Godzilla x Kong

A meet kaijute.

So, uh, any feedback on this one? Here’s one quote from a South African review that was interesting.

“It’s monumentally stupid, with terrible dialogue, phoned in performances, weightless CGI, and all the fidelity to physics of a Loony Toons cartoon. It’s also a total blast and easily the best MonsterVerse film outside of maybe Kong: Skull Island!”

The last Kong vs Godzilla movie was so incredibly horrible I’d already written this one off, but I do have a soft spot for titan destruction and did enjoy the earlier monsterverse movies to some extent.

Kermode not a fan.

So everything everywhere all at once thrown against the wall where plot is blah blah blah and then giant monsters destroy entire cities in five minutes.

Hmmmm.

I really liked both Kong: Skull Island and Godzilla vs. Kong (entirely unironically; they were in my top three for the respective years). This movie, my friends, is no Kong: Skull Island.

It’s two hours of CGI with no stakes, no characters you’d care about, and surprisingly little in the way of interesting action. That last part is maybe the most surprising one. The problem is probably that almost all the action is set in these CGI jungles and wastelands with a very ambiguous scale, and also is kind of fast-paced. It’s like watching a couple of monkeys fight, rather than watching these colossal beasts.

The plot is total nonsense, and not in a good way. Like, I tried writing out a summary, and it looked so stupid that I started having doubts about whether it really was the plot of the movie or if I’d just misunderstood something.

Me too! I loved those two!

Awww man.

I’ll retract what I said in that other thread ;-)