God of War 2

Icarus was a great fight. I’m now going thru Titan mode and I’m about to lose it. I’m noticing alot of small problems with the combat engine now that a single hit can pretty much ruin you. Such as when you come out of an evade roll there is one second that you can’t do anything which leaves you wide open for attacks. The horse keeper boss took me a hour and a half to get thru last night. Also is anyone having any luck using rage of the titans power? You can’t block with it and you can still take damage with it. I’m stuck in a section where I have to fight an anubi and those 2 guys with the spike ball and chain attacks. Crappy part is that I know I’m past the half way point, and I found all the gorgon eyes which means no more health upgrades.

Well the deed is done, I finshed Gow2 on titan mode today. Sucks that nothing good was unlocked, no hidden videos like in Gow 1. To survive I had to use all the magic powers at one time to get thru. When I beat the game it said that my rank was spartan, does anyone know what the rank means?

Greetings:
So, need a little help here. I’m on the Pegasus run after freeing Prometheus. The wave of Griffons comes at me, no problem, I can dodge their missiles just fine; then, right at the end of the first wave is this homing pigeon that hits me regardless of what I do and throws me off. I’ve waggled that f’ing stick as fast as my little fingers can go, and regardless, I die every time. Am I missing something here? Is there some way to kill that guy before he hits me? Or am I just not waggling fast enough?

I’ve got to say, I’m having a real hard time seeing what justifies the reviews here… sure, there’s some great cinematic presentation, but there are just tons of flaws with the actual gameplay.

Best,
Michael.

Is it the big raven like thing with the guy with the spear riding it? If so I think that’s when you go into a button press mini game. If it’s the actual fight part, use the forward dash to close the gap and use the triangle attack on the side and repeat until you have to avoid its purple fireballs.

I agree even after beating everything in the game, it does feel a bit over rated. I can’t stand the fact that enemies can knock you out of attack animations but you can’t do the same.

edit: Ok I think I remembered the part, if it’s just the raven without a rider on it, your only way to attack it before it hits you is to do the forward dash which I think does enough damage to set it up for the O finshing move.

Greetings:
Yeah, that was it. I got it after your first post reminded me about the dash attack. Unfortunately, there’s either something wrong with my controller or my waggle technique, as the problem I ran into after that was occasionally someone would jump over onto the pegasus and you have to waggle to get rid of them, but I couldn’t get that to work either. So, I eventually had to memorize the griffon sequence and dodge all the jumpy guys. It took a ridiculous number of tries, but I got through it eventually.

Put down under the list of bad game design decisions the idea that we should make the player do one specific move and if they fail that one move, they need to repeat the entire f’ing sequence over from the beginning.

Thanks for the help, pfreak.

Best,
Michael.

You can dodge the Ravens completely by dashing left/right.

By Design. It’s a fail safe in the unlikelihood that you saved at a save point with minimum health when enemies are attacking.

Just wondering but when your waggling the analog stick your not rotating the stick in a circle? Also depending on what difficulty level your playing on, the game expects you to do it faster, on titan mode during those flight sequences if I didn’t start doing it the second before it happened I wouldn’t be able to recover.

At least that health increase was one of the better design choices, there’s one part of the game that on titan mode I beat with I think 1 point of health left( I didn’t even have a green bar anymore) and I still had to get thru one more little part before finding another green chest.

This is my biggest fault with the game as well. It’s just a bit ludicrous how disconnected the fights can feel. I often have a hard time figuring out whether or not my attacks are actually doing any damage, or if my blades are just clipping through the enemies as some canned animation takes total priority.

The cerberus mini-boss fight broke me entirely from the experience, none of my different combinations landed a stun effect, grab moves weren’t viable, and outside of spamming magic or Rage of the Titans, the whole affair was a nickel and dime tickfest with constant block parries. Given the mostly rousing quality up to that point, I really questioned how this got into the final. I spent about a dozen attempts trying multiple strategies before ultimately resigning myself to simple lunges with endless blocks in between, anything further was punishment. Not fun or exciting.

Hell, even before the golden fleece came around, fighting medusa’s was a total question mark.

I also hate it when developers assume masochists that play harder modes are expected to button mash with even greater ferocity, as if it was the type of challenge we desire.

MGS2 on Extreme difficulty was a mostly fantastic stealth experience…up until the torture sequence before the final boss fight. I honestly believe there isn’t a mortal gamer alive that can mash a button fast enough to survive. Anyone claiming to have beaten that difficulty is a big fat liar, or ponied up for a turbo gamepad.

I’m stuck. I’m on the Isle of the Fates, having just found Eurayle’s key (iirc). Spoilers to follow (are there spoiler tags?):

From there I have to clear out a couple of cyclops. Mo problem. Then I move indoors and eventually come to a round room. There’s large button in the middle. Directly ahead (12 oclock) is a hallway with double gates. At 3 oclock is an alcove with a gate over it. At about 1:30 is a switch that opens that gate. At 9:00 is an alcove with a switch in it. Above the 1:30 switch is a little niche up on the wall containing two chests and something you can grappble onto to get up there (after you shoot some webbing with the bow).

I have no idea what to do. I opened the gate to the right, broke a wall, killed some bad guys, and found a corpse which I Deposited in the center of the room on the button (partially opening the gates in the hall ahead). The button in the niche to the left opens the gates in those halls fully. But about a half second to a second after I get off the damn thing, they close. I thought I was somehow supposed to put the grapple to good use, but I’ve been unable to.

Break through the walls in each alcove and you’ll find a stream running through both. Place the body in one and it will float to the other alcove where you can then lay his body on the switch.

Dammit, how the hell was I supposed to figure that out? Thanks.

My problem with the fighting in Gow 2 is that they’re not really meant to be a test of your skill in the game, but as a way to fit in as many tough enemies into a single spot at a time. The final section before the third fate sister was tough and I got thru it by exploiting little bugs I found in the Ai and by mashing on the magic button.

One section I remember where I didn’t really fight but cheated my way thru it. It’s when you fight the priests for the first time, who can summon minotaurs to fight you. First time I tried fighting normally but in less then 20 seconds there were 5 minotaurs in the place killing me. So then I figured out that you could just grab attack the priest and no one can stop you. After doing that the entire fight became meaningless.

I watched the special features today and found it hilarious that they mentioned that Hades from GoW 1 was NOT PLAYTESTED.

This was followed by, “and look how that turned out.”

Obviously it was totally awesome.

So, I’m sure there’s a simpler solution for this than what I’m doing, but how in the hell do you pass that part in the elevator with the skeletons and the spikes coming down? I’ve come close to getting the door open only once. The other hundred times were nowhere near. I’ve not yelled this much at a game in a very long time.

That part was a pain, the thing to remember is that the finshing O attack is the only way to quickly kill a skeleton, or you waste more seconds attacking them. I forget what magics you have unlocked at that time but several blades of chaos combos should be enough or titan mode to quickly wear down their health to finshing status. Then it’s just a matter of quickly tapping the button to get the door open.

I abused the hell out of the lightning power. By the time I was in that area, one lighting attack would either kill skeletons or bring them within 1 or 2 hits of death.

Awesomely sucky. I usually feel happy when I finally beat a tough encounter, but all I felt after finally beating the original God of War was rage, and not the good kind. I thought it was cheap, stupid, and poorly implemented. The final battle vs Ares, that is, not the whole game, which I generally loved.

I finally passed the elevator part using a flash freeze from the Euryale head to take out each group of skeletons at once. Even then I just barely made it through the door. Definitely not my favorite action game sequence.

There are some really long, difficult battles in this game compared to the first. Most of the boss battles are great and there are more of them this time around, but I still think the mechanical Minotaur from the first one is still one of the best.