Gog 2014

The main thing to keep in mind here is you don’t HAVE to use Galaxy. At least that is what i’ve seen the GoG people say (over and over). It seems they are looking at a redesigned and more feature complete downloader/client, but you will still be able to download the GoG installers without it, it seems via any third-party downloader if i’ve read the comments correct.

So in principle this Galaxy thing is mostly just going to be for new games (or old games they can convert to use it’s features) that come ‘galaxy ready’ or some such. So from that point of view i can probably just ignore it and download the usual GoG installers to do with as i wish.

Those that want a more Steam-like experience when using GoG (sans DRM) for ‘achievements’ and ‘auto-patching’ and ‘online chat’ etc will get that from the new Galaxy client.

A Steam-like client without the DRM would push me towards GoG, especially since the prices for new games are cheaper as well (Steam has a terrible €1=$1 conversion rate, while on GoG I can purchase directly in $).

a version of Seven Cities of Gold:

Not one i knew about (only played the original C64 version). Is it good (as in ‘Pirates! Gold’ good)?

Holy crap!

I was just coming here to post about this. Remember the good old days when every EA release was a true event, not just a bunch of hype, and giants like Dan (nee Danni) Bunten walked the Earth?

I played the snot out of this back in the day on my Atari 800. From the screenshots it appears the graphics have been dressed up a bit - it looks better than I remember, and certainly better than other games of that era.

I wonder how well the game play holds up.

I have very fond memories of that game.

This is great. It could be the next Qt3 Gamers Club choice!

A nitpick, but fixed.

Yeah, I just got turned around on the usage of nee.

It turns out this is actually a graphical upgrade that came out for DOS in the 90’s. I had no idea such a thing existed.

Ah, the “joys” of a C64 and a 1541 churning away to create a new New World :)

(I can still hum the title screen song of SCoG and remember the quill writing the title…)

I went looking for some kind of version of 7COG awhile back and this was the only version I could find that ran (I think it must have been on an abandonware site). It seemed to be a decent update along the lines of Pirates! Gold. But I never played the original, so I don’t think I can give a great comparison. Really excited to see I can now get this legitimately.

Really cool news - I too have fond memories of my time playing (and loading …) games on my C64. I loved Dani Bunten’s games, played M.U.L.E. just an insane amount, but I don’t remember if I played Seven Cities of Gold. I must have, but it doesn’t ring any bells. I’ll definitely have to pick it up.

I remember that…wasn’t it like 30 minutes to create a new world?

I was under the impression that she preferred Danielle Berry. RIP.

Oooo…maybe the Nile version will come out next :)

Seven Cities of Gold is one of my all-time favourite C64 games / games in general. Right up there with Bard’s Tale for beating the snot out of the floppy drive.

While I’d love to see Heart of Africa it never had a PC release, only a C=64. I’d have loved a PC version (or re-make like the one GOG just landed on us). Anybody remember what the main gameplay differences between the original and re-make are? I know that rather than just “goods” it has been divided into categories. I think there are more types of men. Did they add a more in-depth combat (though I’d be against that – the original handled that perfectly in my book)?

I think it’s complicated. Bunten’s family now prefers that Bunten be referred to as Dan, but that could be against his/her wishes. Bunten did have later regret over sexual reassignment surgery, although that might not change any sexual identification he or she might have chosen. Anyway… complicated.

GOG seems to have a new login system that is just hanging for me. I have tried it on both Firefox and Chrome and I just get a spinning icon. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Just logged in using Chrome a minute ago and it worked fine. I’m assuming it was the new login system because I had to reenter my info, so I have no idea what might not be working in your case.

I was earlier, on Firefox. AFK now.

MouseCraft looks fun, if a little expensive for a puzzle game:

Ohhh! Linux now being properly supported:

http://www.gog.com/forum/general/gogcom_now_supports_linux/page1

It’s been a while since i was running a dual boot Linux/Windows setup, but for my new m-itx build i have been considering doing it again, and IF i can also buy games in DRM free form that work in Linux, all the more reason to reduce my reliance on Windows (especially looking at their recent moves to become even more restrictive etc). Thanks GoG :)