GOG 2019: Good Games Old and New

I like that inconspicuous shade at schreier/kotaku there.

Indeed.

On the topic of “Are there any old games they can still add?”, the first Diablo is now on GoG!

Edit:

High rez support could be sweet.

The Diablo soundtrack is such a superstar.

Well color me super fucking surprised.

Holy shit. I didn’t think GoG could add a game anymore that would immediately make me want to jump on it. But they’ve done it. I want to play this tonight.

The original time I played Diablo was when I was visiting my brother back in early 1997. I played as the Rogue and I finished the campaign. It was so much fun!

I briefly did try it again with the Hellfire expansion a couple of years later, playing as the Monk, but didn’t have fun.

But I always wanted to play it again to try the other two classes. Without the Hellfire expansion, of course.

You know, I don’t think I ever played the Hellfire expansion. Is it any good?

I didn’t like it. One of the new areas was an insect hive type of place, and it was tedious to traverse and fight, and it wasn’t balanced correctly like the original Diablo. There were sections that were way too easy. So they added new areas, but didn’t rebalance the enemies in the game overall to compensate. That’s my recollection of it.

Welp, I guess it is time to throw more money at my screen again. Keep it up GOG!

According to the FAQ on the Diablo site, Hellfire won’t be coming to GOG.

I wonder if that has anything to do with this old story. The Hellfire expansion is still considered non-canon by Blizzard to this day too. Would be interesting to have Hellfire as an option, but I wonder if this is more than just your usual “legal rights to the game” kind of thing.

Wasn’t Hellfire outsourced to Sierra?

Anyway, a great win for GOG. Very happy for them – this should bring in many new customers.

I’m curious to know how the higher resolution is handled. If you can see more of the map, wouldn’t you see a bunch of monsters standing around that won’t turn aggro even if you range attack them? The AI was designed around 640x480 (or in the case of D2, 800x600).

Even D2 was only 640x480. It was only retroactively increased to 800x600 by the expansion.

You aren’t the only one. I never figured there would ever be a Blizzard game on GOG. It’s probably because Activision is trying to wring every last nickel out of old Blizzard games.

Same here. Bought, even though I’m not sure it’ll hold up? Ah well, let’s take a look!

There’s been a mod available for several years that adds high resolution / frame rate and some other niceties to the retail version. I’ve been meaning to dive in since I adore Diablo 2 so much and never played the original, but I just kept bouncing off it. I’ll give it another shot here some day but I may have missed the boat on it.

I like the reduced scope of 1. It’s short and sweet. Doesn’t overstay it’s welcome.

Played it for a bit. Yep, definitely holds up, even if I do miss a few things (like the ALT-button to highlight stuff). It’s pretty great.

Yeah, I like how simple and straightforward it is. Sort of wish modern ARPGs maybe take a step back and go back to the core experience.

Did a 3p playthrough back in college with my roommates. I was the wizard, and as I recall Mana Shield was overpowered as hell, at least until Diablo himself. I didn’t have any problem going off on my own and tanking whatever came my way. Was disappointed when they nerfed it in D2.