death.

Situation after the attacks:

Over to the Nationalists.

With the ammo shortage over their attacks in the north can now start.

Turn 5 Begins-November-December, 1936

The sequence is as follows:
A) MUTUAL ADMINISTRATIVE PHASE (MAP)
(Nationalist, then Republican in all segments)
a) Draw chit
II. General Mobilization Segment (Republican only, 7.10)
III. Resource Point and Reinforcement Segment
a) Withdrawals & Conversions
b) Receive RPs and Rebuild Units
c) Reinforcement Entry
b) Rail movement
V. HQ and Reserve Formation Segment (12.1)
a) Flip all in-supply HQs to available side

We’ll go through the end of Nationalist III Segment. The The Republican abominations will go then,. Segment II, General Mobilization, cannot occur unless Republican Morale is 20 or less, which it is not. It is at 40 something.The Republicans control 10 MLs of Nationalist Cities (they need 10 to win in Sudden Death). So if the Nationalists cannot retake something this turn, it’s over!

So:

a) Draw chit

Premier Raigada drew his chit and it’s event was:

…secret…

The Nationalists drew:
Event 4: Nationalist RPs 1( RP).
This chit must be played when drawn. Add the number on the
chit to the current Nationalist RP total. These bonus RPs may be
used in the MAP of the current Game Turn.

Munitions

Replacements: Recieving 2 RP, The Nationalists rebuild the General Monastario’s Column in Valladolid and the Muñoz Column in Avila
Reinforcements:
South: The Baturone Column arrives n a 2-hex radius of Granada at 1610. The Borbón Column arrives in Cadiz, as does the colonial Galera Column as 1207 is OOS.

Here is the Map at the end of Nationalist Resource Point and Reinforcement Segment. I now hand over to the President leading the Communist murderers bent on the destruction of everything human.

This turn is sort of important for the Republicans.

First of all, get get 4 extra air support, regaining parity with the Nationalists.

Reinforcements are small, but they are full force divisions, not columns, and they give ZoC.

We also get our first conversions/withdrawals. A lot of units withdraw (two of those from the eliminated box, which incurs 1 Morale point penalty) and many convert into stronger versions.

The withdrawn units allow reinforcements to be placed on their position, and we use that to keep a ZoC “gruyere” front line.

Note that even though we are playing with infiltration rules, in order to move from a ZoC into a ZoC, units need to start in the ZoC and even then the moment a ZoC hex is entered the unit must stop (this is only not so during rail movement or during Breakthrough).

This means enemy units can not reach Madrid this turn.

The defense is spotty at best, but I only need it to stand one turn.

Down in Granada the unit withdrawing at hex 1512 gets substituted with a ZoC unit.

In the north we get another Northern RP, which we used, along with the 2 we had stored, to replace all units we lost in last turn ill fated Oviedo offensive.

(Santader is safe this turn because of ZoC issues, but certainly not next turn)

Finally we use the RP we get this turn to build a unit in Segovia, which is identified as the main threat.

Over to the Nationalist strategic movement phase.

Turn 5 (November-December, 1936) Strategic Movement Segment

Train

Nationalist Strategic Movement Segment
b) Rail movement

Supply is checked for every unit of both sides at the moment of combat resolution and at the start of every…
• Strategic Movement Phase (A-IV);
• Operational Movement Phase (B-I and C-I);
• Exploitation Movement Phase (B-III and C-III); and
• End of Turn Phase (D-II-a).

The Nationalists have no sea movement capability this turn but may rail move 8 Column/Brigade sized units (or use 4 moves per Division).
The colonial Galera Column and the Baturone Column rail from Cadiz and 1810; respectively to Valladolid. The Bertomeu Column rails from Malaga to 3011. The Borbón Column rails from Cadiz to Puertollano. The Barrón Column rails from Puertollano to 3011 The Arteaga Column rails from Leon to 3011. The García Cobián and Rementería Columns, rail from 31610 to 3012.

The Map the end of the Nationalist Strategic Movement Segment:

We get 2 strategic move points this turn, so We reinforce Segovia, were the crucial battle will play out:

The Nationalists Surrender!

GettyImages-2658905

Sudden Death cannot be avoided.

More on this later, I am sure. Juan and I have similar strong feelings about the balance in this one.

I’ll let Juan really opine on this first, as I am the “losing” player twice, so hearing my opponent say that the Nationalists were well handled, but lost in one where it should not have been so tight means more coming from him than from me. .But to start the discussion, we feel that essentially the combination of a tenuous supply line to Cadiz with the aggressive moves the Nationalist Player has to make to liberate towns before enough fall to implement sudden death, make this a very tricky proposition given two experienced players. If the Republican is not aggressive, than all is well. If he is, it breaks what we think is the designer’s intent. This is unfortunate because the game was really fun! And really well designed, otherwise.

You forgot the last picture you had prepared, Mr. Mullen!

giphy

you made my day, @Left_Empty

What really happened was I rage quit over your pointing out a typo…damn it!

tenor