Golden age of Gaming

Bullshit. I didn’t read or recognize comic books AT ALL during their “golden age,” but I understand perfectly well the reasons why people identify that time with what I pretty much agree after the fact was their apex. Some of that had to do with the comics themselves, and some of it had to do with the cultural moment in which they existed. In any case, your answer is too pat and too simple-minded to possibly be true–kind of like in the cases of Dawkins, Marx, Darwin, and Freud.

There hasn’t been, nor will there be, a golden age of gaming unless there is a massive shift in the gaming audience. Once the electronic gaming medium is as integrated into everyday culture as TV or radio has become, then we’ll have the potential for so-called “golden ages”. Gaming is still not mainstream entertainment, as much as folks like to think it is so. Gaming today does not yet appeal to a huge swath of the potential player population, whether that’s because of age, sex, racial, or cultural differences. It’s slowly heading that way, but there’s still a long way to go.

Now, personal “golden ages” are a different story. It’s been said above, but go back to your first years of gaming and I bet that’ll be a highlight. 'twas for me.

Computer and video games are a permanent fixture in our society. While the technology will change massively - and thereby change the games themselves - they will still be games.

When we are all dead - still there will be games.

I’ll buy into a Golden age of the Arcade - because I am not at all sure that medium will survive.

But Golden age of Gaming? Nah.

Is there a Golden Age of books?